Windows 10: Does my PC name matter for bit locker recover keys

Discus and support Does my PC name matter for bit locker recover keys in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, I need carry out a factory reset full, I've got my Bit Locker Recovery codes - but noticed that a recent name change I made to my PC is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by mixer11, Sep 17, 2023.

1. mixer11 Win User

Does my PC name matter for bit locker recover keys

Hi, I need carry out a factory reset full, I've got my Bit Locker Recovery codes - but noticed that a recent name change I made to my PC is not reflected in them. Just the old name. Does this matter? if so how do I resolve, many thanks

:)

mixer11, Sep 17, 2023

2. Bit locker key

Bit locker won’t except any of the keys from my Microsoft account. What’s the next step to get it unlocked?

Chicken chick, Sep 17, 2023
  3. Recover bit locker key

We purchased a Dell Inspiron 3583 computer for my nephew a little more than 3 years ago. His computer does not recognize the power cable and will not charge the battery, though it does run. He asked me to fix it. In doing so, I ran popular anti-virus software which located several viruses (not related to the power cable problem) and needed a reboot to remove them. Upon rebooting, Windows will no longer start.

My problem is that I have no choice than to restore Windows but to do so I need the bit locker recovery key. I was told by Dell that the key could be located on the Microsoft account associated with the computer. I logged into the Microsoft account and everything looks in order, however, when I click the manage recovery keys link I get taken to a page that says there's nothing to show you here.

Is there any hope of recovering the bit locker key? I do not have he Windows key either. Ill take either one of these keys but I can't boot the computer to get the Windows key. I'm happy to reinstall Windows, but I don't want to pay for a new copy of Windows when the computer has a legitimate copy and it's not our fault that the bit locker key is not accessible.

Any guidance would. be appreciated.

Peter

Peter Sparago, Sep 17, 2023
  4. Roohi_Taj Win User

Recover Bit Locker key to login through BIOS

Hi
    AbhishekEllangi

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can imagine how difficult it could be. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

I would suggest you to follow these methods and check if that helps.

Method 1: Find the Bit locker key.

I would suggest you to search for the Bit locker key, please refer the Microsoft article on
    Find my BitLocker recovery key.Once
    you have found the key, try to login and check.

Method 2: Enable Secure Boot.

It might be that the Secure Boot has been disabled and some BIOS updates have caused this to happen, so follow the below steps and toggle the UEFI Secure Boot in BIOS.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

1. Power the device off and then back on.
      2. Look for a message on the boot screen just before or after the manufacturer logo appears. You may need to press the “F1”,”F2”, or ”Delete” button, whatever key is indicated on the boot screen to enter BIOS
        Settings.
      3. Inside BIOS, look for a tab called BOOT and select that page.
        1. Depending on the BIOS manufacturer this page could be BOOT, ADVANCED, STARTUP, etc.
      4. Look for a setting for UEFI Secure Boot.
        1. Each BIOS could have a different name for this. These are the keywords to look for: UEFI, Secure Boot, Legacy Boot
      5. Toggle the Secure Boot setting to enable and attempt to boot the machine.

Regards,

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Sep 17, 2023
Thema:

1. Does my PC name matter for bit locker recover keys - Similar Threads - Does name matter

2. how to recover bit locker recovery key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to recover bit locker recovery key: Hello, I was using my own laptop a few years ago more than 4 years as mu company laptop until I got a corporate laptop.When I used my own private laptop I encrypted my hard drive due to the company's recommendation and accidentally removed my BitLocker recovery key. Yesterday...
  3. how to recover bit locker recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to recover bit locker recovery key: Hello, I was using my own laptop a few years ago more than 4 years as mu company laptop until I got a corporate laptop.When I used my own private laptop I encrypted my hard drive due to the company's recommendation and accidentally removed my BitLocker recovery key. Yesterday...
  4. how to recover bit locker recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Does my PC name matter for bit locker recover keys

Does my PC name matter for bit locker recover keys: Hi, I need carry out a factory reset full, I've got my Bit Locker Recovery codes - but noticed that a recent name change I made to my PC is not reflected in them. Just the old name. Does this matter? if so how do I resolve, many thanks...
  6. How can I recover my bit locker key?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I recover my bit locker key?: The key is not saved in my Microsoft account. my laptop is locked now.PLease drop your best answer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-recover-my-bit-locker-key/e3a79f3a-72b0-4924-80fb-cb6808b0d388
  7. How can I recover my bit locker key?

How can I recover my bit locker key?: The key is not saved in my MacroSoft account. my laptop is locked now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-recover-my-bit-locker-key/66249cd0-eac5-4777-827c-6acfa11b34bb
  8. Recover bit locker key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover bit locker key: We purchased a Dell Inspiron 3583 computer for my nephew a little more than 3 years ago. His computer does not recognize the power cable and will not charge the battery, though it does run. He asked me to fix it. In doing so, I ran popular anti-virus software which located...
  9. Recover bit locker key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover bit locker key: We purchased a Dell Inspiron 3583 computer for my nephew a little more than 3 years ago. His computer does not recognize the power cable and will not charge the battery, though it does run. He asked me to fix it. In doing so, I ran popular anti-virus software which located...
  10. Recover bit locker key