Windows 10: Does the ISO W10 Disk create the W7 recovery image?

Discus and support Does the ISO W10 Disk create the W7 recovery image? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I created ISO disks for both my 32 bit and 64 bit systems at the MS download site. If I use the ISO disk instead of the Windows Update method, does the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by caveman88, Sep 12, 2015.

1. caveman88 Win User

Does the ISO W10 Disk create the W7 recovery image?

I created ISO disks for both my 32 bit and 64 bit systems at the MS download site. If I use the ISO disk instead of the Windows Update method, does the install still create the W7 image in case I want to go back to W7 after installing W10?

Also, do I boot from the disk or do I go into the ISO disk and click on Setup?

Thanks,
    Z

:)

caveman88, Sep 12, 2015

2. Upgrade and downgrade rights

One of my concerns is that on W7, the MS routine to create a recovery disk has "stopped working" (it never worked). There's no explanation, just the promise to notify me when the problem is resolved. This is not a huge problem at present, since the Dell-supplied
    reinstallation disk would get W7 re-installed and then I can restore the system to the correct state via the most recent system image. But, the Dell disk installs W7, not W10, so it seems that it is crucial that I actually be able to create the W10 recovery
    disk with the MS program. It is possible that whatever the problem with the recovery-creating program have been fixed in W10: for example if you know what the issue is with W7 and Dell, and that it has been addressed under W10, then that would give me more
    confidence.

The link on downloading W10 ISO files doesn't seem to talk about the expiration of the free upgrade. I don't imagine that MS is simply going to take down the program file that is download, I would expect that the program itself will be aware of whether the
    deadline has passed. Supposing, after a disasterous crash, that I re-install W7, and assume that I previously download the appropriate installer for W10 Pro, why would it allow me to reinstall W10 after the free-upgrade deadline has passed? How can the program
    distinguish between "hasn't ever upgraded to W10" and "has upgraded to W10 before the deadline"?

DavidOdden, Sep 12, 2015
  3. I created a W10 recovery iso disc for my W10 laptop, can I use that same disc to upgrade my W7 desktop to Windows 10?

*Original Title: Using a W10 iso disc

I created a W10 recovery iso disc for my W10 laptop, can I use that same disc to upgrade my W7 desktop or do I have to go through the games of upgrading the computer?

Don

DonaldBueltmann, Sep 12, 2015
  4. fulo Win User

It did for me from 7 Pro to 10 Pro. I clicked on setup on the ISO

HTH

5. Joergi Win User
    Two things:

The upgrade to Windows 10 never creates a system image. What it does create is a folder called Windows.old with downgrade data. This is independant of the upgrading method you use. Whether you use the upgrade app or the ISO image - a Windows.old folder will be created either way. However, sometimes this downgrade just fails - in the worst case you then have to reinstall Windows 7 from DVD. It is a brilliant idea to manually create a system image of Windows 7 before you start upgrading!

For the upgrade, make sure that you start it from inside your running Windows 7 installation. Do not start it by booting from a Windows 10 disc, which you maybe have created out of the ISO. If you upgrade by booting from the disc, your Windows 10 will not activate.

Joergi, Sep 12, 2015
  6. Also, there is a thread on this forum, and numerous reports, that the Roll Back feature does not always work -- and you can bet that when you needed it the most, as in when Win10 was a bad upgrade, it would NOT work.

You should seriously consider making an image of your install and saving that to an external drive BEFORE you attempt the upgrade. That way, you will be sure to be able to restore your original working system.

Mark Phelps, Sep 12, 2015
  7. caveman88 Win User
    Thanks for the responses. I actually did the 32 bit upgrade from Windows Update. Then W10 did a few system updates to get me up to date.

I will either use the ISO disk or wait for the November(?) upgrade before I do the last PC.

Z

caveman88, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does the ISO W10 Disk create the W7 recovery image? - Similar Threads - Does ISO W10

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. DISM does not work in W7 as in W10. Why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM does not work in W7 as in W10. Why?: Perennial error 87. What is wrong with this syntax?DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthThanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-does-not-work-in-w7-as-in-w10-why/5ffdcd27-3331-4d05-ae09-4ef5e7eeef78
  4. DISM does not work in W7 as in W10. Why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM does not work in W7 as in W10. Why?: Perennial error 87. What is wrong with this syntax?DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthThanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-does-not-work-in-w7-as-in-w10-why/5ffdcd27-3331-4d05-ae09-4ef5e7eeef78
  5. Using W10 to restore from a W7 backup disk.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using W10 to restore from a W7 backup disk.: I am not able to restore file from my W7 backup disk using W10 backup/restore. I have seen that Microsoft-staff claims that the old W7 backup is incuded in W10, but where? Is ther anyone who have a soloution?...
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  8. create iso for w10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    create iso for w10: Hi, upgraded W7 (clean install) to W10. on root C: have a folder C:\ESD\Windows that contains files and folders of DVD content (probably iso content, created during a setup) and related to reset if needed. See pic... The question: I want to create the iso containing...
  9. W7 to W10. 10 Downloaded. -iso to desktop-iso setup.exe = no install

W7 to W10. 10 Downloaded. -iso to desktop-iso setup.exe = no install: Downloaded W10 64bit as per the W10 How to upgrade Windows 10 Tutorial using the MCTool. Added a new Windows iso folder on my desktop and extracted the files to this folder. I then clicked on setup.exe which brought up a small oblong dark blue box with the word Windows and...
  10. Getting best of W10 and W7 ... Will saving images work?

Getting best of W10 and W7 ... Will saving images work?: Hi, I know Windows 10 is pretty okay and anyway inevitable .... but I do want to prolong Win 7 on my two main machines. This sounds like a reasonable approach - has anyone done it? or do you see any traps? - Backup Windows 7 with an image backup - Upgrade to Windows 10 -...