Windows 10: Does Installing Windows 10 overwrite the Windows 8 UEFI password?

Discus and support Does Installing Windows 10 overwrite the Windows 8 UEFI password? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 Enterprise from my work's license on a computer that originally came with Windows 8 Pro. I realized that I didn't want the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by it7276, Sep 3, 2015.

1. it7276 Win User

Does Installing Windows 10 overwrite the Windows 8 UEFI password?

I installed Windows 10 Enterprise from my work's license on a computer that originally came with Windows 8 Pro. I realized that I didn't want the Enterprise version since it requires me to check in with the KMS server, which means if/when I leave the job the Windows won't work.

My question is, did installing Windows 10 and formatting the HDD overwrite the Windows 8 product key stored in the BIOS/UEFI? I found a few tools (including Belarc) that were supposed to pull product keys from the BIOS, but since I have Windows 10 installed it pulls a product key for Windows 10. I'm trying to find out if I can get an installation disk for Windows 8 Pro if it will actually let me install it or if it'll just prompt me for a product key (which I didn't write down before installing WIndows 10).

The Product Key definitely is not written on the outside of the computer, and I tried contacting Lenovo support and they said they couldn't tell me the product code but they could sell me a recovery disk (which I'm pretty sure is just the standard Windows 8 Pro installation disk, which I'm not sure if it would work if the Windows 8 Product Key in BIOS was overwritten by the Windows 10 install).

Thanks!

:)

it7276, Sep 3, 2015
  2. Time Lady Win User

Windows 10 Run DLL error message at startup

The repair does require the same amount of space as the current windows 10 installed. The Windows 10 upgrade will overwrite the current operating system whether 7 or 8/8.1, the upgrade repair will upgrade you to the current Fall version of Windows 10.
    It would install on the C drive.

Alas I don’t have any further options.

Time Lady, Sep 3, 2015
  3. Rafael R. Win User
    Windows 10 32-bit native UEFI install on Desktop/laptop with processor intel core i3/i5 or its amd equivalent

UEFI 2.0 support was added in Windows 8, so you're good to go w/ a native UEFI install of Windows 10 32-bit, if your system firmware supports it.

Rafael R., Sep 3, 2015
  4. Does Installing Windows 10 overwrite the Windows 8 UEFI password?

Hi!
    No! The Key in Bios is stored for the lifetime of the Maschine. Win 10 don`t overwrite this key, Win 10 read only the key!

Cluster Head, Sep 3, 2015
Thema:

Does Installing Windows 10 overwrite the Windows 8 UEFI password?

1. Does Installing Windows 10 overwrite the Windows 8 UEFI password? - Similar Threads - Does Installing overwrite

2. Windows 8 - Forgot the password ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8 - Forgot the password ?: How do I reset the login password for Windows 8 please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-8-forgot-the-password/cce52ec5-7c9e-43da-b667-1b52e5d5545f
  3. Windows 8 - Forgot the password ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 8 - Forgot the password ?: How do I reset the login password for Windows 8 please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-8-forgot-the-password/cce52ec5-7c9e-43da-b667-1b52e5d5545f
  4. UEFI password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI password?: so recently I've sat a supervisor password for the UEFI and when I try to launch UEFI again. It asks for the password and i entered the supervisor password. But it results in "invalid password" I'm pretty sure that I was typing the correct one anyway suggestions on solving...
  5. Install Windows 10 in UEFI-MBR

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 in UEFI-MBR: Hi! I have a question regarding in installing Windows 10. Can I install Windows on a MBR partition scheme and boot it in UEFI mode? Thanks in advance! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-windows-10-in-uefi-mbr/5dde4d18-1255-4905-a58b-41aeb0bd2e89
  6. Windows 10 Home Overwrite

Windows 10 Home Overwrite: Hi, I used to use inactivated Windows 10 Pro on my PC but I realised I had activated on my laptop and thought I could use the digital license on that to activate it on my PC. I then changed the RegEdit to Home from Pro and installed a copy of windows on my flash drive and...
  7. Windows 10 overwrite windows 7

Windows 10 overwrite windows 7: Okay so basically, had some Computer problems. Finally got my computer to boot after buying a SSD and loading it with my Windows 7 disk (had it for a while.) Anyways my other HDD will not work on boot up but will be available once it's booted through the SSD my HDD though...
  8. Removed password on windows 8, will it affect windows 10 install?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removed password on windows 8, will it affect windows 10 install?: I had found a site that showed me how to remove the login password request from my windows 8 laptop. I don't remember what site I got this information from but now I'm concerned this will affect my windows 10 installation somehow. Can anyone help with this please? I'm not...
  9. Install Windows 10 in Uefi Mode.

Install Windows 10 in Uefi Mode.: I am wondering if I can install windows 10 creator's update on my new hp laptop, I have it on usb, in uefi mode. The reason I ask is that my older laptop, also an hp did not allow me to install via eufi, but in legacy only. I think it has something to do with oem windows...
  10. Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions

Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions: Hi people, I have some problem with installation Windows 10 UEFI on Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Actually I installed everything only my problem is because I could boot only if in BIOS is set option with Windows Boot Manager P1 Windows Boot Manager Samsung 850 EVO P1 Samsung...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. overwrite uefi password