Windows 10: Does Windows 10 protect my laptop battery?

Discus and support Does Windows 10 protect my laptop battery? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have had an experience many years ago when I had a laptop that was constantly plugged in and "charging". The battery health was very good I presume... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AdnanBehrem, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Does Windows 10 protect my laptop battery?

I have had an experience many years ago when I had a laptop that was constantly plugged in and "charging". The battery health was very good I presume since the laptop wasn't even one year old.

One day it turned out that my battery just simply stopped working. The warranty covered the battery replacement but I was advised not to keep it plugged in constantly.

Does Windows 10 have the ability to protect the battery from overcharging? considering the power intake is much greater than the usage when not gaming

I have recently read here on MS Answers that modern laptops have a built-in chip that protects the battery from being overcharged.

Today I have HP Omen 15, made in Nvidia GTX 10 series era.

Is my laptop "modern" enough to have that protection chip?
    Does this chip work when the computer is shut down?

Do I have to unplug my computer when I turn it off?

Do I have to let the battery drain a bit before plugging it again?

:)

AdnanBehrem, Sep 7, 2020

2. laptop battery wont charge after latest update

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s okay if you only have 1).

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

FreeBooter, Sep 7, 2020
  3. Namslas90 Win User
    Laptop Battery

The battery should last about 3 hours, I still think it's a Windows power managment setting check this link for info

http://support.microsoft.com/search...False&x=10&y=12&query=laptop power management

This is a long list of known problems, maybe you can find the correct one knowing more of your symptoms

Link for new battery

http://www.camcorderbattery.ca/laptop-batteries/acer.htm

Namslas90, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Does Windows 10 protect my laptop battery?

Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Does Windows 10 protect my laptop battery? pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

Does Windows 10 protect my laptop battery?

1. Does Windows 10 protect my laptop battery? - Similar Threads - Does protect laptop

2. win 10 does not see my laptop battery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 10 does not see my laptop battery: Windows 10 on Laptop does not see my battery, just an "X", laptop needs to be plugged in to work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-does-not-see-my-laptop-battery/4d005f52-98aa-4a65-a257-18f816e3efb1
  3. win 10 does not see my laptop battery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win 10 does not see my laptop battery: Windows 10 on Laptop does not see my battery, just an "X", laptop needs to be plugged in to work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-does-not-see-my-laptop-battery/4d005f52-98aa-4a65-a257-18f816e3efb1
  4. win 10 does not see my laptop battery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My laptop does not recognize the battery?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My laptop does not recognize the battery?: My laptop does not recognize the battery? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-does-not-recognize-the-battery/fa52bdc3-49f0-4b77-a685-0ddaece8ba7b
  6. Battery not detected on my Windows 10 Laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery not detected on my Windows 10 Laptop: I have had my laptop for a while now 8 years, and like 5 years ago, whenever I pulled out my power supply, my whole laptop would shut down. Recently, I upgraded to Windows 10, and now it is the same. The battery comes up as 'Battery not detected' when I hover over it, and I...
  7. laptop battery on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    laptop battery on Windows 10: Hi. I upgrade my windows from 8.1 to 10. In windows 8, when my laptop battery reached 100, I unplaged and plugged agan. The battery showed 'not charging' and using up the battery. But in windows 10, the trick does'nt work. Unfortunately, the battery is always plugged. It is...
  8. does this protection protect more than one computer/laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    does this protection protect more than one computer/laptop: does this protection I received with my laptop protect other devices in my home' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-this-protection-protect-more-than-one/413d0261-997e-44e7-ab2d-3600e2098f6a
  9. windows 10 laptop Battery

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 laptop Battery: My new windows 10 laptop is showing no battery detected. The system closes as soon as I unplug the power source. Please, help thands https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-laptop-battery/5888a8a6-1620-4567-b858-3b3ff74398cc
  10. How does Windows 10 protect my laptop battery?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How does Windows 10 protect my laptop battery?: Hi every one. I have a Lenovo z580 laptop. The device had a windows 7 and some apps that Lenovo installed by itself. Energy management has a battery life charge mode that do not let battery being charged more than 60%. Do we have such a thing in Windows 10 or the O.S. has...