Windows 10: Does 'svchost.exe' being in the 'SysWOW64' folder, constitute a Virus?

Discus and support Does 'svchost.exe' being in the 'SysWOW64' folder, constitute a Virus? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have read at multiple places that the file 'svchost.exe' should only be in the 'System32' folder. I searched my PC and this file is also present in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by manubhatt3, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Does 'svchost.exe' being in the 'SysWOW64' folder, constitute a Virus?

I have read at multiple places that the file 'svchost.exe' should only be in the 'System32' folder. I searched my PC and this file is also present in the 'SysWOW64' folder. Does this mean that there is a virus/malware?
    Note:- I have also read at wikipedia that this file has one of its image located in SysWOW64 folder. So, I am a little confused.

:)

manubhatt3, Dec 26, 2016

2. Does 'svchost.exe' being in the 'SysWOW64' folder, constitute a Virus/Malware?

I have read at multiple places that the file 'svchost.exe' should only be in the 'System32' folder. I searched my PC and this file is also present in the 'SysWOW64' folder. Does this mean that there is a virus/malware?

Note:- I have also read at wikipedia that this file has one of its image located in SysWOW64 folder. So, I am a little confused.

abhaybhatt, Dec 26, 2016
  3. Does 'svchost.exe' being in the 'SysWOW64' folder, constitute a Virus/Malware?

Download Process Explorer (freeware from Microsoft) and further information:

Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals

Open Process Explorer and click View on the menu bar. From the drop down menu click Select Columns and then the Process Image tab. Check the boxes before Description, Image Path, Image Type, and Command Line. I suggest you also click on two other
    options on the View dropdown menu, namely Show Processes from All Users and
    Show Fractional CPU.

Place the cursor on the svchost process showing the high CPU activity, right click and select
    Properties. Click the Services tab and you will see a list of services that use the process. The image below shows the services for command line C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService. The
    command line is displayed as a column in the main Process Explorer window if it has been selected as a View option but if you click the Image tab for the selected process it is also detailed there.

You can Stop and Restart any service from that window by placing the cursor on the service and clicking the appropriate button. You can see what impact it has on CPU usage. Before stopping any service read the
    summary describing the service so that you have a better understanding of the implications of stopping the service.

Gerry C J Cornell, Dec 26, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Does 'svchost.exe' being in the 'SysWOW64' folder, constitute a Virus?

In a 32 bit OS there should only be one copy of svchost.exe and that in windows\system32. But in a 64 bit OS there will also be one in windows\syswow64. They are not the same file. This is a critical system file.

LMiller7, Dec 26, 2016
Thema:

Does 'svchost.exe' being in the 'SysWOW64' folder, constitute a Virus?

1. Does 'svchost.exe' being in the 'SysWOW64' folder, constitute a Virus? - Similar Threads - Does 'svchost exe'

2. msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder detected as virus, but removing it causes installation...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder detected as virus, but removing it causes installation...: Windows Defender has detected the msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder as a virus. I followed the procedure to remove it from the computer, but because it's gone, the computer cannot complete installation process anymore. I submitted it to Microsoft Security Intelligence, thinking...
  3. msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder detected as virus, but removing it causes installation...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder detected as virus, but removing it causes installation...: Windows Defender has detected the msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder as a virus. I followed the procedure to remove it from the computer, but because it's gone, the computer cannot complete installation process anymore. I submitted it to Microsoft Security Intelligence, thinking...
  4. Select C:\winddows\SysWow64\cmd. exe

in Windows 10 Support
    Select C:\winddows\SysWow64\cmd. exe: when trying to open "Uninstall or change a program", " System properties" from This PC or trying from right click on desktop to open Personalization or Display setting, a cmd open and close right after and nothing happens, but if click on that cmd right before it close, it...
  5. SysWOW64 a virus?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SysWOW64 a virus?: Recently, my pc was misbehaving a lot. Taking lot of time booting and starting apps. Freezing time to time etc. So I reset my PC completely. Now, I'm reinstalling all my apps. My anti virus app while scanning the PC gave a lot of warnings regarding files in SysWOW64 folder. I...
  6. Svchost in syswow64, windows 32

Svchost in syswow64, windows 32: I know it is supposed to be in windows 32 but is it suppose to be syswow64? Because I've read that it shouldn't be. So i did a factory reset and it is still there scand with bitdefender and Malwarebytes no virus found. Any information will be helpful. And why won't Microsoft...
  7. Svchost virus?

Svchost virus?: Hi i just discovered the svchost trojan and have a few questions is it a rootkit virus and will completely wiping my hard drive destroy it....
  8. Windows 10 svchost virus

Windows 10 svchost virus: Hi. I have recently started having CPU problems. Apparently, it's because of a trojan virus called svchost.exe. Anytime I use an internet browser (any) I get a message from my web protection that it's blocking the virus but my CPU still gets overloaded. I've tried every...
  9. Umonit64.exe in my SysWOW64?

in Windows 10 Support
    Umonit64.exe in my SysWOW64?: Suddenly it was there, sitting in my startup, Umonit64.exe. already shutter down and hidden because you never know... So what the heck is it, after checking it appeared as a USB driver. I recently updated my driver stuff with an updater on the 8th of Nov. And the file was...
  10. syswow64 folder

in Windows 10 Support
    syswow64 folder: Hi , My syswow64 folder keeps opening on its own can any one please help. Windows 10 64bit 25813
Tags: