Windows 10: Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep?

Discus and support Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Long time reader, first time poster. :) I recently acquired a new laptop, my first one that supports modern standby (S0 low power idle). It appears... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kswartz, Oct 30, 2019.

1. kswartz Win User

Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep?

Long time reader, first time poster. Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep? :)

I recently acquired a new laptop, my first one that supports modern standby (S0 low power idle). It appears there are a number of subtle differences compared to the S3 sleep state I've become accustomed to.

In the Windows 10 Sign-in Options, under "Require sign-in" section, there is usually an option "When PC wakes from sleep", which will require a password when the machine wakes from sleep or hibernation. On this new laptop, that option is absent. It has the usual options of Never, Always, and 1 minute, 3 minutes ... up to 15 minutes. But the one to only require when waking from sleep is not there.

Is it possible that because modern standby never truly puts the machine to sleep, there is no way to require a password when returning from that state, and therefore it is not present?

The only other explanation I can come up with is that my company removed that option via a domain policy. But given they used to set that option by default, it seems unlikely (and, sadly, hard to track down).

TIA,
    Keith

:)

kswartz, Oct 30, 2019
  2. t0yz Win User

Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

3. Try3 Win User
    Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

I also have a computer that uses Modern standby and it cannot wake on a timed TS task either. It supports hibernation but not S3 sleep, just like yours.

Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep? [​IMG]

I think the [very short-sighted] idea is that you do not put the Modern standy computer into hibernation in the first place unless you are content to allow Windows to wake it whenever it feels like doing so
    - this implies that, before hibernating it, you must always choose a power plan that sends it back into hibernation after a short period of inactivity or that undesired Windows job will drain your battery without your knowledge.
    -This Modern standy computer is the only computer I have ever had that allows wake from hibernation without an AC power source [whilst it has never been documented, Windows has always refused scheduled wake from hibernation unless there was a power source].

I wouldn't mind but since Windows maintenance tasks do wake the computer from hibernation it's only me they are thwarting.

Denis

4. Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep?

Modern Standby - slow wifi after wake

I have fast internet speeds over wifi when I connect to the network (approx. 600Mbps). If my machine goes to sleep (modern standby enabled) and I wake it up after a while, speed drops from the original speed to a pretty constant 20Mbps. If I disconnect from
    wifi and re-connect the speed is back to normal. None of the other machines in my environment show this behaviour, older windows based Lenovo think pad and mac devices have consistently good performance. This is the first windows-based device supporting modern
    standby and the only device showing the issue.

Lenovo x1 Carbon 7th gen, with Intel AC-9560, all drivers up to date and firmware current. Have been observing this for a while and several driver iterations now. If I disable modern standby and select linux mode in the bios for standby the speed is normal
    after wake up.

I did research lenovo and intel boards and this problem seems to be rooted in windows.

GoetzPfeifferling, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep?

1. Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep? - Similar Threads - Does modern standby

2. Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report: Hi,I've disabled on one of the laptops all possible sleep settings that it can be. Laptop still goes into sleep at a random times when lid is closed.Sleep report shows ENTER REASON0x101 Transition To SleepWhat is that code or how to find out reason why laptop enters sleep.If...
  3. S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep: Powercfg /a tells that the only supported sleep state is S0 Low Power Idle. That is a very confusing thing, I could not find satisfactory information by googling. Is that sleep state supposed to arm keyboard/mouse wakeup the exact same way than S3? I see that if I force S3...
  4. Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC: Greetings, I am wondering if anyone knows how to create a sleep shortcut for a PC on 20H2 in modern standby. The old S3 shortcut and variants do not work with modern standby. rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 etc I'm aware of the PlatformAoAcOverride key to...
  5. No password protection at Startup, but does when waking from sleep

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No password protection at Startup, but does when waking from sleep: I've a problem with my new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. I wish to password protect it. In Settings>Accounts>Sign-In Options I have selected the option to require sign in when computer awakes from sleep. And indeed when it wakes from sleep I have to enter my pin,...
  6. modern standby problems entering to sleep

modern standby problems entering to sleep: Laptop Dell XPS 7590 Windows 10 2004build. I press the power button, laptop starts going to sleep, then if i was lucky enough when i close the lid after some time laptop stops responding to ping. But in most cases laptop just not going to sleep at all. Then if i look to...
  7. Modern Standby - slow wifi after wake

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Modern Standby - slow wifi after wake: I have fast internet speeds over wifi when I connect to the network (approx. 600Mbps). If my machine goes to sleep (modern standby enabled) and I wake it up after a while, speed drops from the original speed to a pretty constant 20Mbps. If I disconnect from wifi and...
  8. Disable mouse wake up in modern standby

Disable mouse wake up in modern standby: Hi, I have new laptop Dell which support modern standby. There is one thing, I can't disable mouse to prevent waking up from modern standby. My mouse does not have power switch, so every time when I put my laptop to backpack it wakes up, because of mouse. I have tried...
  9. Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby): So, I've spent the last week scouring the web for this and failed! I am trying to wake a Dell XPS laptop overnight to run maintenance tasks, including backup to local network server, and so far it has proven impossible. While in the "Resiliency Phase"...
  10. No ability to require a password when waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    No ability to require a password when waking from sleep: I'm hoping someone else has found a resolution to a persistent problem. I have no option available anywhere to require/not require a password when waking from sleep. I have a Windows 10 Home, 64 bit computer (in fact several of them) that is kept up to date with every Windows...