Windows 10: Does Upgrade from 7 to 10 Create a new Registry or uses old?

Discus and support Does Upgrade from 7 to 10 Create a new Registry or uses old? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I will upgrade to Win 10 during Christmas. Would like to know if an upgrade from 7 creates a fresh/clean new registry, or does it use the existing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Manigue, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Manigue Win User

Does Upgrade from 7 to 10 Create a new Registry or uses old?

I will upgrade to Win 10 during Christmas.
    Would like to know if an upgrade from 7 creates a fresh/clean new registry, or does it use the existing win7 one?

:)

Manigue, Dec 18, 2015
  2. JayWillig Win User

Does Windows 10 upgrade creat a new Freash registry?

Does Windows 10 upgrade creat a new Freash registry? Reason for asking this my other computer seems to have a corrupted Windows 7 Registry. Please answer this as soon as possible. Thank You

JayWillig, Dec 18, 2015
  3. Does the upgrade replace the registry going from Win 7 to Win 10?

Does the upgrade replace the registry going from Win 7 to Win 10?

If not, Should I run a registry cleaner prior to the upgrade?

PaulHydrean, Dec 18, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Going to say it will create a new one, the entries from existing software will be added. Particular reasons to ask this ?

jds63, Dec 18, 2015
  5. Almighty1 Win User
    From my experience, it just uses the old one.

Almighty1, Dec 18, 2015
  6. Manigue Win User
    New will be good. The reason is my actual registry still holds so much junk/leftover from old/removed software that I just thought it would be nice to start with a fresh registry.

Manigue, Dec 18, 2015
  7. Manigue Win User
    Pitty. Guess the best option will be a clean fresh install after the upgrade.

Manigue, Dec 18, 2015
  8. LMiller7 Win User

When you do an upgrade there will be a combination of the old registry plus the new. This is a complicated process. One of the major reasons for doing an upgrade is to maintain the original registry settings for the system and applications. If the upgrade gave you a fresh/clean registry all of that would be gone. If you have leftovers from uninstalled applications they will remain because Windows does not and cannot know for certain they are unused.

The only way to get a clean/fresh registry is to do a clean install. Registry cleaners can't do that.

LMiller7, Dec 19, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Dec 19, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Well said by LMiller, the only way would be a clean install. Should of pretty much figured this myself i knew old registry entries fro mexisting software would be there.

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Upgrade from 7 to 10 Create a new Registry or uses old? - Similar Threads - Does Upgrade Create

2. Creating a new Microsoft Photos registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a new Microsoft Photos registry: I'm having some issues with my Microsoft photos. Earlier today I had to clear out a few registry files due to some virus issues. I think during this, the Microsoft photos app may have accidentally had its reg file hit on the chopping block. The app opens then closes about a...
  3. Upgrading From Windows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading From Windows 7 to 10: I am wondering if the media creation tool is the easiest way to upgrading from windows 7 to 10 remotely? Is there an easy way to mass upgrade everyone on the network without them losing data? Is MDT easier? If using MCT do you have to baby it in an admin account so the user...
  4. Upgrade from 7 to 10

Upgrade from 7 to 10: I have tried to upgrade to Microsoft 10 . I have 7pro loaded on computer every time I try to upgrade to 10 I get an error message oxC1900101-ox20017 I have been trying for days now can not load 10 keeps reverting back to 7 pro I have purchased a drive fixer still know good, I...
  5. Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10: I have a PC that came with Win 7 and I upgraded it to Win 10 when the upgrade was free. I now have a new PC that shipped with Win 10. On the new PC I will be installing Vmware so I have a virtual machine. How can I use the Win 7 license from the old PC (and then upgrade...
  6. Creating a new registry enty for a new context menu entry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Creating a new registry enty for a new context menu entry: For text editing and browsing a file's contents, I always use Textpad because it is a very sophisticated text editor. Also installed Notepad++ "just in case." NP++ has a neat context menu option "Edit with Notepad++" appearing in any context. In prior Windows versions the...
  7. Upgrading an Old Windows 7 Desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading an Old Windows 7 Desktop?: Hey all got a question. I have an old dell xps 8100 desktop that i bought around 2010 or so. I haven't used it in a while. I got it from dell.com. When i check the settings i5 750 processor at 2.67ghz 4gb ram 500gb hard drive Im pretty certain the hard...
  8. 7 ==> 10 Upgrade: What happens to Registry & WINSXS

7 ==> 10 Upgrade: What happens to Registry & WINSXS: Win7 works A-OK for me and I see no compelling reason (yet) to go to Win10. However, my Win7 system is old and by now my Registry & WINSXS directory are full of junk. I know that at some point, if I don't do a clean install of something, some bad things will start happening....
  9. Upgrading from 7 to 10

Upgrading from 7 to 10: I just want to know if I upgrade from W7 to W10 will all of my applications be removed (eg. do I have to re-install all my apps)? 11028
  10. Upgrade from windows 7... and all old programs ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from windows 7... and all old programs ?: Just a question... i upgrade my windows ultimate and select to mantain file, documents, settings etc.. Now when i start windows 10 all my documents are present but no programs before installed, all are under windows.old / program.... So with this "upgrade" i must reinstall...