Windows 10: Does Installing Pro Instead of Home Affects Storage and Performance?

Discus and support Does Installing Pro Instead of Home Affects Storage and Performance? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm just a newbie here, so I hope someone can help me. I never need any feature of Pro that isn't included in the Home version, but if there's no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by VJTigas, Nov 22, 2015.

1. VJTigas Win User

Does Installing Pro Instead of Home Affects Storage and Performance?

I'm just a newbie here, so I hope someone can help me.
    I never need any feature of Pro that isn't included in the Home version, but if there's no difference in the storage it will take up and the performance is still the same, I'd rather install the Pro version.

:)

VJTigas, Nov 22, 2015

2. Win 10 Pro auto installing instead of Win 10 Home

Download Windows 10 Single Language then use that to install Windows 10 Home:

Go to:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Before you begin

Make sure you have:

• An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
    • Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the ISO downloads and scripts.
    • 16GB or Greater USB Flash Drive for use on low disk space systems.
    • Micro-USB Adapter for using media on Tablets.

Click in the Select edition list box and choose your edition, Windows 10 contains both installation files for Home and Professional allowing you to select either edition during setup. Choose that, click confirm and wait while the option is validated.
    Do not refresh the page. If you are running Windows 8.1 with Bing edition, please make sure you select Windows 10 SL.

Only select Windows 10 N if you live in Europe, please note it does not contain Windows Media Player.

Does Installing Pro Instead of Home Affects Storage and Performance? [​IMG]

Click in the list box then select your language then click confirm
    and wait while the option is validated. Do not refresh the page.

Click your desired architecture then click save.

Follow the instructions to use either the
    Microsoft .iso to USB/DVD tool
    , Rufus or the Disc Image burning utility in Windows 7 or later to prepare the .ISO file. You can also mount the .ISO file in Windows 8 or later then perform an upgrade.

Prepare Windows 10 ISO file

After you have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO, you need prepare it, this is especially important for Windows 7 users..

After obtaining the .iso file you can use the built in Disc Image burning tool or Microsoft .iso to
    USB/DVD tool
    to create a bootable DVD or USB (requires a blank DVD or USB flash stick of at least 4 GB).

After downloading the .ISO file, right click it and click Burn disc image

Insert a blank DVD

Click Burn

Windows 8/8.1 users can mount the .ISO file and start the upgrade automatically. Learn more
    here

Important:

If you are creating a bootable USB thumb drive, make sure the thumb drive is first formatted as FAT32.

Connect the thumb drive

Open Computer

Right click thumbdrive

Click Format

Make sure FAT32 is selected as the file system.

For UEFI based systems

If your computer is UEFI based, these are normally systems that come pre-loaded with Windows 8 or later, you will need to prepare the ISO file for such a configuration or you will receive an error message
    during setup. The thumbdrive needs to be formatted as FAT32 and use the GPT partitioning scheme. To do this, you need to use
    Rufus, a small tool you can download for free.

Rufus - credit: Pete Batard/Akeo

After you have installed Rufus:

• Launch it
    • Select ISO Image
    • Point to the Windows 10 ISO file
    • Check off Create a bootable disk using
    • Select GPT partitioning for EUFI firmware as the Partition scheme
    • Choose FAT32 NOT NTFS as the File system
    • Make sure your USB thumbdrive in the Device list box
    • Click Start
    • Close when complete

How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Nov 22, 2015
  3. RAC1972 Win User
    Win 10 Pro auto installing instead of Win 10 Home

Hello,

I have a laptop which has been upgraded to Windows 10 Home, freely from Windows 8 (over the top install) - and activated.

I have since purchased an SSD and would like to install a fresh version of Win 10.

BUT it automatically installs Win 10 PRO and not Home ? - so I am obviously unable to activate.

I get NO option to select Win 10 Home on install. I have downloaded the latest version, 1511 but still the same.

Stuck, Help !

RAC1972, Nov 22, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The added features will take up more space, but I'm not sure how much. There is nothing in Pro to increase performance.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
  5. bro67 Win User
    It does not take up any space really. The only difference is that GPO is available, along with Domain features and a few other items that are not really going to be noticed by people.

bro67, Nov 22, 2015
  6. bro67 Win User
    It has nothing to do with storage and performance. I have been using the Pro editions of Windows since Windows XP. I chose that, because of the fact that you cannot fix GPO problems in Home, along with that you can harden up the OS for users to not be able to do certain things. Along with turning off that stupid Lock Screen that really does not even need to be available on a non-domain setup.

bro67, Nov 22, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then why is there a download necessary when upgrading from Home to Pro? The files that enable the extra functions in Pro are not physically present in a Home installation, they must be added, which means it must take up more space.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
  8. bro67 Win User

Because the majority of people do not need Pro, but it is a lot easier when dealing with OS issues. There has been an argument that Microsoft should have dropped the Home version before they came out with XP. The only two versions that everyone has been arguing about over the years that Microsoft should have, is Pro & Enterprise.

bro67, Nov 23, 2015
  9. PommieB Win User
    I'm on home, it's first in my computing life that I haven't been on either pro or ultimate, hate this home version there's that much missing, it's terrible OS, used mainly for install and go. I'll certainly be upgrading or moving to pro in the future.

PommieB, Nov 23, 2015
  10. topgundcp Win User
    The Home edition does not include certain premium features such as:
    • Domain Join
    • Hyper-V
    • Group Policy Editor
    • Remote Desktop
    • Language Packs
    • BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    Of course when you add more features, more space will be added. By how much ? I don't know but I think it's trivial. So you need to ask yourself if you really need those features. The only item that I think is good to have is "Group Policy Editor" which Home Edition is lacking. However, you can try to add this feature using this link below:
    How To Enable Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) In Windows 10 Home Edition

topgundcp, Nov 23, 2015
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi here

one BIG difference --if you need more languages then W10 Pro can work with multiple languages -- W10 home can only work with installed language.

Note also that even if a full language pack isn't available then you can still install what's known as a "Language Interface Pack" which translates most of the GUI etc into the desired language.

Another issue that quite a few want is that you need PRO to install / use HYPER-V - although if you want to run Virtual machines on your system then software such as VMware (workstation / player) or Vbox will of course work on HOME.

(I just missed the previous post in this thread -- who has the list much more succinctly than my post !!!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 23, 2015
  12. bro67 Win User
    No problem Jimbo. I have been dealing with three weeks of ongoing very severe back pain. It is beer and Dewers which is helping to block the pain from my mind. Of course I tend to develop Dementia and forget items that I catch and have to edit in later.

At one point I was going to play with domains as part of my coursework for my degree. But ended up changing my major after the first semester, because the lesson material was way below my learning curve.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Installing Pro Instead of Home Affects Storage and Performance? - Similar Threads - Does Installing Pro

2. Does clean install Windows 10 affects performance on laptops?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does clean install Windows 10 affects performance on laptops?: Hello I want to clean install Windows 10 What I mean by clean install is installing it from a USB boot drive due to some issues, however, I'm concerned that if I do so, windows may install drivers which are not optimized for my laptop, and will my Windows activation go away?...
  3. Windows home instead of pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows home instead of pro: i used a bootable media to reboot my pc but the time i put my product key back in my pc it showed windows 10 home instead of windows 10 pro. what i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-home-instead-of-pro/d2e64bdf-2e99-493c-8d6c-4531079f85ac
  4. How Much Does Virtualization Affect Performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How Much Does Virtualization Affect Performance: Good day to all of you, please pardon me if I have done something wrong such as setting an incorrect flair, it is my first time posting on this sub. So, I am currently making plans on making a PC next year, and really wanna run ArchLinux on it, as I've never ran Linux before,...
  5. Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro: My friend did a clean install of windows. He had windows 10 pro which was activated with his account linked to the key. He forgot that the media he used was fir windows 10 home. When he finished everything it said that windows was activated with a digital key linked to your...
  6. Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home

Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home: I purchased Windows 10 Pro directly from Microsoft. I downloaded and ran the Media Installation Tool. It did not give me an option to select Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro, it just had the option "Windows 10". I ran it from a computer that was already running Pro, and...
  7. Does dual-booting affect windows performance?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does dual-booting affect windows performance?: Note: This question is because I'm trying to diagnose the cause for low performance. Personal context: I have been using windows forever, and around 5 years back I started using ubuntu because of school and now job related work. I have also dual-booted many systems and they...
  8. Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead...

Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead...: My Dell XPS 8920 came with Windows 10 Home installed. After a few months, I purchased a W10 Pro license for the machine, and have clean installed Windows several times in the year since. Today, after installing two additional memory modules, and re-flashing the bios to the...
  9. Accidently installed pro instead of home

Accidently installed pro instead of home: HI all a complete newbie here, My problem is that I have installed Windows 10 pro instead of the Home edition, my laptop says I have the digital licence for the Home edition and I need to install Windows 10 Home but I cannot find anywhere for a free download etc, I haven't...
  10. Installation setup Home instead of Pro.

Installation setup Home instead of Pro.: Today I had to do a clean install of Win10 which I did from a USB with the Win 10 install software on it. When completed the installation I notice it is now running 10 Home. When I run ShowKey it seems that the installation has picked up the original 8.1 OEM key from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when upgrading from win 10 home to win 10 pro affects your file