Windows 10: Does my old mobo need this AHCI thing?

Discus and support Does my old mobo need this AHCI thing? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My mobo is an old Intel DX58SO that came on a desktop PC I purchased in 2010. It has come from Windows 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 Pro without big problems for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Paultx, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Paultx Win User

Does my old mobo need this AHCI thing?

My mobo is an old Intel DX58SO that came on a desktop PC I purchased in 2010. It has come from Windows 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 Pro without big problems for itself. I never updated its BIOS or firmware or anything like that. I always followed the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" philosophy.

But today I saw this article about this AHCI thing. When I read the following part of the article, I decided to come here to ask you whether I might need it or not. I searched and found a lot of threads about the DX58SO mobo and about AHCI here, but found nothing about the relationship between them.

Essentially, IDE is considered adequate for the average computer user and is the most compatible with other technology, particularly older devices. However, it lacks support for new technologies. AHCI supports some important new features that IDE does not, such as native command queuing and hot-plugging hard drives. It also offers an improvement performance (speed) over IDE.

TIA.

:)

Paultx, Oct 30, 2019

2. Changing my MOBO and CPU a

I'm doing PC upgrades and changes entirely for my new mini-itx build.

I'm not sure about how the process would work, but what are the appropriate steps I need to undertake before making my changes?

• My personal data and files are backed up to my Onedrive, and have nothing to lose in terms of data.
    • I have an additional copy of Windows 10 (but would prefer not to use it in-case I do another PC build).
    • My MOBO and CPU upgrades are polar opposites of my current hardware:
      • OLD HARDWARE
        • Intel i5 6500
        • AsRock Killer MOBO
      • New Hardware
        • AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
        • Asus Strix X-470
    This is my first time doing a particular change so guiding steps would be greatly appreciated! Things like how to wipe my hard-drive and reinstall Windows, etc.

Chris Anguiano, Oct 30, 2019
  3. Drone Win User
    MOBO swap and AHCI

You can use virtual machine for that. This gives opportunity to play old games like Diablo in windowed mode.

Simply make an xp distro with integrated ahci drivers, boot from it and do repair, sfc scan and chkdsk fix and repair. When it's done use programs that clean unused drivers.

Drone, Oct 30, 2019
  4. Amol S. Win User

Changing my MOBO and CPU a

You will have to buy windows license if you change the motherboard, unless you made the computer originally in the first place, or bought a license key.

Amol S., Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Does my old mobo need this AHCI thing? - Similar Threads - Does old mobo

2. Does Install Mobo Driver Needed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Install Mobo Driver Needed?: Dear Microsoft Teams,Good evening. I hope you all are good and have a good health.I want to ask regarding the Installation of Motherboard DriversIn the future, i want to buy Asus PRIME B550M-A, 32GB DDR4 Ram, and ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 512GB PCIe Gen4x4 - R 7200MB/S W...
  3. Does Install Mobo Driver Needed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Install Mobo Driver Needed?: Dear Microsoft Teams,Good evening. I hope you all are good and have a good health.I want to ask regarding the Installation of Motherboard DriversIn the future, i want to buy Asus PRIME B550M-A, 32GB DDR4 Ram, and ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 512GB PCIe Gen4x4 - R 7200MB/S W...
  4. need driver Standard SATA AHCI Controller

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    need driver Standard SATA AHCI Controller: Hello, Dell XPS 13 9343 8 GB RAM 512 GB SSD I would get the Blue Screen of Death BSOD, even though Device Manager showed no issues. So I twice did a clean install of the latest Windows 10 available through the MediaCreationTool20H2, and then did all Windows Updates,...
  5. Does my mobo support UEFI booting, details below.

Does my mobo support UEFI booting, details below.: I know this is an extremely old board so I can't find details on it nor do I expect it to have UEFI capabilities but I found something that may give me hope. So based on 'systeminfo' in cmd prompt, the board is an 'Intel Oneonta Falls' board, currently has an American...
  6. Connect old chasis audio to new mobo

Connect old chasis audio to new mobo: Hello , i have a b250m motherboard and an old chasis, i never use before the front audio panel because I dont need to, and I dont know how to connect the separated cables to the front panel audio connector, but the scenario change i I really need to use know. The chassis have...
  7. Old / dry thermal paste on mobo

in Windows 10 Support
    Old / dry thermal paste on mobo: Hi, I hope general support is correct. I was cleaning the old thermal paste on a laptop and a little bit got stuck to the board. I swear I really tried to remove it. I tried using the lint free cloth applying a little pressure with a screwdriver, then a q-tip, and nothing....
  8. Need help understanding my Raid/ahci bios options

Need help understanding my Raid/ahci bios options: I have something I don't understand and my story is a little long so bear with me. I recently set up a Dell Precision T3600 workstation which is working with a ssd boot drive (on sata3 port 1 (my optical drive is on sata3 port 0) and a hdd storage drive which is on sata2...
  9. Mobo Drivers Update - Need Help

Mobo Drivers Update - Need Help: Folks, with Windows 10 (64-Bit) all drivers are getting installed automatically, but they are not always latest & some years old but all devices works flawlessly. Still, just for the sake of it I am deciding to install all latest drivers form Asus website and confused as...
  10. Does a monitor need to be plugged into mobo to use onboard graphics?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Does a monitor need to be plugged into mobo to use onboard graphics?: Does a monitor need to be plugged into mobo to use onboard graphics? I was told it was possible to have my browser use my onboard graphics (Intel HD 530) whilst my video-editing program uses my graphics card. OS: Win 10 Pro 64-bitMainboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, board...