Windows 10: does MS backup restore create shortcut files which will only open when accessing the...

Discus and support does MS backup restore create shortcut files which will only open when accessing the... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I ran MS backup on external hard drive on windows 7 pc. this PC which subsequently died. I 'restored' the files to new PC windows 10. A whole stack... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LizBinet, Feb 9, 2020.

1. LizBinet Win User

does MS backup restore create shortcut files which will only open when accessing the...

I ran MS backup on external hard drive on windows 7 pc. this PC which subsequently died.

I 'restored' the files to new PC windows 10.

A whole stack of files I want and which I finally thought I located are all 'type shortcut'

clicking on these does not work.

I have an awful suspicion that I cannot recover these files now on a different PC? that the shortcuts link back to my old PC?

these files were not under 'documents' but I created separate files on C drive for these.

:)

LizBinet, Feb 9, 2020
  2. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Tried both of the VB Scripts that you provided and adding the 9 switch to the batch file but neither was able to create a shortcut to my desktop.

Flava0ne, Feb 9, 2020
  3. Flava0ne Win User

I've created a Batch file which calls on the following VB Script to be able to create a shortcut to my desktop:

VB Script (named createLink.vbs):
    Code: set objWSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") set objFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") ' command line arguments ' TODO: error checking sShortcut = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(0)) sTargetPath = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(1)) sWorkingDirectory = objFso.GetAbsolutePathName(sShortcut) set objSC = objWSHShell.CreateShortcut(sShortcut) objSC.TargetPath = sTargetPath objSC.WorkingDirectory = sWorkingDirectory objSC.Save[/quote] Batch File Example (for Windows Notepad):
    Code: @echo off cscript createLink.vbs "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] But after creating the shortcut using this method, I'm not able to assign a custom icon for the shortcut. I get the following error message when trying to do so:

does MS backup restore create shortcut files which will only open when accessing the... Error503.jpg

Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! *Big Grin does MS backup restore create shortcut files which will only open when accessing the... :D

Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut). Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. But I need to create several multiple shortcuts and using this Batch/VBS method would really save me a lot of time in doing so.

Flava0ne, Feb 9, 2020
  4. does MS backup restore create shortcut files which will only open when accessing the...

Hmm, I just tried it and it worked fine. Maybe try running the batch as administrator? Also, right click on the desktop after the shortcut is created and click Refresh.

If the file in the third parameter doesn't exist, it assumes the icon is in the application.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

does MS backup restore create shortcut files which will only open when accessing the...

1. does MS backup restore create shortcut files which will only open when accessing the... - Similar Threads - does backup restore

2. Restore iDrive Entire Machine Backup file to laptop's hard drive, which is not accessible.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore iDrive Entire Machine Backup file to laptop's hard drive, which is not accessible.: I am trying to restore an entire machine backup downloaded to an external hard drive from iDrive, using a bootable thumb drive that accesses idrive restore software. From there I am supposed to choose the backup file from the external hard drive and then select my laptop's...
  3. Restore iDrive Entire Machine Backup file to laptop's hard drive, which is not accessible.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore iDrive Entire Machine Backup file to laptop's hard drive, which is not accessible.: I am trying to restore an entire machine backup downloaded to an external hard drive from iDrive, using a bootable thumb drive that accesses idrive restore software. From there I am supposed to choose the backup file from the external hard drive and then select my laptop's...
  4. Which Windows backup type contains only the system files needed to install/restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which Windows backup type contains only the system files needed to install/restore: Which Windows backup type contains only the system files needed to install/restore Windows to a computer without a functioning OS? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup/3cbd7911-e1e0-4bd0-898c-f83fe60475dc
  5. how big does a flashdrive need to be to create a restore/backup?

how big does a flashdrive need to be to create a restore/backup?: For a restore/backup, how big a flash drive do I need? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-big-does-a-flashdrive-need-to-be-to-create-a/075e374b-22f9-4333-8506-48a4142de79f
  6. Backup, Create a Restore Point or Create a Recovery Drive?

Backup, Create a Restore Point or Create a Recovery Drive?: In case I get a virus, I want to create a backup which can make the computer exactly as it was before the virus with all files, programs, and disk drives (C and D) exactly as they were. Something like Apple's Time Machine. Windows has three different options and I don't which...
  7. How to open manually created backup files?

How to open manually created backup files?: So my Windows broke down 2 days ago. I don't know how nor why, but the computer wouldn't boot, and I had important files on it. I decided the best thing to do would be to use the backup function the OS provided when I booted from a memory stick, which I then proceeded to do....
  8. Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge: When using any version of IE Explorer, when viewing a webpage and want to create a desktop shortcut to that webpage I would simply right click just about anywhere on the webpage and select Create Desktop Shortcut from the drop-down Menu and Presto a new icon shortcut would...
  9. Backup and Restore Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Files: Hello and niceday to everyone. just joined this win10forum. I just finished upgrading from my win7 to this free win10Pro upgrade from microsoft, since yesterday everything works as normal and better than the previous win7. First thing I did after completing updates and...
  10. want to create a shortcut for ' create restore point'

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    want to create a shortcut for ' create restore point': want to create a shortcut for ' create restore point'. managed to find the ' use a restore point file' but this only allows restoration from a restore point not. relation of one. i know there a few ways to do this, but want to put a link on my start menu. cant be...