Windows 10: does win 10 works on virtual machines?

Discus and support does win 10 works on virtual machines? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I bought a refurbished laptop that came with Win 10 Pro installed. The point is windows do not allow another SO close to him, making it disappear even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bluedigit69, May 17, 2022.

1. does win 10 works on virtual machines?

I bought a refurbished laptop that came with Win 10 Pro installed. The point is windows do not allow another SO close to him, making it disappear even from Bios and seems there is no way to circumvent it from repeating this behavior every time a Linux SO is installed. That's why I look for a "virtualization way".... and Microsoft assistance is futile!!

:)

bluedigit69, May 17, 2022
  2. idgat Win User

win 10 to ssd for virtual machine/box

Seems to be a bit of confusion here, some steps you take relate to outright installation (i.e. host machine), others towards installation on a virtual device.

You need ...
    An Windows OS already installed on a computer (will be know as the host)
    Then install virtual software (e.g. Virtual Box - freeware)
    Run VB, then install the virtual Win 10 OS in the virtual box program. You can use the ISO

idgat, May 17, 2022
  3. S_and_S Win User
    Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, May 17, 2022
  4. Kari Win User

does win 10 works on virtual machines?

Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

Thema:

does win 10 works on virtual machines?

1. does win 10 works on virtual machines? - Similar Threads - does works virtual

2. Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine: Hello, I deactivated my Win 10 installation on my laptop, created a virtual machine on the same unchanged laptop, installed Win 10 and activated it with my product key, which all appeared to go well. Now I get a message saying that it cannot be activated with my product key...
  3. Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine: Hello, I deactivated my Win 10 installation on my laptop, created a virtual machine on the same unchanged laptop, installed Win 10 and activated it with my product key, which all appeared to go well. Now I get a message saying that it cannot be activated with my product key...
  4. Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. does win 10 works on virtual machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does win 10 works on virtual machines?: I bought a refurbished laptop that came with Win 10 Pro installed. The point is windows do not allow another SO close to him, making it disappear even from Bios and seems there is no way to circumvent it from repeating this behavior every time a Linux SO is installed. That's...
  6. does win 10 works on virtual machines?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    does win 10 works on virtual machines?: I bought a refurbished laptop that came with Win 10 Pro installed. The point is windows do not allow another SO close to him, making it disappear even from Bios and seems there is no way to circumvent it from repeating this behavior every time a Linux SO is installed. That's...
  7. win 10 to ssd for virtual machine/box

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    win 10 to ssd for virtual machine/box: I've watched a gazillion vids and tried 8(teen) ways to Sunday to create windows 10 on my new SSD to use on virtual machine/ box, whatever. I've downloaded and tried so many things I can't remember. After watching one vid telling me I needed to make my memory card a bootable...
  8. Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine

Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine: I'm up to 3 attempts at installing an XP machine on Hyper V (Windows 10 Pro), and though I can get the machine to run, I cannot find the browser I installed. Using the Hyper V tutorial, I followed carefully the points of unblocking both WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe and Opera's...
  9. Does Cisco WebEx Training work on virtual machines?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does Cisco WebEx Training work on virtual machines?: Does anyone know if the application runs in a virtual environment? Does it refuse to run or is there an option for the host to prevent jt from running? submitted by /u/sohrabhamza [link] [comments]...
  10. installing Win 10 into Microsoft Virtual Machine - no tutorial?

installing Win 10 into Microsoft Virtual Machine - no tutorial?: I thought I could use the same USB created with the Media Creation tool, that I used to create a regular Win 10 installation. But I'm missing something, because I can't get the VM to recognize that USB drive. 57397