Windows 10: Does powercfg -requestsoverride actually work?

Discus and support Does powercfg -requestsoverride actually work? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've been looking at this on and off for months and have finally reached "make my own post" stage... hoping that someone has a solution as all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DetritusHoarder, May 16, 2020.

1. Does powercfg -requestsoverride actually work?

I've been looking at this on and off for months and have finally reached "make my own post" stage... hoping that someone has a solution as all the threads from Googling peter out into nothing, or are resolved by unplugging a gamepad, or people's "solution" is just to shut down the offending piece of software so there are no power requests (duh).

I use Voicemeeter, which holds audio streams open. I do not want this to stop my computer going to sleep, and powercfg -requestsoverride is apparently the way to do that.

This is my powercfg -requests output:

DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: [DRIVER] VB-Audio Cable A (ROOT\MEDIA\0001) An audio stream is currently in use. [DRIVER] VB-Audio Cable B (ROOT\MEDIA\0002) An audio stream is currently in use. [DRIVER] VB-Audio Cable C (ROOT\MEDIA\0003) An audio stream is currently in use. [DRIVER] USB Audio Device (USB\VID_08BB&PID_2704&MI_00\b&2b13080f&0&0000) An audio stream is currently in use. [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller AWAYMODE: None. EXECUTION: None. PERFBOOST: None. ACTIVELOCKSCREEN: None.

I have tried just about everything (sensible or otherwise, just everything I've come across):

• powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "VB-Audio Cable A" SYSTEM (and all the other devices listed)
    • powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "VB-Audio Cable A (ROOT\MEDIA\001)" SYSTEM (and again, the same for the rest)
    • powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "*" SYSTEM
    • Changing Power Options -> USB settings -> USB selective suspend setting to "Enabled" and "Disabled"
    • Setting Power Options -> Multimedia settings -> When sharing media to "Allow the computer to sleep"
    • Disconnecting every non-essential device in the computer
    • Turning off all software
    • Running sfc - no issues detected
    • Probably other things that I've forgotten

powercfg -sleepstudy / -lastwake / whichever others show it is the audio streams preventing it from sleeping; it's like it's just ignoring the requestsoverride list. The machine goes to sleep fine if Voicemeeter isn't running and there are the -request list is empty.

I've found hundreds of posts all over the place saying it doesn't work - for various request types like processes, multiple device types, etc. - so does this actually ever work?

Thanks very, very much to anyone who can help at all!

submitted by /u/DetritusHoarder
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DetritusHoarder, May 16, 2020
  2. Saltgrass Win User

powercfg -requestsoverride errors

Did you run the command below to check your command. If the powercfg /requests shows the Realtek driver it use whatever it shows, as indicated by the listing after using the command.

powercfg /requestsoverride /?

Saltgrass, May 16, 2020
  3. Win 10 POWERCFG -requestsoverride does not work

Hi,

For step-by-step instructions on troubleshooting the issue, kindly refer to the post of Deepika Gowda on this

link

You can also refer to
    Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC
    article for more information.

Should you have questions of clarifications, let us know.

Thank you.

Jeraldine Ase, May 16, 2020
  4. Jussi P. Win User

Does powercfg -requestsoverride actually work?

powercfg /requestsoverride doesn't work on Windows 10

My Win10 1709 (16299.15) doesn't go to sleep even if I have added the following requestsoverrides:

PS C:\Windows\system32> powercfg /requestsoverride

[SERVICE]

[PROCESS]

[DRIVER]

USB\VID_10F5&PID_2129&MI_03\6&f5ef449&0&0003 SYSTEM

USB Audio Device SYSTEM

USB Audio Device (USB\VID_10F5&PID_2129&MI_03\6&f5ef449&0&0003) SYSTEM

Legacy Kernel Caller SYSTEM

PS C:\Windows\system32> powercfg /requests

DISPLAY:

None.

SYSTEM:

[DRIVER] USB Audio Device (USB\VID_10F5&PID_2129&MI_03\6&f5ef449&0&0003)

An audio stream is currently in use.

[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

AWAYMODE:

None.

EXECUTION:

None.

PERFBOOST:

None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:

None.

--

How to add valid powercfg /requestsoverride to handle these DRIVERs and allow computer to sleep?

This is FRESHLY installed Windows 10, and I've run sfc /scannow, powercfg /restoredefaultschemes, Power Troubleshooter, ensured latest drivers on everything, etc. without any effect or help.

Jussi P., May 16, 2020
Thema:

Does powercfg -requestsoverride actually work?

1. Does powercfg -requestsoverride actually work? - Similar Threads - Does powercfg requestsoverride

2. powercfg /energy not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    powercfg /energy not working: Surface pro 8, fresh win11. Powercfg energyreport doesn't work, just returns immediately without doing anything:powercfg /batteryreport works fine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/powercfg-energy-not-working/633a90ed-1356-4d49-8a15-ca2aa8ef46b6
  3. powercfg /energy not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    powercfg /energy not working: Surface pro 8, fresh win11. Powercfg energyreport doesn't work, just returns immediately without doing anything:powercfg /batteryreport works fine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/powercfg-energy-not-working/633a90ed-1356-4d49-8a15-ca2aa8ef46b6
  4. Powercfg /requestsoverride doesn't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Powercfg /requestsoverride doesn't work: I added a problematic device with the powercfg /requestsoverride driver devicename system command. And I can see it listed when typing just powercfg /requestsoverride. However, when I type powercfg /requests, it's still there and it's preventing the PC from going to sleep...
  5. does anyone actually work in customer service?

in Windows 10 Customization
    does anyone actually work in customer service?: over 2 hours waiting on an agent to talk to and all i got was teh blue dots going across the screen. no est wait time, no position in queue just .... .... .... this is not acceptable. so i tried again this time with billing as i figured its money based so they will jump...
  6. powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE DRIVER "High Definition Audio Device" SYST

in Windows 10 Support
    powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE DRIVER "High Definition Audio Device" SYST: On another PC, my powercfg /requests brings this driver up because I run 'Voice Meeter' program and use a virtual audio cable. So i ran the command to override the driver. Question is, what powercfg syntax will display overrides of drivers? And let's say you want to un...
  7. powercfg -requestsoverride EVERYTHING

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    powercfg -requestsoverride EVERYTHING: Posted this to r\techsupport but nothing came of it Sometimes I'll get up in the morning and find my PC has been on all night because there is a random tab open in firefox that has a muted video ad or something similar.. I also have kids around that may leave a game open or...
  8. VPN does it actually work ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VPN does it actually work ?: I use Bitdefender security and it includes free VPN so I though I would give it a go and then check out the results. After seeing adverts on tv as well as other places claiming to 'Hide yourself be private' etc I cleared out Edge and Bing browsing/history databases. With...
  9. VPN does it actually work ?

in Windows 10 Support
    VPN does it actually work ?: I use Bitdefender security and it includes free VPN so I though I would give it a go and then check out the results. After seeing adverts on tv as well as other places claiming to 'Hide yourself be private' etc I cleared out Edge and Bing browsing/history databases. With...
  10. powercfg -requestsoverride errors

in Windows 10 Customization
    powercfg -requestsoverride errors: A Realtek driver is preventing my PC from going to sleep. I am executing powercfg -requestsoverride on this driver: Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0662&SUBSYS_10280622&REV_1003\4&233ad700&0&0201) I get this error: The ampersand (&)...