Windows 10: Does Upgrading to Win10 from WU have clean install option?

Discus and support Does Upgrading to Win10 from WU have clean install option? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; That's basically my question. I'm planning to upgrade my Win7 laptop to Win10 next week and I'd like to know if there is an option for clean install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Famazed, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Famazed Win User

Does Upgrading to Win10 from WU have clean install option?

That's basically my question. I'm planning to upgrade my Win7 laptop to Win10 next week and I'd like to know if there is an option for clean install (Delete all files, fresh windows settings, old windows moved to "windows.old" folder) from Windows Update or do I have to download Windows 10 Media Creation tool?
    Thanks!

:)

Famazed, Feb 11, 2016
  2. kjl1956 Win User

In Which day Releasing Windows 10 TH2

Was only expecting the november 2015 updates.

When I ran wu 10586 was in the list, no option

but to install, insider builds were stopped and

a clean install was done from media.

Had to fine tune things again after the upgrade.

On another pc that was upgraded from win8.1 to

win10,, none clean install, the update to 10586

is not available, insider builds never used.

So to what systems are 10586 going out to;

newer hardware, troubled systems, uefi based,

or clean installs first or only at this point.

I have run WU a number of times on the one machine

and not even widows defender is updating.

kjl1956, Feb 11, 2016
  3. fje000 Win User
    Is it possible to switch architecture from 32 to 64?

I have Win8.1 32 bit. Can I upgrade to win 10 64 bit?

I know that the free upgrade does not support switching architectures, but answers in this forum go on to say that switching architectures is supported from a custom install when booted from install media. What does this mean exactly?

I have seen it clarified that the free upgrade is not supported from a clean install ... at first. But after the initial free upgrade install (and activation), then clean install is supported.

So therefore, after the initial free update install (from win8.1 32 bit to win10 32 bit) and activation, can a clean install be done from win10 32 bit to win10 64bit using install media AND maintain the activation?

fje000, Feb 11, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Feb 11, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    A clean install, by definition, will not keep anything from the previous Windows and will not create a windows.old folder. It is impossible to do a clean install from Windows Update alone - you need to either download an ISO file or create an ISO file from the ESD file that Windows Update will download.

NavyLCDR, Feb 11, 2016
  6. If it works the same as the Media Creation Tool, you will get a "keep nothing" option. That dumps everything into a Windows.old folder on the root of C, which can be removed later on.

DeaconFrost, Feb 11, 2016
  7. philc43 Win User
    The answer to the original question is no. As @NavyLCDR said a clean install by definition keeps nothing from a previous installation. It is not clear to me what the OP actually wants but I did offer the link in post #2 to show how a clean install can be done if that is what is wanted.

A good backup of all the personal files and a system image together with a recovery disk would all be worth taking from the current W7 so you can reload your files and even restore back to W7 if you ever want/need to in the future.

philc43, Feb 11, 2016
  8. Famazed Win User

Well, by clean install I meant that "Keep Nothing" thingy, as @DeaconFrost said. I'd like to know if upgrading via Windows Update has that option. Simple

Famazed, Feb 11, 2016
  9. philc43 Win User
    From my memory of the Windows Update route that I took for my W7 and W8.1 machines I did not get the option to "keep nothing". As part of the process the system creates a way for you to revert back to where you were which is active for 30 days after you upgrade. Hopefully others can confirm that my memory is right!

philc43, Feb 11, 2016
  10. You could always use the Media Creation Tool instead of Windows Update to be sure.

DeaconFrost, Feb 11, 2016
  11. Famazed Win User
    Alright, I'll give Media Creation Tool a try, thanks!

Famazed, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Upgrading to Win10 from WU have clean install option? - Similar Threads - Does Upgrading Win10

2. Clean install options

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install options: Hi, first post here, seems like an amiable and knowledgeable bunch. Hi to all! On an ASUS 64-bit desktop, I'm running 8.1 (build 9600) 32-bit and want to move to W10 in 64-bit, because so many things now just don't work with 32-bit systems. I know an upgrade is not possible...
  3. Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.

Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.: current setup: hdd running 1903 primary boot target: 1909 upgrade/clean install on ssd then primary boot 1903 still bootable on hdd secondary/backup boot in case of failures of any kind. how would i manage that without an optical which is being replaced by a tray caddy...
  4. Upgrade or clean install

Upgrade or clean install: Hello everyone. What's preferable, an upgrade or a clean install? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-clean-install/01e13cd7-40ce-47ce-bd1a-e92de4b77f7c
  5. Windows 10 upgrade - block the clean install option

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrade - block the clean install option: Hello W10Forums; We are thinking about releasing the Windows 10 upgrade into the wild on the machines of our customers. However, since we are using specific management software e.t.c., we do not wish the users to perform a clean install of Windows 10, only the in-place...
  6. Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?: I have duly upgraded my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 and it is shown as 'Activated': I have also downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file and saved that to a DVD: I now want to change my boot HDD to an SSD. Would the following method make sense? 1. Install the SSD and clone my...
  7. Can I Clean Install Win10 If I Upgraded from 7?

Can I Clean Install Win10 If I Upgraded from 7?: I was one that was able to upgrade for free from Windows 7. Everything had worked just fine, yet my computer never ran nearly as good after the 1607 update, despite fixes. With my upgrade, am I able to Clean Install without having to install Windows 7 first then upgrade to...
  8. Does clean install of Win10 format hard drive?

Does clean install of Win10 format hard drive?: Granted...this may be a dumb question...but I botched the upgrade to Win10 by selecting 32-bit instead of 64-bit. *Redface*cry*Sad I'm planning to do a clean install, from a bootable flash using the Media Creator tool (that includes the Ann. update) I know I'll lose all...
  9. Upgrade or Clean install?

Upgrade or Clean install?: I installed Win10 (clean Install) then reinstalled Win7 (clean). I'm now going to reinstall Win10 again after getting answers to issues I had with it. So my question, is it easier to just upgrade to Win10 since my programs are already installed in Win7, rather than a clean...
  10. Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key?

Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key?: I have Pavilion laptop with Win8 recovery option. I've upgraded my Win8 to Win10 via the free option. Now I need a clean install (format c: equal). Should I: 1. Install Win10 directly from the usb flash I used to install my desktop? If so what happens with product key,...