Windows 10: Does the diskpart "assign letter" command carry over with the drive when it plugs into...

Discus and support Does the diskpart "assign letter" command carry over with the drive when it plugs into... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a series of drives plugged into my computer and I like them to mount as the same letters every time I reinstall my OS (for shortcut routing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Andrewx3n, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Andrewx3n Win User

Does the diskpart "assign letter" command carry over with the drive when it plugs into...

I have a series of drives plugged into my computer and I like them to mount as the same letters every time I reinstall my OS (for shortcut routing reasons and whatnot). I'd prefer not to set them in diskmgmt.msc every time.

Do the assigned letters carry over to other systems and fresh OS installs when you assign them via diskpart?

For example, if I "assign" the letter M:\ to one of my storage HDDs and then reinstall Windows 10 at some point in the future, will that HDD show up as M:\ on the new installation, or will it be back to the defaults?

:)

Andrewx3n, Oct 29, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 29, 2018
  3. USB flash drive --assign drive letter back to dynamic from static

I'll try that method with Diskpart then Bree. Im not that familiar with Diskpart. I'm a bit confused by select partition 1 above. Is a partition the same as a volume?..bearing in mind that I will have set up a new simple volume on the USB flash drive. Is there a way of telling if its worked or not afterwards by looking in Disk Management. If Ive assigned the USB flash drive as drive f: when I set up the simple volume...after using the Assign command in Diskpart...will it revert back to a dynamically assigned letter instead of the static f: drive letter and show up in disk management as drive e: as my flash drives always have in the past?

sportsfan148, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Does the diskpart "assign letter" command carry over with the drive when it plugs into...

Windows 10 upgrade complete, but other internal drive letters missing--cannot access

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to assign a drive letter by using Diskpart by following the steps below:

• Click Start > type
      diskpart.
    • Right-click diskpart in results above > click
      Run as administrator. Click OK for the prompt.
    • Once diskpart loads type list volume, press
      Enter.
    You will notice that you will see your partition that you use for your data, it should not show a drive letter assigned to it.

4. Type select volume X (replace X with the volume number assigned to the partition in question).

5. Type assign letter Z (replace Z with the letter that you want to assign to it).

After the action is complete, try accessing the drives.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

Does the diskpart "assign letter" command carry over with the drive when it plugs into...

1. Does the diskpart "assign letter" command carry over with the drive when it plugs into... - Similar Threads - Does diskpart assign

2. Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart: [Localization from this article: Manuelles Zuweisen eines Laufwerksbuchstaben mit CMD bzw. Diskpart - Microsoft Community]Technical Difficulty: ExpertApplies to: Windows 10 & 11In some cases, Windows will not assign a drive letter automatically to an inserted drive. For...
  3. Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart: [Localization from this article: Manuelles Zuweisen eines Laufwerksbuchstaben mit CMD bzw. Diskpart - Microsoft Community]Technical Difficulty: ExpertApplies to: Windows 10 & 11In some cases, Windows will not assign a drive letter automatically to an inserted drive. For...
  4. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  5. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  6. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  7. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  8. Diskpart assign letter "survive" after reboot

Diskpart assign letter "survive" after reboot: Hello, I don't understand. I am in a Win PE, or in another kind of recovery tool with command line. I do: diskpart sel vol 1 assign letter=z now "Z" is assigned to a disk. I REBOOT the computer and operate with another recovery tool (i.e. Macrium). I go...
  9. Trouble Assigning Drive Letters

Trouble Assigning Drive Letters: Okay, I recently moved my complete MAME set to an external hd, which my computer designated "D." I also backed up my computer to a separate external hd, which my computer designated as "K." I want the backup hd to be "D" and the MAME hd to be something else. I selected...
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hanged volumes in diskpart dont stay