Windows 10: Does reinstalling Windows void licence? Can reactivate?

Discus and support Does reinstalling Windows void licence? Can reactivate? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've my laptop with Windows pre-installed. Now it's not booting. It has some bootloader issues. So, I'm thinking about downloading Windows 10 iso again... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bensha888, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Bensha888 Win User

Does reinstalling Windows void licence? Can reactivate?

I've my laptop with Windows pre-installed. Now it's not booting. It has some bootloader issues. So, I'm thinking about downloading Windows 10 iso again and install it. This is my question, if I reinstall, do I need to activate my newly installed Windows with a product key? When I opened my Microsoft account, I can see my device is linked with my Microsoft account. So I don't need to enter my product key right?

:)

Bensha888, Dec 22, 2019
  2. Boyfriend Win User

Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

He is using AMD already. He wants downgrading to AM3. Don't know why??

If you change HDD + RAM simultaneously, Windows 7 needs to be reactivated. Only HDD cloning shouldn't require reactivation. As you are changing mobo + HDD (prehaps RAM upgrade too), you will surely require reactivation. If you have genuine license, you should reinstall OS (you might use Windows Easy Transfer). If you don't want to reinstall, you need to uninstall HDD, interfaces/system devices, and numerous other drivers (USB, HID, Portable devices, etc.), else your OS will be unstable.
    I will highly recommend to reinstall Windows 7 and enjoy your migration.

A simple trick might be like this to avoid reactivation:
    1. Clone your HDD first and boot into Windows
    2. Use it for at least one week
    3. Replace mobo only without any other hardware change/upgrade and boot
    4. Use it for at least one week
    5. Do any other upgrade (RAM, Graphic card etc.)

Don't do two simultaneous downgrades/upgrades to avoid reactivation.

Boyfriend, Dec 22, 2019
  3. kg4icg Win User
    Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

Then why does it say fs/ft i7-920 in his tag and he wants to downgrade to am3 system? to go from a am2/2+ to am3 isn't a downgrade last time I checked

kg4icg, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Andrew Li Win User

How to reinstall and reactivate Windows 10 with an OEM license

Before you continue, I suggest you remove the bloatware by the Control Panel and uninstalling the junk. That is faster and easier, with less potential for problems, but the steps for reinstallation are as follows:

Before you do anything, backup valuable data, if any, on some form of media (i.e. USB) so you can move it onto the reinstalled Windows.

1. Download the appropriate ISO file from Microsoft and burn it to a CD or use it with a bootable USB.
    2. (Optional if you have no internet) Download all the appropriate drivers for your machine and save them on media for later access.
    3. Locate the product key on your machine. It is usually under the laptop on a sticker, and if not, use special software to locate it. This will be used during the reinstallation. Note that PCs sometimes auto-activate if it is in the BIOS so this step is not needed if this is case.
    4. Boot from the bootable media (disc or USB). Continue as usual through the installation, and when the partitions screen comes up, format the current Windows partition and install in there. (The Recovery partition can be deleted, but I recommend keeping it so if anything goes wrong you can restore to factory settings). If the key doesn't work you may need to contact Microsoft and activate over phone.
    5. After installation, install the drivers and run Windows Update and you're done.

Andrew Li, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Does reinstalling Windows void licence? Can reactivate? - Similar Threads - Does reinstalling void

2. Reactivation of Windows with a digital licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivation of Windows with a digital licence: I have my work laptop with Windows 10, and I want to reinstall Windows. I see that I have digital license.When I followed Learn more link Activate Windows microsoft.com I find this:Activate using a digital licenseDigital licenses are associated with your hardware and linked...
  3. Reactivation of Windows with a digital licence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivation of Windows with a digital licence: I have my work laptop with Windows 10, and I want to reinstall Windows. I see that I have digital license.When I followed Learn more link Activate Windows microsoft.com I find this:Activate using a digital licenseDigital licenses are associated with your hardware and linked...
  4. Reactivation of Windows with a digital licence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reactivate windows licence on VM

Reactivate windows licence on VM: Hello, I had installed win10 on VM, the host machine crashed and I had to install win10 from zero. I didn't have Microsoft account at that time so i cant disassociate it from previous machine. Is there any way I can get that license to work on my new VM or is it...
  6. Licence Key Reactivation

Licence Key Reactivation: I purchased a Windows 10 Pro retail licence key years ago which was said to be transferable. I've just bought a brand new computer, but I am using the same drives as I used to so I had to format them and completely reinstall Windows, wiping the originally activated Windows...
  7. Digital licence reactivation

Digital licence reactivation: I have a computer running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview activated with a Digital licence linked to my Microsoft account and I was wondering if I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro by erasing my HDD, will it activate automatically?...
  8. Windows 10 Licence Reactivation

Windows 10 Licence Reactivation: Hello, This is Shamim from Bangladesh. I am using Asus Zenbook 14, Model UX433fn. After reinstalling windows 10, I have lost my licence. Could someone help me to solve this issue. My PC's serial number is JBN0CV12890547C. Waiting to here form anyone soon. Thanks,...
  9. Windows 10 licence reactivation

Windows 10 licence reactivation: Hi, I recently upgraded hardware in my PC. I checked the Microsoft website for details on reactivating windows after this update and followed the instructions with regards to linking my digital licence to my Microsoft account. When I finished my upgrade and tried to...
  10. reactivating digital licence

reactivating digital licence: mother board died in my laptop replaced it with a new one now it wont reactivate. Keeps saying your windows is not activated. Can anyone assist? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reactivating-digital-licence/a987bcb4-c596-4aad-bb34-9b056fe111bc"