Windows 10: Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees

Discus and support Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Small company - we buy our laptops and desktops from Dell usually. I set up the computers for the employees when they come in - attach to domain,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Microfiche_WPG, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees

Small company - we buy our laptops and desktops from Dell usually.

I set up the computers for the employees when they come in - attach to domain, install required software etc.

We have a local domain and controller that is linked to Azure with a free account.

I am wondering what I am missing in this environment that would let me join the computer to the domain and add the existing domain user to the computer at the time of initial setup. I can NOT figure out a way to do this.

My issue is described well here: https://superuser.com/questions/1417297/how-to-join-local-ad-domain-during-windows-10-install with the added clarifications that I am a domain admin, and these are OEM computers with Windows 10 pre-installed, so I can't easily "automate the whole process using unattend.xml"

I always end up creating a fake local user and then going back after setup and joining to the domain.

What am I missing here?

I have been doing this for years, and this only started being a problem recently (last few years or so?) - not sure if it is a result of Windows 10 changes?

:)

Microfiche_WPG, Aug 9, 2019
  2. wyeknott Win User

Domain Admin can't set Desktop Icons

A brand new Win 10 Pro (64-bit) from DELL.
    FWIW, BOTH DOMAIN ADMINs and DOMAIN USERS were added to the Local Administrators Group.

I (DOMAIN ADMIN) wanted to add "This PC" and "Network" to the local Desktop.
    I couldn't open Themes | "Desktop Icon Settings" to do that.
    Win10 threw an error suggesting no rights to do that! Is this CRAZY or not?

So logged in with a DOMAIN USER account and THAT user COULD do it!
    What's going on here? I'm starting to get scared of this PC. *Shock

Has anyone seen this behavior before?
    Is there a fix?

-Wye

wyeknott, Aug 9, 2019
  3. Matt18 Win User
    admin rights keep disappearing!?!!

Hi guys,

I am actually having a problem at work that our IT department hasn't been able to figure out. I am supposed to be a member of the admin group. We are on a domain. The problem is that everytime I reboot the computer I loose my admin rights(no longer in the administrator group) and just become a normal user again. I have tried googling this and didn't get to many results.
    I believe IT is just giving me local admin rights, not admin rights for the whole domain.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: It is on Windows XP Pro.

Matt18, Aug 9, 2019
  4. Ar Rom Win User

Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Hello Alex,

There are certain steps that you can do to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. Kindly follow the methods provided by Andre Da Costa on October 24, 2017 on this

link
    and see if this will resolve your concern.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Ar Rom, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees

1. Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees - Similar Threads - Domain admin setting

2. Windows 10 Pro Workstation to 11 Pro Workstation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro Workstation to 11 Pro Workstation: Hi, my current laptop has windows 10 HomeI was about to buy windows 10 pro workstation for itbut then came the question, will I be able to upgrade to windows 11 pro workstation in future if i buy it, I mean for free, or will it cost me extra? at the same time, will the key...
  3. Windows 10 Pro Workstation to 11 Pro Workstation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro Workstation to 11 Pro Workstation: Hi, my current laptop has windows 10 HomeI was about to buy windows 10 pro workstation for itbut then came the question, will I be able to upgrade to windows 11 pro workstation in future if i buy it, I mean for free, or will it cost me extra? at the same time, will the key...
  4. Owner change to Domain Admins on Enterprise Workstations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Owner change to Domain Admins on Enterprise Workstations: Is there a GP that will allow owner change on many 300 workstations... and have that selected as a Default when a computer is staged: At least to change in bulk - and not 1:1. 1. Right-click on the PC object and choose 'Security' tab.2. Look towards the bottom right hand side...
  5. Owner change to Domain Admins on Enterprise Workstations

Owner change to Domain Admins on Enterprise Workstations: Is there a GP that will allow owner change on many 300 workstations... and have that selected as a Default when a computer is staged: At least to change in bulk - and not 1:1. 1. Right-click on the PC object and choose 'Security' tab.2. Look towards the bottom right hand side...
  6. Owner change to Domain Admins on Enterprise Workstations

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Setting up an employee's computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up an employee's computer: I am trying to set up a new laptop which has Windows 11 for a new employee. I don't want to use my or their personal Microsoft account but I cannot set it up with a work account as the primary account. How can I register this as an organization computer with an employee as...
  8. Setting up an employee's computer

Setting up an employee's computer: I am trying to set up a new laptop which has Windows 11 for a new employee. I don't want to use my or their personal Microsoft account but I cannot set it up with a work account as the primary account. How can I register this as an organization computer with an employee as...
  9. Domain Admin does not have admin privileges on domain Win10 workstation

Domain Admin does not have admin privileges on domain Win10 workstation: Domain Admin does not have admin privileges on domain Win10 workstation: Environment:DC/AD: Windows Server 2016Workstation: Windows 10 Enterprise 2OH2 19042.1110 Issue:As a member of the "Domain Admins" and "Administrators" groups, a user "sean" is denied elevated privileges...
  10. Password complexity setting for AD domain with Windows 10 workstations

Password complexity setting for AD domain with Windows 10 workstations: I am trying to setup the Windows 10 password policy for our office workstation. Seems like there is a 'Password must meet complexity requirements' option in the policy setting, which require any 3 combination out of 5 criteria. But I cannot set custom combination e.g. upper...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setup domain controller windows 10 pro for workstations