Windows 10: Does Windows.old normally appear after Win 10 Feature Updates?

Discus and support Does Windows.old normally appear after Win 10 Feature Updates? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! For background, In 2017 I purchased a laptop that had Windows 10 as the built-in os, and no other operating system had been installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JosephWatts1215, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Does Windows.old normally appear after Win 10 Feature Updates?

Hello! For background, In 2017 I purchased a laptop that had Windows 10 as the built-in os, and no other operating system had been installed previously. I have had a really bad storage problem soon after getting it and was left with no storage to install anything or any updates. This has left me on Windows 10 Version 1703 until Recently in 2020 when after a long search, I found out what the programs that were hogging up so much space were, and uninstalled them before updating to version 1903. After this update I realized that a lot of the space I freed up with deleting those programs was gone, and using an app called TreeSize I found out that there was a new folder taking up around 28 GB of Space. Woah. The folder was called Windows.old, and after doing some research I saw that this normally appeared after updating from an older operating system completely Such as Windows 7 to Windows 10. But this laptop came with Windows 10, So here's my question: Is it normal for Windows.old to appear after Windows 10 to Windows 10 Feature Updates? And is it safe to delete? Thank you.

:)

JosephWatts1215, Jan 26, 2020
  2. wiganken Win User

Windows Update appears in "Programs & Features" list

Is the following odd update behaviour normal? Anyone else noticed this?

a) 1st March 2019: - Feature Update installed from v1803 to v1809

b) 31st May 2019: - Feature Update installed from v1809 to v1903

c) 12th November 2019: - Feature Update installed from v1903 to v1909

Feature Update a) installed the update as a program would be installed and it appears in the “Programs & Features” list of installed programs shown as: - “Update for Windows 10 for x64-based systems (KB4023057)” version 2.55.0.0

Feature Updates b) and c) were installed as normal and appear in the “Update & Security / View Update History” list where I expect all Windows updates to appear. Feature Update a), KB4023057, does not appear in this list.

Question - Now that Windows 10 has had another two FUs since KB4023057 I expect these will have superseded FU a) so can it be uninstalled or will this revert my DELL back to v1803?

wiganken, Jan 26, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Jan 26, 2020
  4. Does Windows.old normally appear after Win 10 Feature Updates?

Windows features wouldn't show on windows 10, appears blank!

I installed windows 10 on my pc, I am trying to enable my .net framework and I understand that the way to go about this is through windows features, however my windows features box appears blank, I can't find the checkbox with all the options, I have followed the steps listed on various websites (run services.msc, enable modules installer if not already enabled etc,) still nothing! I would really appreciate if someone could assist me here. Thanks

win10guyhere, Jan 26, 2020
Thema:

Does Windows.old normally appear after Win 10 Feature Updates?

1. Does Windows.old normally appear after Win 10 Feature Updates? - Similar Threads - Does old normally

2. Windows Media Feature Pack does not appear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Feature Pack does not appear: The option to install the windows media feature pack does not appear for me when I try to install it. My version of windows is as follows:-Edition: Windows 10 Home Single LanguageVersion: 22H2Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0The microsoft support...
  3. Windows Media Feature Pack does not appear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Feature Pack does not appear: The option to install the windows media feature pack does not appear for me when I try to install it. My version of windows is as follows:-Edition: Windows 10 Home Single LanguageVersion: 22H2Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0The microsoft support...
  4. Windows Media Feature Pack does not appear

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Win 10 does not appear as a "connected device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 does not appear as a "connected device": In order to add a child to Microsoft Familiy Safety, the 4th step is "Under Your family, select your child, then select Allow. Once they sign in, this device will appear in their connected devices." It is not clear, what does it mean "once they sign in", as I tried a lot to...
  6. Win 10 does not appear as a "connected device"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 does not appear as a "connected device": In order to add a child to Microsoft Familiy Safety, the 4th step is "Under Your family, select your child, then select Allow. Once they sign in, this device will appear in their connected devices." It is not clear, what does it mean "once they sign in", as I tried a lot to...
  7. Win 10 does not appear as a "connected device"

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  8. Windows feature update normal restart ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows feature update normal restart ?: Hi i just updated to the new feature update and i have 2 questions: Is it normal that after the update and restart windows immediatly restarts to finish ,i mean i looked away and didnt see a update finishing from 30% and then restart allmost post-boot.. The other question...
  9. is this normal for win 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    is this normal for win 10: [img] 118248
  10. Win 10 does not boot after update

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 does not boot after update: Hi, My PC (win 10 pro 64bit) never boots after any update. I just see a black screen with those little white dots rotating on the lower half of the screen and they do that for hours. That nonsense started with the anniversary update a month or so ago. I have to turn the PC...