Windows 10: Doing a windows install with a specific allocated disk size

Discus and support Doing a windows install with a specific allocated disk size in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I just received a replacement drive after my old one stopped working, and I'm about to do a clean install of windows on it. I was wondering if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LauraSalas1, May 3, 2019.

1. Doing a windows install with a specific allocated disk size

Hi,

I just received a replacement drive after my old one stopped working, and I'm about to do a clean install of windows on it.

I was wondering if it's possible to install windows so that instead of my C drive taking 95% of my drive space (I think windows automatically partitions 5% of the drive towards other system files), it takes for example only 50% of it by leaving the other 45% of my total drive space unallocated.

I am doing this because I would like to install Linux with 100 GB of allocated drive space for it, but last time I installed windows it took over my whole drive, and I was only able to shrink my C drive by 13 GB, which was incredibly restricting (specially taking into consideration my drive is 512 GB).

I've tried workarounds for this maximum shrink size, but all attempts have failed. I am extremely reluctant of using third-party tools for shrinking my volume with fear that it will corrupt my drive (specially after just having to replace this one).

:)

LauraSalas1, May 3, 2019
  2. mkrk Win User

Disk Allocation

Hi everyone,
    It's Kousik here. I have installed xubuntu along with windows 10. To do that i had to re partition my hard disk which is of 1 tb. While doing this i can't allocate 250gb as primary partition.
    The message below is showing
    " You cannot allocate a primay partition because the disk already contains maximum number of partitions". Suggest me a way how to allocate that much amount of space in this situation Thank You

mkrk, May 3, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    NTFS File Allocation Size

i suggest reformatting, minimum of 40GB for C: (windows) drive.

then setup your second parition with a 64K allocation size - and yes, it makes a difference. defrags go a hell of a lot faster, and we all know fragmentation can slow drives dramatically.

Mussels, May 3, 2019
  4. Doing a windows install with a specific allocated disk size

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 3, 2019
Thema:

Doing a windows install with a specific allocated disk size

1. Doing a windows install with a specific allocated disk size - Similar Threads - Doing install specific

2. how to reduce MFT allocation size in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to reduce MFT allocation size in windows 11: My windows 11 harddisk size is 471gb hard disk of which 91gb is being used by $MFTIs it possible to reduce $MFT allocation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reduce-mft-allocation-size-in-windows-11/d7551597-585d-4d7b-a56b-f112ec129133
  3. how to reduce MFT allocation size in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to reduce MFT allocation size in windows 11: My windows 11 harddisk size is 471gb hard disk of which 91gb is being used by $MFTIs it possible to reduce $MFT allocation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reduce-mft-allocation-size-in-windows-11/d7551597-585d-4d7b-a56b-f112ec129133
  4. Size and Size on disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size and Size on disk: Hi this is what I see on Pictures property folder: [ATTACH] How come? could it be that 75GB take only 2.2GB on disk or is it the other way around?... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-and-size-on-disk/04a4374b-f0b9-4eac-b4b6-3b68373c3330
  5. Problem allocating external disk.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem allocating external disk.: I stripped the hard drive from my old laptop to use as a backup but it wont allow me to create a new volume. The only options i have are shown in the screenshot. Is there a fix to this?[ATTACH]...
  6. Allocating Disk Space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allocating Disk Space: I allocated 1 terabyte to PopOS but I decided I don't like it much. How do I reallocate the space back to windows? submitted by /u/Lawfulness_Negative [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k102ok/allocating_disk_space/
  7. How to view allocation unit size?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to view allocation unit size?: [ATTACH] When I view properties for a USB flash drive, I can see space used, free space, capacity and file system type. It does not display allocation unit size though. So where do I go to view that? Disk properties submitted by /u/Ken852 [link] [comments]...
  8. 3 TB Disk Allocation

3 TB Disk Allocation: I am having problems trying to allocate all of the space on a new 3 TB drive. When I installed windows 10 it installed the system files on the 500 GB SSD and allocated an additional 500 MB on Disc 0 (the 3 TB drive) for System Reserved. I have been able to create a New Volume...
  9. Disk Allocation

Disk Allocation: Hi everyone, It's Kousik here. I have installed xubuntu along with windows 10. To do that i had to re partition my hard disk which is of 1 tb. While doing this i can't allocate 250gb as primary partition. The message below is showing " You cannot allocate a primay...
  10. Disk allocation and Drive permissions

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk allocation and Drive permissions: Why do I get this error message and how can I resolve it? Error message reads: Unable to create record files for one or more tracks. Check your disk allocation and drive permissions." I have just purchased a Focusrite interface, downloaded the relevant software, but every...