Windows 10: Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?

Discus and support Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Apparently, VSC interferes with my Acronis backups. I would like to stop the service to run the backups, and restart afterward. I don't want to disable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Donna Sander, Jul 11, 2019 at 4:17 PM.

1. Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?

Apparently, VSC interferes with my Acronis backups. I would like to stop the service to run the backups, and restart afterward. I don't want to disable it, because I'm aware that will delete my restore points, which I definitly don't want to do. Can I just stop the service for the duration of the backup? Will I lose system restore points if I do that? The service would automatically restart when the machine is rebooted, correct?

:)

Donna Sander, Jul 11, 2019 at 4:17 PM

2. Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered.

Hi,

Thank you for getting back with a reply.

I suggest you to start the Volume shadow copy service and check. Follow these steps:

a. Click Start and type services.msc in the search box.

b. Search for the Volume shadow copy service and make sure the start- up type is automatic.

i. Right click on the service

ii. If the service is stopped, then Start the service

iii. Select Properties

iv. And in the Start-up type select Automatic.

c. Click Ok.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jul 11, 2019 at 4:26 PM
  3. El_Mayo Win User
    Volume Shadow Copy Error?

when i try to make a system restore my computer says:

"The volume shadow copy service used by system restore is not working"
    and error number 0x81000202

how do i fix this?

4. Thelps Win User

Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?

A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error

Tried to create a Restore Point today and received the following error:

"The Restore Point Could Not be Created for the following reason:

A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information. (0x80042302).

Volume Shadow Copy
    and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider services are set to "Automatic" and are both running.

Are there any other services that the System Restore is dependent upon?

Can link EventLogs for further information if needed.

Thema:

Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?

1. Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points? - Similar Threads - Does stopping Volume

2. Shadow Copy Error 0x80042306 and Not Able to Create Restore Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shadow Copy Error 0x80042306 and Not Able to Create Restore Point: I installed the new Win 10 Update [took all afternoon and right up t0 2130 at night]. It went O.K.; I had only to retrieve icons for some folders, but I found I could not create a Restore Point for the above reason. I looked at the Event Log (!), I searched for answers...
  3. Deleting files does not free space after "Volume Shadow Copy" MS malware removed.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Deleting files does not free space after "Volume Shadow Copy" MS malware removed.: Is Windows actually counting free space, or just guessing? How can I delete 2.5GB from the recycle bin and have only 20MB free space afterwards? Why does deleting files not free space, I have already disabled the malware "System Volume Shadow Copy" which does nothing but eat...
  4. System restore deleted all restore points.

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore deleted all restore points.: Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update, im not even sure what kind of. Since the update i started experiencing visual bugs in video games. Of course i thought its in-game problem, but it wasn't. I checked the system restore, and I tried to restore my laptop to one day...
  5. A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error: Tried to create a Restore Point today and received the following error: "The Restore Point Could Not be Created for the following reason: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information....
  6. how does system restore and shadow copy work on 10?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how does system restore and shadow copy work on 10?: Well, i have been using 10 for about 1 week now but why still no shadow copies? And i cannot find system restore. Where isit now? By the way isit safe to delete all files in softwaredistribution now like in previous window? 56045
  7. A volume shadow copy service operation failed. VSS &SPP (0x87800A1)

A volume shadow copy service operation failed. VSS &SPP (0x87800A1): Hello awesome people of this forum! I need help. I have experienced a (fatal) error in attempting to backup my Windows box via System Image. I cannot seem to figure out the problem, and I was hoping someone may know more in trying to fix this and I would like to learn....
  8. Restore and Shadow Copy

Restore and Shadow Copy: What is the difference between System Restore and Shadow Copy? I am familiar with the first, but only came across references to the second recently. 56132
  9. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: I've a list of errors in Event Viewer than I'm trying to deal with one-by-one. This one is Event 8194, VSS Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.. This is often caused by...
  10. Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation

in Windows 10 Support
    Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation: I just discovered that none of my computers have the Volume Shadow Copy service running and none have the startup set to automatic. I have always assumed that this service should start at boot time. I have started the service on all the computers and set the startup to...