Windows 10: Does the hosts file support IPv6 addresses?

Discus and support Does the hosts file support IPv6 addresses? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am making a program that automatically adds and deletes lines to the Windows hosts file. So lets says you are working on example.com, and you have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Trent Tompkins, May 27, 2024.

1. Does the hosts file support IPv6 addresses?

I am making a program that automatically adds and deletes lines to the Windows hosts file. So lets says you are working on example.com, and you have apache setup with a virtual host that runs example.com, you can click my script, and it will add:127.0.0.1 example.com to the hosts file, the runs ipconfig /flushdns.And when you run it again, it deletes the sites. You can send command line flags to always enable or always disable, but the default behavior is to toggle them, so you can quickly go from seeing the local version to seeing the live version.It starts by reading in the existing hosts f

:)

Trent Tompkins, May 27, 2024
  2. harrymc Win User

Chrome not using hosts file for IPv6 addresses since v73

There is a know bug in Chrome which might be responsible for your problem:

Issue 530482: Can't reach private IPv6 hosts on networks without global IPv6 connectivity.

The discussion in the bug report clarifies that Chrome launches an IPv6 probe to
    determine if there is IPv6 support, by checking with a remote address.
    If that IPv6 probe fails, Chrome will mask out any other IPv6 results,
    in effect disabling IPv6 and ignoring it forever.

The explanation is then that if IPv6 support is sketchy on the network,
    so that this single initial IPv6 probe done by Chrome fails,
    Chrome will just disable IPv6 resolving totally, including local IPv6
    resolving from the hosts file.

A workaround mentioned is:

Other more limited workarounds are mentioned at the end of the bug report.

The bug report dates from 2015, but was still alive in May 2019,
    so it may perhaps be currently in process.

harrymc, May 27, 2024
  3. somebody Win User
    Chrome not using hosts file for IPv6 addresses since v73

Your hosts file should be consistent, eg; localhost is 127.0.01. Then some-project.test should also be available on 127.0.0.1, and since the IPv6 address ::1 typically, and traditionally also points to localhost, and the IPv4 address 127.0.0.1. As not all systems are necessarily IPv6 capable -- yes, even in this day, and age. Does the hosts file support IPv6 addresses? :)

The problem, like localhost is that test is a TLD (just like .com).

My suggested hosts file:

See what I'm talking about? Some applications (and OSs) assume a localhost "host". So you may find you require an entry for it -- see; optional in the example above.

Lastly. Make sure your resolver flushes it's DNS cache. As to your system. It should see the change(s) immediately. But you should check first.

somebody, May 27, 2024
  4. Does the hosts file support IPv6 addresses?

Temporary IPv6 Address Creation and logging

I have seen wide differences in the way some hosts create their temporary IPv6 addresses. Some only have a few, while some have hundreds. This leads me to trying to find the answers to several questions, which so far have eluded me. I am aware that this
    feature can be disabled, and that is the only responses I seem to be able to find, but I want to understand the process behind their creation.

1. Specifically what triggers the creation of a new Temporary address.
      1. Is this something that is controlled at the OS level, or do applications have a say on when a new address is created.
      2. Why do some hosts create a new one every few seconds, and have hundreds active, while some have only one or two.
    2. What triggers the deletion of an old address, with the same sub questions as (1)?
    3. How do I log the fact that a new address has been created, for later auditing, and what triggered it? If I have hundreds of hosts, on my network, I need to be able to retrospectively ascertain who was the source of malicious traffic.
    4. How can I identify which process(es) is responsible for creating the hundreds of addresses?
    5. How do the parameters below affect address generation and deletion
      1. C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv6 show privacy

Querying active state...

Temporary Address Parameters

---------------------------------------------

Use Temporary Addresses : enabled

Duplicate Address Detection Attempts: 3

Maximum Valid Lifetime : 7d

Maximum Preferred Lifetime : 1d

Regenerate Time : 5s

Maximum Random Time : 10m

Random Time : 1m57s
    6. If I enter the command netsh interface ipv6 show addresses I get a long list of addresses with the same
      valid life and pref life. Why?

A lot of questions, Sorry about that, but I am hoping if anyone can answer them, it can help many people understand this strange behaviour, that seems to plague many people.

Kind Regards

Brent-Steel, May 27, 2024
Thema:

Does the hosts file support IPv6 addresses?

1. Does the hosts file support IPv6 addresses? - Similar Threads - Does hosts file

2. Does the hosts file support IPv6 addresses?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does the hosts file support IPv6 addresses?: I am making a program that automatically adds and deletes lines to the Windows hosts file. So lets says you are working on example.com, and you have apache setup with a virtual host that runs example.com, you can click my script, and it will add:127.0.0.1 example.com to the...
  3. Does the hosts file support IPv6 addresses?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does the hosts file support IPv6 addresses?: I am making a program that automatically adds and deletes lines to the Windows hosts file. So lets says you are working on example.com, and you have apache setup with a virtual host that runs example.com, you can click my script, and it will add:127.0.0.1 example.com to the...
  4. How to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address

How to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address: I want to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 randomly forever because i scare someone can trace me but i don't see any tool to change ip random not handmade. And 1 question : If i upgrade windows 10 to 11, can it change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address . And if they know my IPipv4 and ipv6,...
  5. How to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address: I want to change my IPipv4 and ipv6 randomly forever because i scare someone can trace me but i don't see any tool to change ip random not handmade. And 1 question : If i upgrade windows 10 to 11, can it change my IPipv4 and ipv6 address . And if they know my IPipv4 and ipv6,...
  6. Windows machine does not get temporary IPv6 address while settings are enabled

Windows machine does not get temporary IPv6 address while settings are enabled: I have Windows 10 installed and IPv6. I don't get any temporary IPv6 addresses. I only get a Link Local and the Global Unicast address from the DHCP.'Use Temporary Addresses' are enabled and also 'randomize identifiers' are also enabled. See the output.How do I get my Windows...
  7. Temporary IPv6 Address Creation and logging

Temporary IPv6 Address Creation and logging: I have seen wide differences in the way some hosts create their temporary IPv6 addresses. Some only have a few, while some have hundreds. This leads me to trying to find the answers to several questions, which so far have eluded me. I am aware that this feature can be...
  8. Windows 10 no IPv6 address on boot

Windows 10 no IPv6 address on boot: Hello everyone. I have found on my home and office ipv6 SLAAC enabled networks, Windows 10 computers frequently fails to self-configure IPv6 addresses when boot up. Toggling wifi off/on via the lower right wifi icon does not solve the problem. However, if I go into Control...
  9. Unable to get ipv6 address

Unable to get ipv6 address: I have problem with ipv6 connectivity.I have 2 different OS on the same machine, but only ubuntu can access ipv6. On win10, it seems that the ipv6 address cannot be assigned to the OS. I can only get one fe80: gateway. Another win10 device can get ipv6 address through the...
  10. Realtek RTL8723BS does not support hosted network

Realtek RTL8723BS does not support hosted network: Hi, I am trying to start a hosted network on my Windows 10 system, but every time I got something like "The group or resource is not in the correct state." I then ran "netsh wlan show driver" and see that it is using a Realtek RTL8723BS driver which says it does not support...