Windows 10: Does renaming these folders prompt UAC?

Discus and support Does renaming these folders prompt UAC? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was fumbling around inside a third party file explorer, and accidentally prompted the rename of the Users folder. I managed to avoid renaming it, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Double, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Double Win User

Does renaming these folders prompt UAC?

I was fumbling around inside a third party file explorer, and accidentally prompted the rename of the Users folder. I managed to avoid renaming it, but what would have happened if I had?

Assuming you are running as administrator, does renaming the following folders prompt the User Account Control? Also, what would happen if you added for instance a '2' at the end of 'Windows' or 'Program Files', but renamed them back to their original name before sleeping or shutting down?

• ESD
    • IExp0.tmp
    • IExp1.tmp
    • PerfLogs
    • Program Files
    • Program Files (x86)
    • SwSetup
    • Users
    • Windows

:)

Double, Sep 20, 2015

2. Transfer folder

Thanks for the prompt answer, but that does not work in edge, when you right click the only option is remove, create new folder, rename and open in new tab using (windows 10)

DennisWiggins, Sep 20, 2015
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 20, 2015
Thema:

Does renaming these folders prompt UAC?

1. Does renaming these folders prompt UAC? - Similar Threads - Does renaming folders

2. "rename" command in Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "rename" command in Command Prompt: Never thought I'd have another DOS question, but ... never say never, I guess. So I have a folder with sub-folders named with the dates of all the weekdays in April, in the format 2019-04-xx_. I want to change the names to May, i.e. replace "04" with "05". I opened a...
  3. renaming folders

renaming folders: I cannot rename folders with the usual right click method. When I right click and try to rename, I get 2 messages: 1) "Can't find the specified file." Then when I x out of that message, I get: 2) "The file or folder does not exist." I can rename the folder by going to the...
  4. Issue renaming User Folder Using Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue renaming User Folder Using Command Prompt: Hello, I recently had to get my computer fitted with a new hard drive after the old one crashed. I had a new one installed and got most of my files back, however one small difference was that my User folder in C:\Users was simply "User", as opposed to my first name as I had...
  5. Rename file folder

Rename file folder: When I am trying to rename a number of files. I can do one and then for the next ones the program says the file is in use and cannot be changed. It is not in use anywhere. In order to rename, I have to close right out of File Explorer and then go back in and rename one file...
  6. Rename folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename folder: Hi It's not possible Rename. When you change the name, all five folders change to the same. Best regards, Peter[ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/rename-folder/5ae40fa8-392b-4a94-ace7-fc1d5aa6c2ab
  7. UAC prompt question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC prompt question: Found it - The dimming of your desktop is referred to as the secure desktop because other programs can't run while it's dimmed. User Account Control - MDSN Denis
  8. Long Delay for UAC Prompt to Appear?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Long Delay for UAC Prompt to Appear?: Since the last update to 1607 Build 14393.576 on two PCs, it now takes about 30s for the UAC prompt or cmd.exe window to first appear on both PCs. Subsequent UAC prompts appear after a normal delay. Both PCs have Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) 2017. I discovered turning...
  9. how to disable the UAC prompt when renaming a file?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to disable the UAC prompt when renaming a file?: How do I turn it off? I am the admin of my pc and do-not-want this damn prompt every time I change a file's name. 51697
  10. Folder rename prompt closes automatically.

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder rename prompt closes automatically.: Hi all, I'm using a custom built desktop with Windows 10 Pro. I'm having issues when I rename a folder. It closes the rename prompt on its own in about 2-3 seconds after I've clicked rename. How do I fix this? Also this may not be related but a folder with a lot of images...