Windows 10: Does Windows Hello prevent PIN sign-in?

Discus and support Does Windows Hello prevent PIN sign-in? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently bought a Surface Book laptop with Windows 10 and set it up with my Microsoft account. At first I was (successfully) able to add a 4-digit... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SoaperGEM, Sep 7, 2018.

1. SoaperGEM Win User

Does Windows Hello prevent PIN sign-in?

I recently bought a Surface Book laptop with Windows 10 and set it up with my Microsoft account. At first I was (successfully) able to add a 4-digit PIN and used that PIN to sign in frequently. Later, upon discovering that Windows Hello (aka facial recognition as a sign-in method) was available, I decided to enable that. However, now it seems I'm no longer able to use my PIN as an alternative to Windows Hello - the only alternative is my full password.

If I'm wearing a hat or looking the wrong way or for some other reason Windows Hello doesn't recognize me, it will say so, saying "Couldn't recognize you. Please sign in with your PIN." However as soon as I click to do so, it displays a longer error message: "Your PIN is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. You can set up your PIN again by going to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options."

I have tried going to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, but don't see anything there that would indicate my PIN isn't working. Under "PIN," the only options are "Change" and "Remove" - both indicative that I have a working PIN set up. And indeed, in other contexts I am still able to use my PIN - just not to unlock the laptop when coming out of sleep, apparently. I do see on the top of the Sign-in options page that it says in red text, "Windows Hello is preventing some options from being shown." Does this have anything to do with it? Does enabling Windows Hello effectively disable PIN sign-in? How can I get both working simultaneously?

:)

SoaperGEM, Sep 7, 2018
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Login with PIN and Hello

Hi Jean,

Windows 10 includes multiple options to sign-in to your account, including the ability to sign-in using a PIN and Windows Hello, which uses facial recognition. For us to provide a solution suited to your concern, we need additional information. Can
    you answer the questions below?

• How are you setting the PIN and Hello?
    • Which build version of Windows is your PC running on?
    • Were there any error codes or messages?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how to set up PIN.

• Open Settings.
    • Select Accounts.
    • Click Sign-in options.
    • Click the Add button for the PIN and set your PIN.
    • Do the same for the Windows Hello.

Looking forward to your response.

Anne Ros, Sep 7, 2018
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    Windows Hello and Pin sign on

Hello Adam,

There are a number of reasons why you can’t set up Windows Hello and Pin at the same time. To isolate the issue, we would like you to answer the following questions:

• Are you trying to set up Windows Hello using a Microsoft or a Local account?
    • Have you made any recent changes on your device?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, Sep 7, 2018
  4. Does Windows Hello prevent PIN sign-in?

PIN Box Missing - After Update - Windows Hello

Thank you for all the information.

To assist you better with your concern, we suggest that you disable Windows Hello. This should prevent you from getting issues in logging-in to your computer.

To do it, kindly follow the steps below:

• On your Cortana, type "Settings", and then press Enter.
    • Select Accounts.
    • Choose Sign-in options.
    • Disable Windows Hello.

Let us know how it goes.

Jhessica Sur, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

Does Windows Hello prevent PIN sign-in?

1. Does Windows Hello prevent PIN sign-in? - Similar Threads - Does Hello prevent

2. Sign-in option with PIN Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign-in option with PIN Windows Hello: I want to remove sign-in option with PIN. But the "Remove this signing option" button is inactive transparent. How to fix this and remove this option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-in-option-with-pin-windows-hello/9a92b2bd-7841-4156-b1fb-7f679e1d5e40
  3. Sign-in option with PIN Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sign-in option with PIN Windows Hello: I want to remove sign-in option with PIN. But the "Remove this signing option" button is inactive transparent. How to fix this and remove this option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-in-option-with-pin-windows-hello/9a92b2bd-7841-4156-b1fb-7f679e1d5e40
  4. Windows Hello Sign In PIN Not Creating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello Sign In PIN Not Creating: Hello thereI am trying to create a PIN but once I finish creating the PIN, it says 'Something went wrong. We weren't able to set up your PIN. You can try again, or skip this step and set up a PIN later'I tried doing it again and again for at least 5 times and it still doesn't...
  5. Windows Hello Sign In PIN Not Creating

Windows Hello Sign In PIN Not Creating: Hello thereI am trying to create a PIN but once I finish creating the PIN, it says 'Something went wrong. We weren't able to set up your PIN. You can try again, or skip this step and set up a PIN later'I tried doing it again and again for at least 5 times and it still doesn't...
  6. issue of signing in with PIN Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Gaming
    issue of signing in with PIN Windows Hello: I cant seem to login using any of the options given, but what im mostly worried about is that I'am unable to log in at the moment to my adminstrator account using the usuall PIN key that I used to log in with. As will as not being able to reset the Pin key at all not in...
  7. issue of signing in with PIN Windows Hello

issue of signing in with PIN Windows Hello: I cant seem to login using any of the options given, but what im mostly worried about is that I'am unable to log in at the moment to my adminstrator account using the usuall PIN key that I used to log in with. As will as not being able to reset the Pin key at all not in...
  8. Problems with PIN, Hello and sign in

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problems with PIN, Hello and sign in: I recently retired and my Office 365 for work was disabled. I purchased and installed the Office 365 Personal version on my PC. I can't logon to OneDrive, OneNote, Skype or Sign in from within my software apps, and I don't know if there is some conflict with what I had and...
  9. Windows Hello preventing options on requiring sign-in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows Hello preventing options on requiring sign-in: I got a new Lenovo laptop computer and it was working great but the last month or so it requires me to login every time I step away...I used to have it set for a longer time iirc because it's in a home setting, but when I go to Sign-in options now it tells me: "Windows Hello...
  10. Sign in Hello and PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sign in Hello and PIN: The Hello and Pin Sign in Options are not working. Keep getting errors and restart option. doesnt work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-in-hello-and-pin/ca92c5d4-f081-4a93-85ac-6629bd9f639f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows hello preventing from setting pin

2. windows 10 couldnt recognize you

3. your account requires a windows hello pin