Windows 10: Dolby, DTS and Spatial Sound greyed out

Discus and support Dolby, DTS and Spatial Sound greyed out in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Following a recent issue. I had to do a fresh install of Win 10. Following that said install, settings for Dolby, DTS and Spatial Sound are completely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by zongo, Dec 19, 2020.

1. zongo Win User

Dolby, DTS and Spatial Sound greyed out

Following a recent issue. I had to do a fresh install of Win 10.
    Following that said install, settings for Dolby, DTS and Spatial Sound are completely greyed out. I had access to all of them as I do have the hardware requirements met.
    I believe it could be just a matter of installing the proper driver. I looked on the net and found them but I am bit weary about downloading drivers from an unknown source. Non vetted source I guess.
    Any ideas what would be the next steps for me to get back this juicy sound I had before ?

PS: It seems I am not the only one that had this issue but no safe solution in sight on the net..

:)

zongo, Dec 19, 2020
  2. zongo Win User

Following a recent issue. I had to do a fresh install of Win 10.
    Following that said install, settings for Dolby, DTS and Spatial Sound are completely greyed out. I had access to all of them as I do have the hardware requirements met.
    I believe it could be just a matter of installing the proper driver. I looked on the net and found them but I am bit weary about downloading drivers from an unknown source. Non vetted source I guess.
    Any ideas what would be the next steps for me to get back this juicy sound I had before ?

PS: It seems I am not the only one that had this issue but no safe solution in sight on the net..

zongo, Dec 19, 2020
  3. Dolby, DTS and Spatial Sound greyed out

Hello @zongo,

Is your OS Activated after the install?

Have a look at these Tutorials . . .

> Check Activation of Windows 10
    > Activate Windows 10

I hope this helps.

Paul Black, Dec 19, 2020
  4. Dolby, DTS and Spatial Sound greyed out

The driver looks at the hardware and decides to either pass on dolby etc... or just stereo.
    Not even guaranteed the driver will ever do that unless modified.
    So if your hardware is licensed to work with dolby, then the driver should pass dolby surround to the device, or its the wrong driver, or the device is wrong for the driver.

I had an issue with my stereo TV. The windows sound driver saw the TV as stereo and even though I had my dolby receiver on the audio pass through for the TV, it did not know that. I had to modify the TV monitor driver to tell the PC driver it was dolby capable, then it worked. I have a thread on that in this forum, some could make it work and some could not.

Windows has made it highly convoluted and a pain to get dolby surround out of the PC and one reason is the sound chip maker for the audio chip on the board may not have paid royalties to Dolby, so the sound chip driver just never will work for anything but stereo, unless you get a driver that has been modified to work.

- - - Updated - - -

here is another little know fact, if you have a Firestick you can get dolby 5.1 when watching Netflix. But if you watch Disney Plus, you only get stereo.
    To get dolby 5.1 on Disney Plus, you have to have a Firestick 4K.
    I went through that last year, so I had to get the Firestick 4K to get decent 5.1 sound on everything.

another fact, you cant get dolby 5.1 on youtube videos, which is kind of bad. I like the sound of 5.1 over stereo.
    I get 5.1 dolby on my win 10 PC running WMC, which you can still get from the Green Button forum. So all my OTA TV is recorded in dolby 5.1
    I have 8TB of drives recording TV shows.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking some more on this dolby issue. If you use a video card that is also passing Dolby through the HDMI port, and you have an spdif dolby receiver, you can get on Amazon an HDMI switch box that splits out the dolby sound stream to an spdif coaxial port, and then you will get dolby into the receiver and not have to deal with sound chip drivers. That is how I do it on my media center PC using a GT730 nvidia card.

If you have a newer HDMI receiver, it also ought to get the dolby signal from the HDMI cable plugged into it from the video card and work without having to deal with any sound drivers.

The only real problem I had was making the onboard sound chip on the motherboard output dolby 5.1 out of its spdif port, and that requires a modified driver, if the driver you have does not work. I was able to find one that was modified and I got dolby 5.1 from the onboard sound chip

If you buy a dolby licensed sound card for a PC, then it ought to work for Dolby sound and you wont need any modified drivers perhaps USB or PCIe, it should just work as they paid the license fee for Dolby.

- - - Updated - - -

One reason I never bothered with youtube TV is I think it has no dolby support. I get dolby fine with WMC and all my local OTA channels for free.

sdowney717, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Dolby, DTS and Spatial Sound greyed out - Similar Threads - Dolby DTS Spatial

2. Spatial Sound greyed out in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spatial Sound greyed out in Windows 11: Recently bought a new pair of headphones so wanted to try out the dolby atmos but the spatial sound option has been greyed out in settings. Moreover, if I try to select windows sonic or dolby atmos in headphones settings, the option automatically switches to "Off". Kindly...
  3. Windows 11, Spatial Sound greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, Spatial Sound greyed out: Hello, on my laptop Asus G14 2022 I was using Dolby Atmos for my speakers. Suddenly after turning it off for a moment, whole "Spatial Sound" section became greyed out and it's not allowing to select anything thereI have already tried going to Device Manager and completely...
  4. Windows 11, Spatial Sound greyed out

Windows 11, Spatial Sound greyed out: Hello, on my laptop Asus G14 2022 I was using Dolby Atmos for my speakers. Suddenly after turning it off for a moment, whole "Spatial Sound" section became greyed out and it's not allowing to select anything thereI have already tried going to Device Manager and completely...
  5. Dts sound unbound greyed out and in spatial sound menu there is no option just the off button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dts sound unbound greyed out and in spatial sound menu there is no option just the off button: enable dts headphone-x.tried every solution possible but nothing happened and for your information my headphone is a4tech bloody g575 and dts comes with my laptop aorus 5 SE4.in spatial sound menu there is no option just the off button and the re is no option to...
  6. Dts sound unbound greyed out and in spatial sound menu there is no option just the off button

Dts sound unbound greyed out and in spatial sound menu there is no option just the off button: enable dts headphone-x.tried every solution possible but nothing happened and for your information my headphone is a4tech bloody g575 and dts comes with my laptop aorus 5 SE4.in spatial sound menu there is no option just the off button and the re is no option to...
  7. Dts sound unbound greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dts sound unbound greyed out: The enable Dts headphones x is grey out and dts home theator is greyed out too. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dts-sound-unbound-greyed-out/753afe68-32a0-4496-b5d3-73121d822415
  8. Dts sound unbound greyed out

Dts sound unbound greyed out: The enable Dts headphones x is grey out and dts home theator is greyed out too. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dts-sound-unbound-greyed-out/753afe68-32a0-4496-b5d3-73121d822415
  9. Spatial Sound Option Is Greyed Out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Spatial Sound Option Is Greyed Out: Hello, I am running a Windows 10 pc and I frequently play games however I have never had surround sound even though I know it is enabled on my headset. I recently figured out that the issue was with spatial sound itself not being on. My windows is activated and I have tried...
  10. Spatial Sound greyed out :

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Spatial Sound greyed out :: Ehh recently I tried other laptops it had Dolby atmos so it felt way better to have those Then I heard about something called windows sonic for headphones and it gave surround sound experience so I thought I would give it a try but it is greyed out...