Windows 10: Does Windows 10 delete any files during the installation?

Discus and support Does Windows 10 delete any files during the installation? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm planning a clean installation but have no space to backup all the files. The plan is to connect the hard drive to a different computer, move all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/podlak, Dec 15, 2019.

1. /u/podlak Win User

Does Windows 10 delete any files during the installation?

I'm planning a clean installation but have no space to backup all the files.

The plan is to connect the hard drive to a different computer, move all the files to one folder called BACKUP, erase everything else (Windows folder, Program Files, etc.), connect it back to the main computer and carry on with the installation.

Would that BACKUP folder be touched/deleted by Windows installation process?

submitted by /u/podlak
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/podlak, Dec 15, 2019
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Does Windows 10 delete any files during the installation? ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Dec 15, 2019
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 15, 2019
  4. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Dec 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Does Windows 10 delete any files during the installation? - Similar Threads - Does delete files

2. Does Resting With Keep My Files Delete Any Type Of File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does Resting With Keep My Files Delete Any Type Of File: Hi I Get An Error 0xc0000001 After I Restarted My Laptop Now Its Stuck In A LoopHole I Tried Multiple Methods From Youtube But None Of Them Helped As A Last Resort I Wanted To Rest My Laptop But With Keep My File My Files Are Extremely Important So I Wanted To Ask If I Choose...
  3. Does Resting With Keep My Files Delete Any Type Of File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Resting With Keep My Files Delete Any Type Of File: Hi I Get An Error 0xc0000001 After I Restarted My Laptop Now Its Stuck In A LoopHole I Tried Multiple Methods From Youtube But None Of Them Helped As A Last Resort I Wanted To Rest My Laptop But With Keep My File My Files Are Extremely Important So I Wanted To Ask If I Choose...
  4. Does Resting With Keep My Files Delete Any Type Of File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Error during file deletion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error during file deletion: I got some wierd files and i want to delete them, but I get an error message saying 'this file is no longer located in drive, verify location and try again'. I thought it must be virus but microsoft defender doesn't mark it as a virus.How do i delete them?...
  6. Error during file deletion

Error during file deletion: I got some wierd files and i want to delete them, but I get an error message saying 'this file is no longer located in drive, verify location and try again'. I thought it must be virus but microsoft defender doesn't mark it as a virus.How do i delete them?...
  7. Error during file deletion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. why does microsoft delete our files during windows updates...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    why does microsoft delete our files during windows updates...: i dont care if you need to delete files of your own apps and windows to put new ones...... but any other file is off limits ! no matter where they are on our hard drives. no matter when they were created no matter what app created them.... they do not belong to...
  9. Restore files deleted during WIndows 10 update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore files deleted during WIndows 10 update.: How do I restore jpeg files that were deleted from ther C drive in the last Microsoft update? These files are not in the recycle bin. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-deleted-during-windows-10-update/39bc7026-6678-43cf-94fe-93e7d60a92e5
  10. Does anyone knows any file delete app?

Does anyone knows any file delete app?: Hi, I'm using the Tuneup 2016 app, this suite has a program called Tuneup shredder, I wonder if someone knows any alternative of this tool. This app safes delete the files. I'm planning to stop using Tuneup but i find very usefull the file deteler. Thanks!. 67676