Windows 10: Does Windows To Go wipe my GRUB bootloader?

Discus and support Does Windows To Go wipe my GRUB bootloader? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm planning on getting Windows to Go for my (certified) USB drive, but I've heard that during an update or install, Windows 10 usually tries to wipe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PriyaAravamuthan, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Does Windows To Go wipe my GRUB bootloader?

I'm planning on getting Windows to Go for my (certified) USB drive, but I've heard that during an update or install, Windows 10 usually tries to wipe GRUB (I use Manjaro Linux). I'm a bit confused: Does Windows to Go modify GRUB in any way, or is the boot loader on the Pen Drive itself?

:)

PriyaAravamuthan, Mar 8, 2019

2. Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB

Now after running into two different grub errors, my PC refuses to boot from anything. First I got the grub error no such partition, so I booted from Ubuntu 17.10 install disk and reinstalled Ubuntu 17.10, removing the previous installation of Ubuntu 17.10. After resinstalling, I booted once, and grub appeared normally, I think I also booted into Windows 10 from grub and ever after that, I can no longer boot period. I get this:

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (593K lower / 523264K upper memory)
    [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ]

I've tried booting from Windows 7 & 10, Ubuntu 17.10, 18.04 & DBAN (hdd wipe) disks with no success. Now what? (trying the grub commands from this link:

How to recover lost GRUB bootloader in Linux

didn't work).

Nutty User, Mar 8, 2019
  3. labrot Win User
    Grub bootloader before windows8

not the preview, the upgrade later this summer Does Windows To Go wipe my GRUB bootloader? ;)

i have a live system, i dont want to test, the main question is will MS install proces remove other bootloaders, if the setup is like above?

or will MS ask what i want (keep the extra grub and juist update if needed the old W8.1 regarding MS stuff and leave the rest untouched).

dont know all the tech, but i believe back then the w8 installer had some kind of problem due to the

Windows hibernation and fast restarting settings in combination with 3party bootloaders.

linux has a simmilar problem w mounting a windows partion, there the linux user needed to remove hyberhiberfil.sys and/or disable fast restart.

some say that trick would have worked for windows upgrade problems also, but the 10 upgrade installer does not wipe hyber and disables fast restart settings (before installing/rebooting)??

labrot, Mar 8, 2019
  4. labrot Win User

Does Windows To Go wipe my GRUB bootloader?

Grub bootloader before windows8

will the W10 upgrade work if you have a linux bootloader setup before the windows
    bootloader ?

had some negative experience before, (8 pro >> 8.1 pro update) that messed up the upgrade then, got stuck at 80% and then told me nice that it "fails-to-install"
    and rolled back to 8.

so are there any 10 testers (who have the same setup as me and) who can tell me if MS has a better upgrade method this time, last time i spend hours, had 2 fix the grub, because the w8.1
    had deleted it and it kept upgrading a failing system in its own circles, like a crazy dog trailing its own tail.

so will this upgrade experience in my situation be better this time?

or do i
    need to remove grub again ?

labrot, Mar 8, 2019
Thema:

Does Windows To Go wipe my GRUB bootloader?

1. Does Windows To Go wipe my GRUB bootloader? - Similar Threads - Does wipe GRUB

2. I installed grub bootloader on my windows sdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed grub bootloader on my windows sdd: I installed grub bootloader on my windows ssd by mistake now when I boot to windows it shows a blue recovery screen, i created bootable usb to fix and when i use the “bootrec /fixboot” command it gives me an error saying “access denied” please help....
  3. I installed grub bootloader on my windows sdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I installed grub bootloader on my windows sdd: I installed grub bootloader on my windows ssd by mistake now when I boot to windows it shows a blue recovery screen, i created bootable usb to fix and when i use the “bootrec /fixboot” command it gives me an error saying “access denied” please help....
  4. I installed grub bootloader on my windows sdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Not Showing Up On Grub Bootloader

Windows 10 Not Showing Up On Grub Bootloader: Hello All, I decided to replace Ubuntu with Windows 10 since it has recently been released for free on all platforms. It is a 32-bit computer and when I go into GRUB Ubuntu Boot-loader it does not show up in the menu. I am not trying to multiboot, but replace it. Can...
  6. Uninstall Grub Bootloader in Kubuntu?

Uninstall Grub Bootloader in Kubuntu?: Hi, let me tell my story first: I had created a dual boat about two months ago. Once Windows 10 and once Kali Linux. Then I tried to hack my own wlan. The wordlist I created should be 100 petabytes in size. I thought to myself: It will stop at some point. Conclusion: It...
  7. Delete Grub Bootloader?

Delete Grub Bootloader?: Hi so I have win10 installed on my current PC but I want to install uBuntu too (how to do that I know). My question is how do I undo this, do I have to boot Win10 and delete the partition from uBuntu or do I have to do something on uBuntu myself? Grub Bootloader löschen?
  8. How to Remove Grub Bootloader

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Remove Grub Bootloader: I can't figure out how to remove Grub from my Windows installation. I at one time had a dual boot with Ubuntu but have since completely removed BOTH OS's and started over. I just updated Windows, and to my surprise the first boot screen I encountered was Grub. I tried...
  9. Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override older Bootloader/GRUB

Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override older Bootloader/GRUB: I'm trying to setup a tri-boot on a Dell Optiplex 745 (Windows 10, 7, & Ubuntu)and I can't get Windows 10 Boot Manager as the default boot menu (the blue screen boot options menu [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/iILBt.png., not black screen boot options menu) [2]:...
  10. Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB

in Windows 10 Support
    Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB: I'm trying to setup a tri-boot on a Dell Optiplex 745 (Windows 10, 7, & Ubuntu)and I can't get Windows 10 Boot Manager as the default boot menu (the blue screen boot options menu [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/iILBt.png., not black screen boot options menu) [2]:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows install wiped grub

2. trying to wipe grub 2 off computer