Windows 10: Does the defender real time scan extend to attached drives?

Discus and support Does the defender real time scan extend to attached drives? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I would like to know whether Windows Defender's real time scan extends to usb attached storage devices like flash drives, HDDs and SSDs? If i... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mr. Keskar, May 18, 2020.

1. Does the defender real time scan extend to attached drives?

I would like to know whether Windows Defender's real time scan extends to usb attached storage devices like flash drives, HDDs and SSDs?

If i transferred an infected file from a laptop HDD to USB drive and ii from USB drive to laptop HDD would Defender catch these infections assuming it can identify the malware signature?

:)

Mr. Keskar, May 18, 2020
  2. Gaia Win User

Windows Defender: Disable real time; keep scheduled and on demand scanning

I just upgraded to Win 10 (RTM build). I have disabled the built in AV's (Defender) real time protection because I do not run it, never did and have never gotten a virus (and I've had a computer for 30 years).

I was able to disable real time scans by turning on the Group Policy's Disable Defender Policy. But this disables the application entirely. Is it possible to use this profile (which I used with Win 7's Security Essentials) with Win10 Defender:

• Real time scan off
    • Scheduled scans (2AM) active
    • On demand (shell integration right
      click) scans active

?

Or do I have to install a 3rd party scanner? I already run MBAM Premium, MBAE and EMET (those are protecting in real time, as their impact on performance is minimum), but I would really like to avoid a 3rd party AV.

TIA

3. David Haz Win User
    Defender will only do periodic scanning, no real time protection

Hello,

This issue may happen if other security software, such as antivirus, anti-spyware, or anti-malware programs, are fully or partially installed on the computer. Windows Defender automatically turns off if you install another antivirus app.

Let us uncheck security messages for Virus Protection and Spyware, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press the Windows key + X, then select Control Panel.
    • Click on Security and Maintenance.
    • Click the Change Security and Maintenance Settings.
    • Uncheck Spyware and unwanted software protection and Virus Protection.
    • Click OK.
    • Restart the device for the changes to take effect.
    After the device restarted, make a full system scan using Windows defender.

To turn on real-time protection, do the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings.
    • Click on Update & Security > Windows Defender.
    • Turn on Real-time protection.

Update us on the results.

Regards.

David Haz, May 18, 2020
  4. Brian Cab Win User

Does the defender real time scan extend to attached drives?

Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, May 18, 2020
Thema:

Does the defender real time scan extend to attached drives?

1. Does the defender real time scan extend to attached drives? - Similar Threads - Does defender real

2. Windows Defender real time protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender real time protection: Hello everyone,I have a problem with windows defender, I can't enable real time protection, there is message says "You are using another Antivirus provider, but I don't have and I didn't have before I don't want to use third party Antivirus I have windows 11 , I have...
  3. Defender Offline Scan does not scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Offline Scan does not scan: I am currently running a Win10 21H2 with all latest and greatest updates.Admittedly a German version, so I may not get the titles for all menues and options 100% rightEarlier this week, Defender reported a .VBS script it had put into quarantine. Upon initial inspection, this...
  4. Microsoft Defender still real-time scanning files on network drives even though the drives...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Defender still real-time scanning files on network drives even though the drives...: So I have some network drives mapped on my computer and a program that periodically scans them for any file changes. Every time it does this the network activity slows to a crawl because "Microsoft Defender Antivirus Service" starts using 800Mbps of traffic. I have all of the...
  5. Windows Real Time defender

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Real Time defender: Hey guys, I’ve got a question l. What does Windows Real Time Defender do, because I don’t really get it? And what are the consequences if I turn it off ( I do have virus protection apps like malwarebytes)? Thank you 4 your time! submitted by /u/MahmoodAsghar [link]...
  6. Real Time file Scanning

in Windows 10 Customization
    Real Time file Scanning: Hey guys, how do you turn off real time file scanning? Im trying to download CCS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/real-time-file-scanning/c204fde1-1410-4626-8f5b-c8d6c5d34eb2
  7. Big slowdown with Windows Defender real-time file scanning

Big slowdown with Windows Defender real-time file scanning: I'm a self-employed software developer in the US, using Windows 10 64-bit. I keep the OS updated with the latest patches. I have hundreds of thousands of small files on my PC, and last week suddenly noticed a huge performance hit, for example when archiving the files using...
  8. Windows Defender: does it scan email attachments

Windows Defender: does it scan email attachments: Hi, I'm a newbie to tenforums, but old with Windows since the 90's. Hope you can give me a definitive answer to this question. I cannot find any evidence that WD has any interaction with email. In particular, you can no longer right-click on an email attachment to select...
  9. Defender: Real Time Protection:

Defender: Real Time Protection:: I just installed the latest Build of Windows 10 . I get this notification in yellow text This setting is managed by your Administrator above the real time protection on Off button and it has been turned on but greyed out. I am not able to disable it. Have scanned it with...
  10. Windows Defender real time scanning problem with USB flash drives?

Windows Defender real time scanning problem with USB flash drives?: Has anybody else had any issues when using USB flash drives with antivirus real time scanning? Today I was putting my flash drive back to factory settings using Diskpart. Everything went as expected until after I completed the full format to FAT32. The last line in Diskpart I...