Windows 10: Does Windows10 process scheduler honour Intel CPU "favourite" cores?

Discus and support Does Windows10 process scheduler honour Intel CPU "favourite" cores? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Does Windows10 process scheduler honour CPU cores labeled as "favourite" i.e. with best heat/thermal parameters in Intel CPUs? I wonder, Intel XTU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Hale_ru, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Hale_ru Win User

Does Windows10 process scheduler honour Intel CPU "favourite" cores?

Does Windows10 process scheduler honour CPU cores labeled as "favourite" i.e. with best heat/thermal parameters in Intel CPUs?

I wonder, Intel XTU reports that my XEON CPU has "favorite" cores #3,4 and 7.

In numeric simulations the worker threads generally fall to #3 and #7, and almost never on other cores including #4.

Is it a coincidence, and Windows kernel just "loves" specific core numbers, or it sees #3 and #7 in the list of preferred cores?

The similar question: is there a mechanism in Windows 10 for avoiding assigning heavy tasks to two virtual HT cores belonging to the same physical core? In Windows 7 that was a serious issue, when two computation threads were falling on the same physical core, reducing the performance by 50%

:)

Hale_ru, Apr 12, 2021
  2. btarunr Win User

Intel Updates CPU Launch Schedule

Intel's upcoming processor and compatible platform launch schedule gained some clarity today with tentative launch dates and time-frames surfacing from industry sources. Highlights on the client front include:

• Desktop platform initially based on Lynnfield quad-core processor and P55 chipset to be out between September 8~11
    • Three recently detailed mobile quad-core processor models based on the Clarksfield core will be announced towards the end of September or early October
    • Around the same time as above, Intel will release two new budget chips for its CULV platform, called Celeron SU2300 and Celeron 743. Expect these to be toned-down variants of the existing Core 2 CULV chips

On the enterprise front, Intel will introduce a train of new models of the Xeon processor, catering to different platform types. Highlights are as follows:
    • In early August, Intel will announce Xeon models W5590, W3580, W3550 and L5530
    • Along with the introduction of Lynnfield and P55, Intel will roll Xeon X3470, 3460, 3450, 3440 and 3430. To support these, Intel will launch two new enterprise chipsets, the 3400 and 3420
    Source: DigiTimes

btarunr, Apr 12, 2021
  3. tedsloan Win User
    Intel CPU not supported.

I was hoping to move from Win7 to Win10 but when a check is done for computer compatability I get the message -

! CPU The CPU isn't supported (NX)
    Memory OK
    Disk space OK

The CPU is an
    " Intel(R) Core(TM)2 duo CPU E7400 @ 2,8GHz 2.79GHz

The message ends up suggesting that I shop for a new PC online.

Thank you for suggestions.

tedsloan, Apr 12, 2021
  4. winactive Win User

KB4346084 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1803 - August 21

There's an iffy with the Coffee Lake CPUs I have a support ticket open with Intel about the stepping and which uCode they should receive. My CPU is listed as 906EA and has 0x96 but it should be 906EB according to Intel in which case it should have 0x8E

winactive, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Does Windows10 process scheduler honour Intel CPU "favourite" cores? - Similar Threads - Does Windows10 process

2. Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz: Hi Microsoft, I have a Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHzI'm wanting to upgrade to Win 11, but according to the PC Health Check App I have everything except the processor as a green tick. On the page:...
  3. Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz: Hi Microsoft, I have a Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHzI'm wanting to upgrade to Win 11, but according to the PC Health Check App I have everything except the processor as a green tick. On the page:...
  4. Cpu I7 intel core 6500u

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu I7 intel core 6500u: i ran the program to see if my lenovo is eligible to upgrade but the verification program says its not because of my above mentioned cpu. I checked the list of eligible cpu's and mine is listed as good. Please explain if you can to me what i am missing...
  5. Cpu I7 intel core 6500u

Cpu I7 intel core 6500u: i ran the program to see if my lenovo is eligible to upgrade but the verification program says its not because of my above mentioned cpu. I checked the list of eligible cpu's and mine is listed as good. Please explain if you can to me what i am missing...
  6. Cpu I7 intel core 6500u

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz Processor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz Processor: I am currently running Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 on my Alienware Aurora R6 Desktop PC. When I run the compatibility test, the PC meets all the requirements, except the processor IntelR CoreTM i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz[Cores 4] [Logical processors 8]. The test indicates this...
  8. Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz Processor

Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz Processor: I am currently running Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 on my Alienware Aurora R6 Desktop PC. When I run the compatibility test, the PC meets all the requirements, except the processor IntelR CoreTM i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz[Cores 4] [Logical processors 8]. The test indicates this...
  9. Why Windows 11 does not support Intel Core i5-7200U CPU @ 2.5Ghz Processer ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Windows 11 does not support Intel Core i5-7200U CPU @ 2.5Ghz Processer ?: I have Acer Aspire A515-51G laptop with Intel Core i5-7200U CPU @ 2.5Ghz,PC Health Check showing error 'The processer isn't currently supported for Windows 11.'So I checked by installing/running Windows 11 in VMWare workstation 15, and Its working very well.But I am afraid...
  10. Why Windows 11 does not support Intel Core i5-7200U CPU @ 2.5Ghz Processer ?

Why Windows 11 does not support Intel Core i5-7200U CPU @ 2.5Ghz Processer ?: I have Acer Aspire A515-51G laptop with Intel Core i5-7200U CPU @ 2.5Ghz,PC Health Check showing error 'The processer isn't currently supported for Windows 11.'So I checked by installing/running Windows 11 in VMWare workstation 15, and Its working very well.But I am afraid...