Windows 10: Does Windows 10 work on an old computer?

Discus and support Does Windows 10 work on an old computer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I help a friend on her W10, a laptop "less than 10years old". Let's assume its 8 years old. It repeatedly operates oddly in carrying out certain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stevekir, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Stevekir Win User

Does Windows 10 work on an old computer?

I help a friend on her W10, a laptop "less than 10years old". Let's assume its 8 years old. It repeatedly operates oddly in carrying out certain actions although it never throws an error message nor has a hissy fit. An example:

SD card in camera connected by USB reader to computer. Its drive appears on the laptop's list of drives in "This PC" and it has 12 folders, each of 10 files. All 12 folders are listed in a window on the Desktop and each folder's files can be seen on opening the folders. I select all the folders (Left click on the top one, SHIFT+Click on the bottom). Then LEFT click on one of the selected folders, hold and drag towards the Recycle bin. On the way a pointer message reads "Copy here" as it goes over the Desktop etc. As it goes on to the Recycle Bin's icon that message disappears (it should read "Move to Recycle Bin"). I release the laptop's button. No effect either in the source or target locations.

Another example: As above but instead of going to the Recycle Bin I drop the folders on to another open folder on the Desktop. That open folder now shows the 12 files (only) that are in the first folder on the card, no sign of its enclosing folder nor any sign of the other folders or their contents on the SD card. Therefore, only the 10 files in the first folder have been copied.

This is abnormal. I do this sort of action successfully nearly every day on my W10 desktop computer. There is another different action which is abnormal but I can't remember what it is.

Why is this happening on this computer? I have heard from several sources that any computer older than say 4 years or so is not suitable for running W10 (reportedly because it is a modern OS that "stresses" the hardware more than say W7 does). Is the age of the laptop the reason?

Thanks.

:)

Stevekir, Mar 26, 2017
  2. djvpuls Win User

Does Cooliris or PicLens (old name) still work on Ovi Share

So I read on ovi share's blog page that PicLens (the new cooliris) was compatable with ovi share, but this was an old blog post and the name has changed since them,
    but does it still work?

I've downloaded it and tried to get it to work, but it hasn't yet. It said on the blog page that you just have to mouse over the picture and an option would show up, and yet no joy..... Is says that the RSS indicator must be displayed in the footer. How
    do I do this? Is there one?

Thanks..

djvpuls, Mar 26, 2017
  3. djvpuls Win User
    Does Cooliris or PicLens (old name) still work on Ovi Share

Well I figured out that it works on public albums only and not on private albums...... Can't we get it to work on private albums too?

djvpuls, Mar 26, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi Stevekir

Don't think that computer more than 4 years old aren't suitable for Windows 10. I'm writing this from an (think) 8 years old PC, with some upgrades during the years.

Laptop could have some more limitations, especially because the graphic cards are not upgradable, but if they run, all should be fine.

Description of files copy /move behavior is perfectly normal. Files from removable media can't be putted in Recycle bin, therefore no action was performed, but you can delete them (without safety of Recycle bin...

If you want to move some files from removable media, try holding SHIFT key..

If you want files from SD card in Recycle bin, copy/ move them first to internal storage and then delete them...

Second example, about copying nested folders should be investigated further. All of nested folders and files should be copied if there is no error reported (read or write) and permissions are fine...

AndreTen, Mar 26, 2017
  5. Sven1458 Win User
    I have an old Dell Vostro 1000, came with Windows XP. it is running win 10, but would need a RAM upgrade to make it run better.

Sven1458, Mar 27, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Depends on the CPU that came with it. That series came with different CPU's from AMD. It max is 2GB for RAM, which is really going to limit it running Windows 10 properly. Would be good for a lightweight Linux distro install running xfce. I have three Intel Core 2 Duo's in my Basement that would not have any issues running Windows 10. That is because all of them have 4GB RAM. Unless I try to run CPU hog programs on them, they do just fine with email and web browsing.

bro67, Mar 27, 2017
  7. Jen812 Win User
    Jen812, Mar 27, 2017
  8. Stevekir Win User

Interesting. As a non-techie, I think I will conclude that if you are a light user (emails, Web browsing, text, photos) on an 8-year old computer, adding RAM would be a good idea. You would probably be able to run Windows 10 but would probably have problems if you run modern or more sophisticated software. In other words, the modernity of your hardware needs to match that of the OS and software that you are running.

Stevekir, Mar 27, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    On older laptops you may run into heat management issues e.g. in Safe Mode due to lack of compatibility of low-level drivers.

dalchina, Mar 27, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    I came back to this old thread as I have just finished Upgrading a Dell Vostro 1510 from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win7 then to 64-bit Win10 Home. The only issue with it occurred with Win7 and continued with Win10, couldn't get drivers for the Mass Storage Controller. Turned out it was for the ExpressCard port, don't know if they are still in use so no problem, just Disabled it in the BIOS and in Device Manager.

Berton, Sep 7, 2017
  11. Arelem Win User
    I was away when this thread was started. I'd like to drop my 2 cents plain though.

Windows 10 Pro is running like a champ on my HP Pavillion DV7 laptop. Its a Core 2 Quad Q9000 processor with 2Gb of memory.

Bought in 2008, its been through Windows Vista, 7 and now 10.

Arelem, Sep 7, 2017
  12. Dsch Win User
    Hey, about old laptops like 10+/- years i have a Packard Bell ALP-Ajax C2 old enough for retirement but since w10 come out i used it until last week and yeh run W10 1607 PRO and its still work but i not use it so often like before.
    I'm using w10 on it because i have W7 PRO license and made upgrade to W10.

Specs:
    W10 PRO x86
    CPU T2080 1.73
    RAM 4G but see only 3G
    VIDEO ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M

The only problem can be the video driver !!!
    For this video card i have the drivers and i can uplod to share it
    PS The laptop come with Windows Vista

Have a nice day

13. NumberTen Win User

I have an 2007-ish laptop (dualcore 1.5Ghz, 2GB ram, integrated intel gfx) and it is really sluggish with 8, 8.1 and 10. I blame the metro interface. You might see a difference with dedicated rather than integrated graphics, but for more efficient use I'd prefer something alot simpler. I have Linux Mint xfce on my old laptop which works well and is stable.

NumberTen, Sep 13, 2017
  14. I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex 945 Microtower:

1.86 Ghz Intel Core 2Duo
    5 GB RAM
    Stock graphics.

It works but it's not pretty. Once I can get a Core2Quad in it and a half decent graphics card, I think it will work just as good as something thats a few years old.

chad7550662, Sep 13, 2017
  15. bro67 Win User
    You can get the 775 Intel Core 2 Quad Core if your motherboard was made to use it. I have a Lenovo M58P 1637 with a Quad core, but the issue is that it will run hotter than it does with a Dual Core, even with the upgraded heatsink with fan.

bro67, Sep 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Does Windows 10 work on an old computer? - Similar Threads - Does old computer

2. How to install Windows 10 in an old computer that does not run Windows 10 in USB and in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install Windows 10 in an old computer that does not run Windows 10 in USB and in the...: Hi,Thank you for answering me, NathanYung0408, Jaspreet.Singh_050 and Bill Smithers!However, I already updated all the drivers with a software called "Driver Cloud" in my old laptop. I also made a system restore and a clean install reinstall and reset of Windows 7, but it is...
  3. How to install Windows 10 in an old computer that does not run Windows 10 in USB and in the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install Windows 10 in an old computer that does not run Windows 10 in USB and in the...: Hi,Thank you for answering me, NathanYung0408, Jaspreet.Singh_050 and Bill Smithers!However, I already updated all the drivers with a software called "Driver Cloud" in my old laptop. I also made a system restore and a clean install reinstall and reset of Windows 7, but it is...
  4. My old computer does not run Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My old computer does not run Windows 10: Hi,My computer shows an IRQL_not_less_or_equal_error, as soon as I boot Windows 10 on a USB drive or just install it without Internet with a Windows 10 iso in the OS. I found an idea to copy the "install.wim" file from Windows 7, 8 and Tiny 10 which I had created with an app...
  5. My old computer does not run Windows 10

My old computer does not run Windows 10: Hi,My computer shows an IRQL_not_less_or_equal_error, as soon as I boot Windows 10 on a USB drive or just install it without Internet with a Windows 10 iso in the OS. I found an idea to copy the "install.wim" file from Windows 7, 8 and Tiny 10 which I had created with an app...
  6. Windows 10 installation USB not working on old computer, but Windows 11 does however, not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 installation USB not working on old computer, but Windows 11 does however, not...: Dear anyone,My grandmother bought the "Dell inspiron one 2310" with a Samsung 850 Evo SSD, on which I installed windows 10 without a problem a few years back. Now she didn't need the PC anymore, so I copied my 240 GB Kingson HyperX to her SSD to give myself a little upgrade....
  7. Windows 10 installation USB not working on old computer, but Windows 11 does however, not...

Windows 10 installation USB not working on old computer, but Windows 11 does however, not...: Dear anyone,My grandmother bought the "Dell inspiron one 2310" with a Samsung 850 Evo SSD, on which I installed windows 10 without a problem a few years back. Now she didn't need the PC anymore, so I copied my 240 GB Kingson HyperX to her SSD to give myself a little upgrade....
  8. Windows 10 installation USB not working on old computer, but Windows 11 does however, not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Install Windows 10 on Old Computer

Install Windows 10 on Old Computer: I was just wondering why it says you can't install windows 10 to a older computer..I have a hp computer aug 31 2012...Wow 2012 but it still works great..So why does it say you shouldn't install windows 10 on a older computer? Thank you Alba [Original Title: Confused]...
  10. Windows 10 on OLD COMPUTERS

Windows 10 on OLD COMPUTERS: Continuing the legacy of hackerman1. Here's the thread about Windows 10 installations on OLD COMPUTERS ! . I start with my computer here . NOTE : As of Windows 8.1 there's NO LONGER the WEI (Windows Experience Index) benchmark from Microsoft , so you will have to...