Windows 10: Does school have authority over personal laptop because of Office?

Discus and support Does school have authority over personal laptop because of Office? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a personal Microsoft account and a school account, the school account has full access to office 365, and my teachers have said that we are... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gcrowe404, Oct 3, 2018.

1. gcrowe404 Win User

Does school have authority over personal laptop because of Office?

I have a personal Microsoft account and a school account, the school account has full access to office 365, and my teachers have said that we are allowed to download office apps at home and use our school accounts to gain full access, however, after downloading office and logging in with my school account, when I go to Windows Update, it says at the top "*Some settings are managed by your organisation.". When I click on "View configured update policies" it then shows two policies about "Active hours" "Source: Administrator". I own this laptop personally and therefore my school should have no authority or management of it. Can the school manage my laptop or know what I am doing/ see what I have stored on my laptop in any way?

:)

gcrowe404, Oct 3, 2018

2. Personal Laptops and school domains

I have a personal laptop they i use solely for school and I'd like to print right from it. It's a bit more complicated as my school uses papercut to manage its printers. I don't know if a workgroup will work because i can't seem to get the paper cut client
    on my computer so joining the school domain might be the only other way. If there is another way then I'd appreciate the input. If not then I was wondering exactly what control the domain will have over my computer.

My main concerns are whether the domain will be able to restrict me from accessing my local admin accounts to leave the domain whenever I want to. Also if they can't then can they moniter what I do on my local accounts? And finally, do they have the power
    to wipe my computer.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

IronCreeper, Oct 3, 2018
  3. Connect to work or school

My school provides an Office 365 subscription and I use my account on Office apps instead of my personal Microsoft account. If I add this school account to my personal Windows 10 Mobile device (Settings>Accounts>Access work or school), does it mean that
    my school's device management rules will apply instead of my personal settings? My device is not owned by the school and I don't know what are the settings they are using on devices.

Omer Faruk Bingol, Oct 3, 2018
  4. Wynona Win User

The new Office 2016 is here Office

Well, this one's a high school, so that may be the difference. She's been teaching for over 30 years so I'll ask her when she gets home; they can't use their cell phones at school. What's good for the student is good for the teacher. Does school have authority over personal laptop because of Office? :)

When I looked at office.microsoft.com, only the perpetual version of Office 2016 was listed as being "Home and Student". Office 365 was listed merely as Home or Personal.

Wynona, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Does school have authority over personal laptop because of Office? - Similar Threads - Does school authority

2. My school account has taken over my personal laptop and its files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My school account has taken over my personal laptop and its files.: My school account has taken over my personal laptop and i can't sign in to my files. It keeps taking me back to my school account login page and i can't log into that either because my school account has been locked....
  3. My school account has taken over my personal laptop and its files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My school account has taken over my personal laptop and its files.: My school account has taken over my personal laptop and i can't sign in to my files. It keeps taking me back to my school account login page and i can't log into that either because my school account has been locked....
  4. My school account has taken over my personal laptop and its files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Personalizing Office

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Personalizing Office: Hi,If I go to file and then options I’m office products I can change the name associated. Does that affect anything int ye Microsoft online account or the file destination name? What does it actually do?Thanks!...
  6. Personalizing Office

Personalizing Office: Hi,If I go to file and then options I’m office products I can change the name associated. Does that affect anything int ye Microsoft online account or the file destination name? What does it actually do?Thanks!...
  7. Turn work or office laptop into personal laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn work or office laptop into personal laptop: I worked for a startup and they provided me with a laptop. However, they changed their business and moved to other country and they asked me to keep the laptop myself. I do not have the company email address to login and there are no IT guys of the company etc as they...
  8. Turn work or office laptop into personal laptop

Turn work or office laptop into personal laptop: I worked for a startup and they provided me with a laptop. However, they changed their business and moved to other country and they asked me to keep the laptop myself. I do not have the company email address to login and there are no IT guys of the company etc as they...
  9. Turn work or office laptop into personal laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Remove Organization Control over Personal Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove Organization Control over Personal Laptop: I was using Outlook to load my school emails and it asked me if I wanted to let the school's server configure my settings. I said yes at the time partially because I wasn't aware of the full implications but now I am no longer at the school and need to recover control of my...