Windows 10: Does Virtual Hard Disks increase the Windows perfomance?

Discus and support Does Virtual Hard Disks increase the Windows perfomance? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I heard about a lot of videos on YouTube saying thatVirtual Hard Disks increase the performance of Windows. I opened this discussion because, in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CodebreakerSW, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Does Virtual Hard Disks increase the Windows perfomance?

I heard about a lot of videos on YouTube saying thatVirtual Hard Disks increase the performance of Windows. I opened this discussion because, in my opinion, Virtual Hard Disks are used only in Virtual Machines which used for testing Beta programs or Operating Systems. So, I believe thatunnecessary usage of Virtual Hard Disks reduces the performance of Windows instead of improving its storage capabilities.

Thank You!

If you think, that this discussion is helpful, please don't forget to mark it as helpful.

:)

CodebreakerSW, Dec 21, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Compacting virtual hard disks

We must have totally different working methods Does Virtual Hard Disks increase the Windows perfomance? :)

Let's see what I told to be my workflow, and check how that works in reality. Example W10 x64 VM is one I have used for ESDtoISO and UUPtoISO testing, a clean installed build 15048 with no additional software installed, upgraded several times to builds 15055, 15058, 15060 and 15061, always restored back to clean 15048. This has of course caused the VHD size to grow to multiple times what really is needed.

After the above, checking file sizes. Macrium image was made when the original 64 GB dynamically expanding VHD was 34.5 GB:

Does Virtual Hard Disks increase the Windows perfomance? [​IMG]

Macrium image size just under 5 GB:

After restoring Macrium image to a new dynamically expanding VHD, file size is 9.3 GB. Over two thirds smaller than original one:

The same as seen by File Explorer, yellow highlight is the original VHD, start situation, and green highlight the new VHD where Macrium image from old VHD was restored. Old VHD can now be deleted, net storage save savings over 25 GB in this example case:

(Notice that VHD has already grown over 0.5 GB since the previous screenshot a few minutes earlier. This is because in previous screenshot VM was not started yet after restoring the image.)
    This of course is all logical, happens every time.

3. Nickpick Win User
    Increase RAM in Windows 10 with hard disk

I'm operating on a large amount of data with python pandas and it is depended on RAM only. My computer only has 8GB of RAM but I have a 1TB SSD.

Is there a way with windows 10 to increase my RAM with my hard disk? I read about virtual memory and a the paging file. This is already enabled but doesn't seem to have any effect on what the computer considers RAM.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Nickpick, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Does Virtual Hard Disks increase the Windows perfomance?

increasing virtual memory/Windows not activated

Hello,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in Windows. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Are you getting that your Windows is not activated and is your Windows activated?
    • Are you not able to get into Settings in Windows?
    • Are you trying to increase the virtual memory?
    • Are you getting any error message or code regarding the memory issues?
    Please post to us with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

Does Virtual Hard Disks increase the Windows perfomance?

1. Does Virtual Hard Disks increase the Windows perfomance? - Similar Threads - Does Virtual Hard

2. Stuck in Creating a Virtual Hard Disk Window Hyper-V.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in Creating a Virtual Hard Disk Window Hyper-V.: I have an external hard disk. I am trying to create shared virtual hard disk in it with Hyper-V. Whenever I select the VHDSet option; the bar is stuck at %100. This situation is not different in Powershell too....
  3. Deleting files does not increase disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting files does not increase disk space: I wanted to reinstall a game on my laptop and couldn't because I did not have enough free space on the drive.I responded by trying to delete a slew of old saved games, which were backed up to my OneDrive despite my never having set them to be backed up #@$@#$ which resulted...
  4. Releasing virtual memory does not increase C: drive space

Releasing virtual memory does not increase C: drive space: Hi All, In my new windows 10 PC after installing only a few applications, the C:\ was nearly 80 GB. The OS itself is taking around 20-30 GB. But the pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys are nearly 20 GB and 30GB respectively. I saw on another thread that I could reduce the...
  5. Increase virtual ram in windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Increase virtual ram in windows 10: My system is running very slow from few days therefore i want to increase the virtual ram but I don't know the process https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-virtual-ram-in-windows-10/c104bbb2-bcc0-46ff-ba1e-f76db1144285
  6. Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD: I have a TB to choose from and I Made it 1,000,000,000,000,000TB to see if it was a 1,000YB which I went online to see how much it was and it said 1000 that is 1,000 YB but on my computer, after it was formatting it said 1024.98 GB and then I thought to my self boy that...
  7. Windows Virtual Hard Disks keep on detaching randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Virtual Hard Disks keep on detaching randomly: So I'm trying to download a large file 94GB on a Virtual Hard Disk since my computer doesn't have enough space. But for some reason, All of my virtual disks just detach and whenever I mount them again, I have to Download my file all the way from the beginning. Does anyone...
  8. Compacting virtual hard disks

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Compacting virtual hard disks: Compressing a vhdx file in Hyper-V Well I have had fun today trying to compress some vhdx files used in Hyper-V. My VHDXs only had around 15GB of files (10 pro Insider 15061) including hidden files after disk cleanup when in Hyper-V but the vhdx files were around 40 GB/...
  9. Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...

Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...: Hello everybody, recently I've installed Windows 8,1 Pro version on my laptop and today I'm trying to install Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise. I've have it on CD but when I'm trying to run it there's a message that says : "Virtual hard disk files can't be mounted from...
  10. Virtual Box ● Increase Disk Size ● In Windows

Virtual Box ● Increase Disk Size ● In Windows: More interesting is how to shrink it of course. Both increasing and decreasing disk size are covered in the VirtualBox documentation though thankfully. 41032