Windows 10: Does "Reset this PC" wipe second HDD or just C:

Discus and support Does "Reset this PC" wipe second HDD or just C: in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi guys, Just a quick questions as I can't find a clear answer when searching on the forum or google. I have a PC with a second HDD. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by MarkJR84, Apr 2, 2017.

1. MarkJR84 Win User

Does "Reset this PC" wipe second HDD or just C:

Hi guys,

Just a quick questions as I can't find a clear answer when searching on the forum or google.

I have a PC with a second HDD.

I'm wanting to reset it using the "Reset this PC" option in settings as I'm having a few issues with the PC, but I was wondering if there will be an option to leave the second HDD as it is without wiping it?

Would be great is someone could give me some advice.

Thanks

Mark

:)

MarkJR84, Apr 2, 2017

2. " Nokia Simple " theme - where it this theme?

hi,

Some days ago on page
    http://ea.mobile.nokia.com/content/spin/ea/6120c/en/theme/index.xhtml
    or in phone (nokia 6120c) themes/general/download themes/ was very cool theme (light cream white, black fonts) " Nokia Simple ", now its dissapear from this site. Where i can get it?
    or maybe somebody has it and could send to me.

thx

szympek123, Apr 2, 2017
  3. okinawa---01, Apr 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Please see Option 2, follow down to no. 6.

Also see #12 on page 2 - only affects the Windows partition.

Note that you will have to reinstall all programs, reconfigure settings.

I wonder if you've considered an in-place upgrade repair install, which keeps all programs and most settings, but gives you a fresh set of Windows system files and key registry settings?
    (Tutorial in the Tutorial section - basically, boot normally, and start reinstalling Windows when logged in).

Further, if your problem is actually related to a user profile, you can determine that by creating a new user for test purposes. If you don't have the same problem then, Windows per se is probably ok. An in-place upgrade repair install won't solve a corrupt user profile.

And have you checked if your problem exists in Safe Mode? If not, it may be a problem with an installed program.

Remember to run chkdsk too to make sure your file system is ok.
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.

Check the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

dalchina, Apr 2, 2017
  5. MarkJR84 Win User
    Thanks very much for your advice! I'm all back up and running. M

MarkJR84, Apr 2, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good- so if all is well, if you haven't yet started to, start to use disk imaging routinely:

Here's my write-up on the value of disk imaging.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your disks and partitions to a previous working state, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

(There's a tutorial on Macrium in the Tutorials section, and a couple of videos in the user videos section on this forum)
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect - Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Does "Reset this PC" wipe second HDD or just C: - Similar Threads - Does Reset wipe

2. I have just purchased a second laptop, but it is not a replacement - just a second PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have just purchased a second laptop, but it is not a replacement - just a second PC.: During Windows install program, how do I keep it separate and not restore from my other PCs backup? So far, there does not seem to be anyway to do this during the MS install process. Do I have to have separate MS Accounts? During Windows install program, how do I keep it...
  3. I have just purchased a second laptop, but it is not a replacement - just a second PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have just purchased a second laptop, but it is not a replacement - just a second PC.: During Windows install program, how do I keep it separate and not restore from my other PCs backup? So far, there does not seem to be anyway to do this during the MS install process. Do I have to have separate MS Accounts? During Windows install program, how do I keep it...
  4. Does the windows "reset this pc" actually wipe the whole hard drive, or is some of the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does the windows "reset this pc" actually wipe the whole hard drive, or is some of the...: ive seen mixed answers on google, some people say it's still on the hard drive and others say it wipes completely and changes everything to 0s submitted by /u/trobot2 [link] [comments]...
  5. Does resetting the PC also wipe the files from all accounts?

Does resetting the PC also wipe the files from all accounts?: Help me. I have another account in the PC for all other stuff. And I don't want to lose the files in there, I just need to reset my main account I use. If it does, is there a way to reset the account only? submitted by /u/TheNitrogen [link] [comments]...
  6. Backup games for hdd wipe

Backup games for hdd wipe: Im gonna get an ssd to upgrade my pc and keep my hdd as storage and wipe the windows install off of it and do a fresh install on ssd, is there a way to back up my games (gta/fortnite/csgo/valorant/pubg)to keep them on my hdd so i dont hsve to reinstall them when reinstalling...
  7. Second HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Second HDD: Hello, i have some problems with my additional HDD, it has power and its starts up but i cant see it in my computer. i also entered bios and i cant find a way to “turn on” the second HDD....
  8. How long does reset/wipe take?

How long does reset/wipe take?: I will have to power off my PC soon... It's been 3 hours and i can't see any progress bar. If I power off my PC what happens? submitted by /u/anotherthrowaway2ns3 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ey0gsq/how_long_does_resetwipe_take/
  9. Does "Reset this PC" truly wipe everything?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does "Reset this PC" truly wipe everything?: So the company i work for recently purchased new laptops (Lenovo Thinkpad-p52s) and only one of them is having some sort of code/software compatibility issue with windows 10 and MS Access 2007 (i know its old) which causes forms in access to open and function incorrectly. I...
  10. Clean Anniversary Install on C: Killed Second HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Anniversary Install on C: Killed Second HDD: This was really crazy. I have a hdd where I keep all my keep many things. So after the clean install, I go to my D: drive and it was wiped clean and wants to be formatted as UDF 201 First time I heard anything about this file system. Comments ? 62632

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reset pc all drives option separate hdd