Windows 10: Does Upgrade from 7 to 10 Create a new Registry or uses old?

Discus and support Does Upgrade from 7 to 10 Create a new Registry or uses old? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I will upgrade to Win 10 during Christmas. Would like to know if an upgrade from 7 creates a fresh/clean new registry, or does it use the existing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Manigue, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Manigue Win User

Does Upgrade from 7 to 10 Create a new Registry or uses old?

I will upgrade to Win 10 during Christmas.
    Would like to know if an upgrade from 7 creates a fresh/clean new registry, or does it use the existing win7 one?

:)

Manigue, Dec 18, 2015
  2. JayWillig Win User

Does Windows 10 upgrade creat a new Freash registry?

Does Windows 10 upgrade creat a new Freash registry? Reason for asking this my other computer seems to have a corrupted Windows 7 Registry. Please answer this as soon as possible. Thank You

JayWillig, Dec 18, 2015
  3. Does the upgrade replace the registry going from Win 7 to Win 10?

Does the upgrade replace the registry going from Win 7 to Win 10?

If not, Should I run a registry cleaner prior to the upgrade?

PaulHydrean, Dec 18, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Going to say it will create a new one, the entries from existing software will be added. Particular reasons to ask this ?

jds63, Dec 18, 2015
  5. Almighty1 Win User
    From my experience, it just uses the old one.

Almighty1, Dec 18, 2015
  6. Manigue Win User
    New will be good. The reason is my actual registry still holds so much junk/leftover from old/removed software that I just thought it would be nice to start with a fresh registry.

Manigue, Dec 18, 2015
  7. Manigue Win User
    Pitty. Guess the best option will be a clean fresh install after the upgrade.

Manigue, Dec 18, 2015
  8. LMiller7 Win User

When you do an upgrade there will be a combination of the old registry plus the new. This is a complicated process. One of the major reasons for doing an upgrade is to maintain the original registry settings for the system and applications. If the upgrade gave you a fresh/clean registry all of that would be gone. If you have leftovers from uninstalled applications they will remain because Windows does not and cannot know for certain they are unused.

The only way to get a clean/fresh registry is to do a clean install. Registry cleaners can't do that.

LMiller7, Dec 19, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Dec 19, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Well said by LMiller, the only way would be a clean install. Should of pretty much figured this myself i knew old registry entries fro mexisting software would be there.

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Upgrade from 7 to 10 Create a new Registry or uses old? - Similar Threads - Does Upgrade Create

2. An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10: I have a desktop PC running Win 7 Pro. When a free upgrade to Win 10 was available years ago I tried to upgrade but for some reason, which I do not remember now, I reverted to Win 7 Pro. I am still running it.Now, when I upgraded Win 10 to 11 on my laptop, I would also like...
  3. An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10: I have a desktop PC running Win 7 Pro. When a free upgrade to Win 10 was available years ago I tried to upgrade but for some reason, which I do not remember now, I reverted to Win 7 Pro. I am still running it.Now, when I upgraded Win 10 to 11 on my laptop, I would also like...
  4. Using an old license from windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using an old license from windows 7: I have a couple of old windows 7 laptops that are too slow to use, and I was wondering if even though they are oem licenses, if they can be taken off of those laptops and installed on another laptop? I was going to use a chromebook so I'm not using two licenses on one laptop...
  5. Using an old license from windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using an old license from windows 7: I have a couple of old windows 7 laptops that are too slow to use, and I was wondering if even though they are oem licenses, if they can be taken off of those laptops and installed on another laptop? I was going to use a chromebook so I'm not using two licenses on one laptop...
  6. Does Fresh Start create a brand new registry?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does Fresh Start create a brand new registry?: I just read a couple of articles about the "Fresh Start" feature in Windows 10. I'm aware of all the precautions I should take if I choose to use the tool. But neither article mentioned whether it will produce a totally new registry. I'm asking because I upgraded from...
  7. Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Old windows 7 key not in use to new laptop: Hi. Searching in the internet i've read over and over that those stickers with windows keys in my case windows 7 home are tied to that computer, you can't transfer to another laptop, andwon't work even if you try yeah right... So why did it work in my case? Old laptop not...
  8. Upgraded to windows 10 from 7 to new problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Upgraded to windows 10 from 7 to new problems: when i upgraded to windows 10 couple days after i was noticed chrome would randomly get slow i was on youtube videos wouldn't load i could google stuff it was slow but worked tried troubleshoot nothing edge still seems to work loads up youtube fine then i noticed everything...
  9. Upgraded to windows 10 from 7 to new problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Upgraded to windows 10 from 7 to new problems: when i upgraded to windows 10 couple days after i was noticed chrome would randomly get slow i was on youtube videos wouldn't load i could google stuff it was slow but worked tried troubleshoot nothing edge still seems to work loads up youtube fine then i noticed everything...
  10. Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10: I have a PC that came with Win 7 and I upgraded it to Win 10 when the upgrade was free. I now have a new PC that shipped with Win 10. On the new PC I will be installing Vmware so I have a virtual machine. How can I use the Win 7 license from the old PC (and then upgrade...