Windows 10: Does Windows automatically compress files when copying new files into a folder with...

Discus and support Does Windows automatically compress files when copying new files into a folder with... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am not a techie person, but I do have a lot of files. I was wondering if checking the “Compress contents to save disk space” in the properties of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RatMaiden, May 24, 2023.

1. RatMaiden Win User

Does Windows automatically compress files when copying new files into a folder with...

I am not a techie person, but I do have a lot of files. I was wondering if checking the “Compress contents to save disk space” in the properties of a folder automatically compresses files copied into it in the background, or is it a one-time thing?

:)

RatMaiden, May 24, 2023
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, May 24, 2023
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, May 24, 2023
  4. Does Windows automatically compress files when copying new files into a folder with...

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

As you may already know, if this feature is on, every new folder/file you add starts off automatically compressed. If you would like to turn it off for the whole drive, kindly follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer . In the left pane, right-click on the drive that you would not want to be compressed.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that the Compress this drive to save disk space box is unchecked.
    • Click OK then Apply.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darian Tab, May 24, 2023
Thema:

Does Windows automatically compress files when copying new files into a folder with...

1. Does Windows automatically compress files when copying new files into a folder with... - Similar Threads - Does automatically compress

2. Does Windows automatically compress files when copying new files into a folder with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows automatically compress files when copying new files into a folder with...: I am not a techie person, but I do have a lot of files. I was wondering if checking the “Compress contents to save disk space” in the properties of a folder automatically compresses files copied into it in the background, or is it a one-time thing?...
  3. Does Windows automatically compress files when copying new files into a folder with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Windows automatically compress files when copying new files into a folder with...: I am not a techie person, but I do have a lot of files. I was wondering if checking the “Compress contents to save disk space” in the properties of a folder automatically compresses files copied into it in the background, or is it a one-time thing?...
  4. Copying file compresses it

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying file compresses it: I'm copying some jpg photo files from one folder to another on the same drive and instead of just copying it the system compresses it first then copies. Of course, it's now altered from the original file. What causes this behavior and can I stop it from happening? Thanks. Win...
  5. Copying files to new folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying files to new folders: I have a main folder (A), many subfolders and a file (B). Every time I create a new folder in A, I wanna copy C inside that new folder. Is that possible? submitted by /u/kolbyng [link] [comments]...
  6. A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?: Compressed folders are often shown in blue for user convenience. When Windows explorer copies files and also sub-folders from one compressed folder to another compressed folder, does it decompress the file data ON-THE-FLY, and then re-compress it again towards the...
  7. Copying Compressed Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Copying Compressed Files: Greetings, I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I would like to use the compact command before copying files to an external drive. However, I've run into two problems: First, it seems that Windows automatically decompresses files before copying them, and tries...
  8. Copying Compressed Files

Copying Compressed Files: Greetings, I would like to use the compact command on my laptop, and then copy the file to an external hard drive. However, the external drive doesn't support NTFS. Will this cause any problems? I'm using the external drive as a backup, so I wouldn't try to uncompress it...
  9. Stop compressing files automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop compressing files automatically: My PC got pretty low on storage a few months ago and started compressing files by itself. I have now got around 200gb free and would like it to stop. Has anyone got any potential solutions to stop this, please? I have already looked at the properties of the C drive and the...
  10. Automatic file compression

Automatic file compression: Today my laptop seems to have automatically compressed all the files and folders on my desktop. I've been able to decompress them with no problems but now every time I save a new file, windows compresses it. Does anyone know how to turn this automatic compression off? I have...