Windows 10: Does upgrading windows via the media creation tool allow you to choose what drive to...

Discus and support Does upgrading windows via the media creation tool allow you to choose what drive to... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just got a new solid state drive in my computer and want to move my windows installation to this drive. My computer already has an installation of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wikipii, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Wikipii Win User

Does upgrading windows via the media creation tool allow you to choose what drive to...

I just got a new solid state drive in my computer and want to move my windows installation to this drive. My computer already has an installation of windows 10. I noticed on the windows installation media download page that the media creation tool has an option to upgrade windows on this PC. This is ideal for me because I do not have any flash drives or CD's I can turn into an installation media. If I install windows using this option, will it allow me to select the new drive as the destination for the new Windows 10 install or will it automatically reinstall windows where it currently is?

:)

Wikipii, Apr 15, 2021

2. media creation tool

Hello,

The Windows Media Creation Tool allows you to download the Windows 10 ISO directly from Microsoft, without having a product key. You can use it to clean install or upgrade to Windows 10. It can also be use to download the different editions of Windows 10.
    Refer to this
    link
    to download the Windows 10 Installation Media Tool.

As for the build and version of your Windows 10, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open up the run command prompt.
    • Type winver into the run command text box and hit OK. You should now see a dialog screen revealing the OS build and registration information.

Should you need additional assistance, do let us know.

Jennifer Bri, Apr 15, 2021
  3. Window 10 Media Creation Tool errors with 0x80070456 0xA0019

I am trying to use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB flash drive but am getting an error message. It seems download the files successfully but fails part way through transferring the files to the USB drive.

The error message code I get is "Something went wrong ... 0x80070456 - 0xA0019"

The steps I take are

1. Run the program
    2. Accept the license conditions
    3. Choose "Create installation media for another PC"
    4. Language "English (United States)", Edition "Windows 10", Architecture "64-bit (x64)"
    5. Choose "USB flash drive"
    6. Choose the USB flash drive from the list

I am running Windows 10 Professional. The USB drive is 64Gb.

Kevin Brydon, Apr 15, 2021
  4. Does upgrading windows via the media creation tool allow you to choose what drive to...

How to create an UNACTIVATED Windows 10 installation USB flash drive using the new Media Creation Tool v1803??

I want to note also that the Media Creation Tool didn't give me the option to select the Edition of Windows 10 at the step you can choose the Language, Edition and Architecture. The only thing that was in the list was only the "Windows 10" option, not other
    editions...

So, is this a BUG of Media Creation Tool or I have misunderstood something? Is this reasonable?

Also is it reasonable when you install Windows (by USB Flsah drive created with Media Creation Tool) to be activated on its own after installation finishes??

MinimalTechGR, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Does upgrading windows via the media creation tool allow you to choose what drive to...

1. Does upgrading windows via the media creation tool allow you to choose what drive to... - Similar Threads - Does upgrading via

2. Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error: I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Enterprise OS to Windows 10 Home and bought the new OS and downloaded the .exe file. I also downloaded the installation tool that Microsoft recommended but when I try upgrading my PC, I'm given the error "The language or edition of the...
  3. Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error: I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Enterprise OS to Windows 10 Home and bought the new OS and downloaded the .exe file. I also downloaded the installation tool that Microsoft recommended but when I try upgrading my PC, I'm given the error "The language or edition of the...
  4. In Place Upgrade / Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In Place Upgrade / Media Creation Tool: Hi AllI was able to successfully use In Place Upgrade Media Creation Tool choosing the option of keeping personal files and applications to upgrade to the latest version 21h1 of Windows 10 this May. However I was still having security update issue even after a freshly...
  5. What Version of windows does the media creation tool download?

What Version of windows does the media creation tool download?: Hello, I recently build a new PC and I am going to install windows 10 on it, but the thing is as i was preparing the USB flash drive with windows on it from my laptop through the media creation tool, this thought just came to my mind, about the version of windows the media...
  6. Does installing the Media Creation Tool and choosing from it to Upgrade Now will delete all...

Does installing the Media Creation Tool and choosing from it to Upgrade Now will delete all...: I don't want to lose my personal files and apps installed .Whatever it deletes? Sometimes my PC does not sleep or hibernate. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-installing-the-media-creation-tool-and/4cbded97-96f6-43e1-b990-9f777bb1199b
  7. Media Creation Tool for Upgrades

Media Creation Tool for Upgrades: Quick question about the use of the Media creation tool. I am currently using MCT1903 on a USB to upgrade my PC to windows 10. I didn't turn the USB into a bootable device; I just put the tool on it. I am wondering if on the "Downloading Windows 10" screen of the...
  8. does the media tool allow upgrade

does the media tool allow upgrade: The media tool will do a fresh install of windows 10. But if someone only wants to upgrade windows 7 to windows 10, does it do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-the-media-tool-allow-upgrade/d132c67d-c641-4991-932b-bdbe4aff504a
  9. 1803 Upgrade Won't Install via Media Creation Tool

1803 Upgrade Won't Install via Media Creation Tool: I've got a PC stuck on 1511 that just refuses to install upgrades to more current versions. I'm 100% certain the hardware is supported as I have several other part-for-part identical PCs all running 1803 without issue. After a long time fighting with Windows Update itself...
  10. Installing Windows 10 via Media Creation Tool

Installing Windows 10 via Media Creation Tool: I have a copy of 10 reserved, but what if I lose my patience and download an ISO from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 I don't have a 10 product key yet, so how would that work? 9582