Windows 10: Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case?

Discus and support Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I built a very nice system a long time ago (2006) and I installed Windows 7 Ultimate. I even bought the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. Sometime ago the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by alkaufmann, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case?

I built a very nice system a long time ago (2006) and I installed Windows 7 Ultimate. I even bought the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. Sometime ago the motherboard bit the dust. The motherboard, memory and cpu went to the recyclers and the rest has been gathering dust in the closet ever since.

I am thinking about buying a new motherboard, cpu and memory for this case. I wonder, would the Windows 7 Ultimate license be okay with this? The Windows sticker is on the case - a very nice full server Lian-Li case. *Wink

:)

alkaufmann, Jul 1, 2015

2. Does the 10 upgrade affect my 8(.1) license or the RTM Insider build?

Hi, could you please explain how to transfer the license to a new computer (after upgrading from 8.1 retail) as there is no key when the update is installed from windows update?

bigsandwich, Jul 1, 2015
  3. Does the 10 upgrade affect my 8(.1) license or the RTM Insider build?

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you have multiple questions about Windows 10 licensing and also you want to know how it is going to affect your Windows 8 key and Inside Program licensing.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I would like to provide you with the information that it is not going to affect the Windows 8.1 license only in the case, if you have upgraded the system from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 without using an
    iso file.

Windows 10 will automatically be updated without using any Product key.

However, if you have upgraded or installed Windows 10 using the
    iso file, then definitely it is going to affect the licensing key for your previous version of Windows.

For more information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Jul 1, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case?

I'm assuming that was a retail.. I don't think they sold any OEM versions of Ultimate... so you can transfer it to any computer you want, so long as you erase the original. Only OEM editions have the restriction.

Mystere, Jul 1, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    I've had at least two computers with OEM 7 Ultimate pre-installed, and several where I have had the OEM System Builder 7 Ultimate. I'm not saying that the OP has OEM, I am just saying it could be possible.

Kari, Jul 1, 2015
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    The License is tied to the motherboard (if it is an OEM version). Windows has no way of knowing what case you are using or what may appear on the sticker.

LMiller7, Jul 1, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Well, I stand corrected then.

Mystere, Jul 1, 2015
  8. Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case?

Yes it is OEM software. I have the entire original OEM package and tried to look up the license with the link provided by Microsoft on the package; it is no longer a valid link. Does that mean they tore up the contract? *Wink

I don't think an OEM license prevents computer repairs. I remember having to call Microsoft when I installed a new hard drive. I guess it depends what someone considers a repair or a whole new computer. I may give it a try and see if I can get it activated. If it does not activate que sara, sara.

alkaufmann, Jul 1, 2015
  9. I have heard of cases where motherboards have been replaced due to failure. I think it takes a phone call to Microsoft and a bit of begging to activate. I don't do begging well.

alkaufmann, Jul 1, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    If your motherboard is replaced by the manufacturer, then yes. If you just replaced it yourself, then no.

Mystere, Jul 1, 2015
  11. I am the system builder and I built it for myself. The manufacturer of the motherboard is ASUS and they no longer make or support this great motherboard they produced in 2005 and if they did find one, I would not want it. I think this case will continue to gather dust until I am ready to upgrade my current system.

alkaufmann, Jul 1, 2015
  12. batlhilz Win User
    check MS webpage:

OEM system builder licensing

as a system builder you get some "goodies" but guess its still a no go for OEM version of windows to a new motherboard

batlhilz, Jul 2, 2015
  13. groze Win User

Actually, Mystere I am going to disagree. If the motherboard defective then it can be replace with another motherboard it doesn't matter who replaces it and the same version of windows oem can be put back on. A repair shop is allowed to do that as well. The key is the motherboard being defective. Upgrading no.

groze, Jul 3, 2015
  14. That is about what I thought too but I won't bother trying to find a 10 year old motherboard. The best solution for me is if Microsoft offers a subscription service for the operating system like they do for Office. That way I can keep my home computers current and not worry about the number of activations if I decide to build a new system, modify my current system or just do another clean install.

alkaufmann, Jul 3, 2015
  15. Mystere Win User
    While you certainly CAN do that, it's not legal to do so. The license is very clear (We don't have a Windows 10 license yet, so we have to look at previous licenses).

From the Microsoft License FAQ:

Licensing FAQ

Mystere, Jul 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case? - Similar Threads - Does License Motherboard

2. Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?: Hello,I had installed a Windows standalone license on my laptop which originally had Linux OS. Now I want to switch the license to another laptop. I reset the OS and now want to remove Windows completely and install Linux. Will the license still be linked to the motherboard?...
  3. Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?: Hello,I had installed a Windows standalone license on my laptop which originally had Linux OS. Now I want to switch the license to another laptop. I reset the OS and now want to remove Windows completely and install Linux. Will the license still be linked to the motherboard?...
  4. Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Motherboard going bad?

Motherboard going bad?: I have a 200Mbps connection to my ISP. I have a specific machine that is getting only about 25 Mbps through the onboard network adapter or through the onboard wifi adapter. That machine is fully up-to-date on Windows updates and network adapter and wifi drivers. I get the...
  6. Motherboard going bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Motherboard going bad?: I have a 200Mbps connection to my ISP. I have a specific machine that is getting only about 25 Mbps through the onboard network adapter or through the onboard wifi adapter. That machine is fully up-to-date on Windows updates and network adapter and wifi drivers. I get the...
  7. Changing to a new motherboard and case

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing to a new motherboard and case: Hello, I am looking to take the parts from my HP PC and put them into a brand new case and motherboard. I want to be able to take the windows key license with it. I would also like to take both SSD from my pc into the new one unwiped one is boot drive and does have a windows...
  8. Changing to a new motherboard and case

Changing to a new motherboard and case: Hello, I am looking to take the parts from my HP PC and put them into a brand new case and motherboard. I want to be able to take the windows key license with it. I would also like to take both SSD from my pc into the new one unwiped one is boot drive and does have a windows...
  9. Changing to a new motherboard and case

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. License and changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    License and changing motherboard: Hi Guys I am changing motherboard soon and I heard that Windows 10 store license in the motherboard ? how and where it was stored ? how to move license to new motherboard ? Thanks 150648