Windows 10: Does the microsoft hosted network adapter harm my PC?

Discus and support Does the microsoft hosted network adapter harm my PC? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; does the microsoft hosted network adapter harm my Pc? * Moved from Community Participation Center * Original title: harming my pc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alitaha11, Mar 23, 2020.

1. alitaha11 Win User

Does the microsoft hosted network adapter harm my PC?

does the microsoft hosted network adapter harm my Pc?

* Moved from Community Participation Center

* Original title: harming my pc

:)

alitaha11, Mar 23, 2020

2. microsoft hosted network virtual adapter

Hi Sayan,

I too, had uninstalled the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter, since I was unable to create a hotspot from the computer. After restarting, I was hoping for the adapter to be visible/present in the device manager, as it happens when we
    uninstall a USB Controller.

However, after restarting, the adapter is not seen in the Network adapters list, and also not found under the
    Other list, as you suggested above. This was checked after enabling view for hidden devices. Also, there is
    no yellow alert symbol near any adapter.

I have also restored the computer to an earlier restore point, but the adapter is still not seen !

Since, the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter itself is not found in the list, there is no way to update the driver software for it.

Hotspot creation has worked for me many times since I've upgraded to Windows 10, and I need it to keep working as before.

Request you to help !

Thank you.

Also, Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter is not associated with a hardware, is it ?

ArtiShelar, Mar 23, 2020
  3. how to install microsoft hosted network virtual adapter

Hello Jiaqi,

From the description provided, I understand that windows is unable to configure the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter device in Windows.

We would like to know the device status of the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter in the

Device Manager
    settings.

Unknown and uninstalled devices will be listed under
    Other. The device will have a yellow alert symbol on it. The properties for the device will show that
    no driver was found.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to follow these steps to run the Windows in built troubleshooter:

a) Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b) Click on Troubleshooting
    tab.

c) Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d) Select the Network Adapter option from the list.

e) Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
    Troubleshooter.

If you don't find the requisite drivers installed, follow the below steps to install the drivers.

• Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard and type “devmgmt.msc” in the “Run” Command box and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Device Manager” window, search for the 'Network Adapter'
      drivers, right click on it and then select "Update Driver Software'.
    • Then select the option 'Browse my computer for driver software '>>
      'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computers'.
    • Now uncheck the option 'Show compatible hardware'.
    • Under the Manufacturer select Microsoft and search for 'Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter'
      under Model.
    • Now follow the on screen instructions.

Write to us with the updated status on the issue related to Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter configuration. If the issue still persists, we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Does the microsoft hosted network adapter harm my PC?

Microsoft Network Hosted Virtual Adapter Driver uninstalled

The other day I went to start up my VPN Virtual AP for my Chromecast and iPad to connect to via my Windows 10 Machine using the following commands (have done this several times before and it has worked fine):
    netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NETWORKNAME key=PASSWORD
    netsh wlan start hostednetwork
    But to my nasty surprise, I was responded with:
    The hosted network couldn’t be started.
    The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.
    Now I've looked everywhere online for a solution to my problem here. The underlying issue appears to be that my Microsoft Network Hosted Virtual Adapter Driver is missing in Device Manager (when showing hidden drivers). This appears to be a result of an update to my WLAN Adapter (Will list spec at end). Here are the following things I have tried:

1. Looked for Microsoft Network Hosted Virtual Adapter Driver in Device Manager as a Hidden device - Not there.
    2. Disabled WLAN Adapter and Enabled to refresh drivers
    3. Scanned for Hardware changed in DM
    4. Tried rolling back WLAN Adapter to oldest version - 09/2015
    5. Updated WLAN Adapter to latest version - 23/08/2016
    6. Searched the Lenovo website for their default WLAN Adapter driver, downloaded and installed - but was the same one I had as my updated version
    7. Looked for older editions of the adapter, but they either installed but didn't have the Network Hosted Virtual Adapter, or weren't compatible with my machine.
    8. Restarted my machine after every change made to the network adapters
    9. Uninstalled LAN Adapter and reinstalled.
    What I've read is that some of the new WLAN Adapters have stopped including the Network Hosted Virtual Adapter in their installation package. Not sure how true this is but it would explain the sudden uninstallation of it.
    I think that's pretty much everything. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    Machine Model: Lenovo 100-15IBD
    WLAN Network Driver: Realtek PCI-E Wireless LAN Driver version 2023.37.0616.2016

SemiTechLife, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Does the microsoft hosted network adapter harm my PC?

1. Does the microsoft hosted network adapter harm my PC? - Similar Threads - Does microsoft hosted

2. Cant install microsoft hosted network virtual adapter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant install microsoft hosted network virtual adapter: basically when i install it, its says code 10 could not start my laptop is the HP 245 G7 Notebook PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-microsoft-hosted-network-virtual/03bab3bd-cf75-4421-84ae-11667b62cb2c
  3. "Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter is missing in device manager, Hosted network...

"Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter is missing in device manager, Hosted network...: 1. Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter is missing in device manager, 2. Hosted network support: No in the Command Prompt, and 3. Hotspot not working. May I ask Who is still experiencing these kinds of problems? It seems this occurred right after your Windows got...
  4. Missing Microsoft hosted network virtual adapter

Missing Microsoft hosted network virtual adapter: I've been trying to create a mobile hotspot using my PC so I can connect other devices, but have run into an issue: the Microsoft hosted network virtual adapter is missing from the Device manager. My version of windows is the latest, last checked for updates as per a few...
  5. Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter" is not found in my laptop network adapters. How...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter" is not found in my laptop network adapters. How...: hi Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter" is not found in my laptop network adapters. How do i get it ? I am using window 10.when i check Device Manager hosted network not showing and also not showing any wifi setting...
  6. 'Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter' does not exist in network adapter tree

'Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter' does not exist in network adapter tree: Hello, I have tried finding a solution to finding a driver download for this virtual network adapter but there is none except for the 2007 version. I checked the hidden devices, enabled internet sharing through my ethernet connection, and I cannot enable my personal wifi...
  7. Missing the "Microsoft hosted network virtual adapter" driver

Missing the "Microsoft hosted network virtual adapter" driver: After I found that I found that I was missing the "Microsoft hosted network virtual adapter" in my device manager, even when I enabled hidden devices which leaves me at a bit of a dead end. Is there anything I can do or is my PC unable to start a mobile hotspot? 87542
  8. Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter is missing

Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter is missing: hello , the title pretty much says it all. i cant create a virtual wifi network using this command netsh wlan start hostednetwork (the "set" command works) the solution is to enable Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter which is missing , and yes i tried to show...
  9. Microsoft Network Hosted Virtual Adapter Driver uninstalled

Microsoft Network Hosted Virtual Adapter Driver uninstalled: The other day I went to start up my VPN Virtual AP for my Chromecast and iPad to connect to via my Windows 10 Machine using the following commands (have done this several times before and it has worked fine): netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NETWORKNAME...
  10. Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter missing (Supported: YES)

Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter missing (Supported: YES): Hey guys, I'm a bit stumped over this one. I'm trying to create a hotspot, but I'm getting this error: The hosted network couldn't be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation. I've followed numerous troubleshooting...