Windows 10: Does Windows.old get overwritten if I reinstall Windows 10?

Discus and support Does Windows.old get overwritten if I reinstall Windows 10? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi! My computer's got a few problems (can't even get to w10), and right now I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 with an USB key. The installation seemed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Inventeer, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Does Windows.old get overwritten if I reinstall Windows 10?

Hi! My computer's got a few problems (can't even get to w10), and right now I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 with an USB key. The installation seemed successfull the first time, but when I tried to turn on my pc, I got a message telling me that there was and error. Now, I have a question. All my personal data got stored in the Windows.old folder. If I try to install W10 again, will this folder get replaced with a new one, erasing all my previous data, or it will stay the same?

Thanks a lot!

submitted by /u/Inventeer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Inventeer, Aug 4, 2020

2. windows.old folder question

It does auto delete - eventually. Next time Windows updates and creates a new Windows.old file, that old Windows.old file will be overwritten. Then in 30 days, it will auto delete.

If you have lots of free disk space, I say just leave it. It is not hurting anything. But if running low on disk space, or you just want to get rid of it, you can delete it manually, use Windows own Disk Cleanup to clean out "Previous Windows installation(s)" files or use CCleaner. But for sure, I would wait at least a week or two to make sure you will not need to roll back to that previous version.

Bill_Bright, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Does Windows.old get overwritten if I reinstall Windows 10?

Windows.old directory

My laptop crashed on me and when I restored it with the Windows 10 repair disk, I was happy to find that my files were all intact under my windows.old file. However, after I reinstalled Windows 10 I got a notification to upgrade my Windows 10. So I did
    the upgrade but guess what my windows.old file from the crash was overwritten with the upgrade and now all my files are gone. Since I did this all the same day I rolled the update back on the windows 10.

However, the windows.old file did not roll back the original file. I still have a windows.old directory with no files. I also cannot restore to an earlier version etc. Do you have any suggestion how I can get this directory back with all of my files.
    Thank you for your assistance.

Also since this file was overwritten as part of the update to Windows 10 I would have thought this directory would have rolled back to or is this because it has now become a separate file.

AndreaBrewer, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Does Windows.old get overwritten if I reinstall Windows 10?

1. Does Windows.old get overwritten if I reinstall Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Does old overwritten

2. Old windows overwritten?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old windows overwritten?: Hello! I would like to ask for help and opinion for my current situation. I have TWO desktops, one was bought in 2014 and a new one this year. On my old desktop 2014, I purchased a PHYSICAL copy of WIN 10 HOME 64BIT ENG INTL 1PK DSP OEI DVD from a local computer store and...
  3. Reinstall windows in old pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall windows in old pc: Hello I have an old pc that was bought with a windows 7 oem license, which then was upgraded to windows 10 for free by microsoft when it came out. We need to format the C drive and reinstall everything as is not working properly, my question is, can I create a usb drive with...
  4. Reinstall windows in old pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall windows in old pc: Hello I have an old pc that was bought with a windows 7 oem license, which then was upgraded to windows 10 for free by microsoft when it came out. We need to format the C drive and reinstall everything as is not working properly, my question is, can I create a usb drive with...
  5. Getting back an overwritten file, windows 10.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Getting back an overwritten file, windows 10.: I seen all the help posts on Microsoft, go here do this then that but they don't work. What I did was, the same file card.xls, on my computer and on flash drive, to transfer back and forth when I update on 1 to the other. I worked on the file on my computer, saved, all good....
  6. Reinstalling Windows 10 on old system [Moved]

Reinstalling Windows 10 on old system [Moved]: Hi everyone. While trying to fix my dual boot, dual OS machine (Windows 10, Opensuse Linux 15.2) I inadvertently have fouled up the Windows partitions (C: & D:) although overwriting them from a linux backup seemed to be a bit copy (I thought) but now the MBR is fouled up (I...
  7. Windows 10 showed old partition before it was overwritten

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 showed old partition before it was overwritten: I have had a weird situation come up with a hard drive. Has anyone had Windows 10 Show them an old partition that was written over? Here is what I did. Computer A runs Windows 10 os on a small SSD and has a 2TB HDD with some files, 1 big NTFS partition for data storage. I...
  8. Unsynced files overwritten by old OneDrive versions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unsynced files overwritten by old OneDrive versions: Hi, I was working on a report which was not syncing to OneDrive as I had run out of storage. Unfortunately, I got confused by the options displayed at the top and clicked on "Discard changes" thinking that it would remove the file from OneDrive. It replaced the version I...
  9. I reinstalled windows 10. I am trying to get rid of old programs ( ie wow64,

I reinstalled windows 10. I am trying to get rid of old programs ( ie wow64,: l reinstalled I have old programs that I don't use but l can't take off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-reinstalled-windows-10-i-am-trying-to-get-rid-of/62111ee9-455a-4ed2-aa66-3c9a5738730f
  10. $WINDOWS.~BT overwritten

$WINDOWS.~BT overwritten: I had the windows bt folder, it was stuck at 57 mb, so i tried installing windows 10 using the software downloaded from the following link( Windows 10 ISO ). When I ran the software it gave me an error(Something Happened) and it created a new windows bt folder(the new folder...