Windows 10: Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case?

Discus and support Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by alkaufmann, Jul 1, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case?

See I read that differently. To me that doesn't say the manufacture has to replace it, it just says it has to be the same or equivalent motherboard.

groze, Jul 3, 2015
  2. Mystere Win User

The key phrase there is "as defined by the manufacturers warranty". You are obviously not getting a warranty replacement if you do it yourself.

Regardless, this is from the FAQ, the actual license says it more explicitly.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case?

1. Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case? - Similar Threads - Does License Motherboard

2. Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?: Hello,I had installed a Windows standalone license on my laptop which originally had Linux OS. Now I want to switch the license to another laptop. I reset the OS and now want to remove Windows completely and install Linux. Will the license still be linked to the motherboard?...
  3. Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?: Hello,I had installed a Windows standalone license on my laptop which originally had Linux OS. Now I want to switch the license to another laptop. I reset the OS and now want to remove Windows completely and install Linux. Will the license still be linked to the motherboard?...
  4. Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Motherboard going bad?

Motherboard going bad?: I have a 200Mbps connection to my ISP. I have a specific machine that is getting only about 25 Mbps through the onboard network adapter or through the onboard wifi adapter. That machine is fully up-to-date on Windows updates and network adapter and wifi drivers. I get the...
  6. Motherboard going bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Motherboard going bad?: I have a 200Mbps connection to my ISP. I have a specific machine that is getting only about 25 Mbps through the onboard network adapter or through the onboard wifi adapter. That machine is fully up-to-date on Windows updates and network adapter and wifi drivers. I get the...
  7. Changing to a new motherboard and case

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing to a new motherboard and case: Hello, I am looking to take the parts from my HP PC and put them into a brand new case and motherboard. I want to be able to take the windows key license with it. I would also like to take both SSD from my pc into the new one unwiped one is boot drive and does have a windows...
  8. Changing to a new motherboard and case

Changing to a new motherboard and case: Hello, I am looking to take the parts from my HP PC and put them into a brand new case and motherboard. I want to be able to take the windows key license with it. I would also like to take both SSD from my pc into the new one unwiped one is boot drive and does have a windows...
  9. Changing to a new motherboard and case

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. License and changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    License and changing motherboard: Hi Guys I am changing motherboard soon and I heard that Windows 10 store license in the motherboard ? how and where it was stored ? how to move license to new motherboard ? Thanks 150648