Windows 10: Does it matter if I deactivate background apps in Windows 10?

Discus and support Does it matter if I deactivate background apps in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Does it have any disadvantages? Would like to do it to reduce the load on my PC. Is that helpful? TIA Ist es egal wenn ich Hintergrund Apps bei in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by eliqs10, Jun 28, 2020.

1. eliqs10 Win User

Does it matter if I deactivate background apps in Windows 10?

Does it have any disadvantages?

Would like to do it to reduce the load on my PC. Is that helpful?

TIA

:)

eliqs10, Jun 28, 2020

2. Background applications

Hi Robert,

We understand that you don't want some apps to run on the background of your computer. What we suggest is to
    control which apps are allowed to run in the background. To see which apps have permission, just follow the below steps:

• Open the Start menu or Start screen and select “Settings.”
    • Click or tap the “Privacy” icon in the Settings.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select “Background apps.”
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an “On/Off” toggle.
    Just bear in mind that, apps normally run in the background to update their live tiles, download new data, and receive notifications. If you want an app to continue performing these functions, you should allow it to continue running in
    the background.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Photos app hogging resources in background

Ian, this suggestion was posted on my other thread:

We understand that not all of users are using the Photos app on Windows 10, if not very often. If you don't want this app to be running on background when not in use, there is a way you can turn this
    off. Kindly follow the steps provided below:

• In Cortana, type Privacy Settings
      and press Enter.
    • Look for Background apps.
    • Look for Photos in the list.
    • Flip the switch to Off.
    • Restart your computer.

After you restart your computer, you can check if the Photos app is still running in background. You can use these steps to turn off any running background applications as it is not limited to Photos
    app alone. In this way, you can conserve a lot of power and process allowance.

I just followed these instructions, and now have to wait to see if it works. I'm hoping it solves your problem, too!

BarryG_961, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Jomel Ber Win User

Apps only run as background pocesses

Hi Carmine,

To manage background apps in Windows 10, you can follow these steps:

• Go to Start menu and select Settings.
    • Click on Privacy on the Settings window.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select Background apps.
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an
      On/Off toggle.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Jomel Ber, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Does it matter if I deactivate background apps in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Does matter deactivate

2. Windows 10 background apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 background apps: Is it safe to turn off Windows 10 background apps because the anti-virus is also a background app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-background-apps/de927197-888d-46f5-bbbe-6473a8dac3d6
  3. Windows camera does not recognise Facebook as a background app?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows camera does not recognise Facebook as a background app?: My camera does not recognise Facebook in the list of background apps. My logitech camera is not recognised when I try to do a facebook live from my PC. Can someone please help me with this...
  4. Windows 10 Deactivated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Deactivated: I used a Fortnite HWID Spoofer to get unbanned from the game, and I reinstalled Windows 10 and it gave me Windows 10 Home! Even though when I purchased my device it had Windows 10 on it, I dont get it what should I do?...
  5. Windows 10 - Background apps self starting and running in the background

Windows 10 - Background apps self starting and running in the background: I have noticed several Microsoft apps i.e., Alarms and Clocks, Calculator, Photos,Groove, notepad, Movies & Tv, and settings running as background processes, even though I have never used them. I have disabled these apps via Settings/Privacy/Background Apps, yet they continue...
  6. does deactivating windows 10 remove your data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    does deactivating windows 10 remove your data?: so i’m getting a new laptop really soon because my old one is in bad shape. what i was planning on doing is transferring my license from my old laptop to my desktop, which doesn’t have windows activated yet. if i deactivate the license on my old laptop, will i lose all the...
  7. Background slideshow on Windows 10 does not stick

Background slideshow on Windows 10 does not stick: I just bought a new HP Pavilion laptop for my wife and would like to have a background slideshow of pictures she likes. When I put the settings to Background slideshow and select the folder with the pictures, the slideshow starts and changes two or three picture but then...
  8. Windows 10 moving apps to the background.

Windows 10 moving apps to the background.: How can I stop windows 10 from moving apps/programs that I’ve opened and using into the background? I've gotten into Settings...Privacy...background apps... and that has not stop windows from doing its own things. Help please. Dave...
  9. Windows 10 Photos app background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Photos app background: Recently the default background for the Photos app on my Windows 10 desktop system changed from black to white. I do not recall changing any settings, and rebooting does not correct it. How do I change it back to black?...
  10. Windows 10 will not let me set a background image NO MATTER WHATCH

Windows 10 will not let me set a background image NO MATTER WHATCH: Hi, wondering if you all could help me. For some reason, Windows 10 will not let me set a background image through the personalisation menu, through the photos application, etc. Any photo I try to apply will cause the background image to turn black. I can strangely enough...