Windows 10: Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees

Discus and support Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Small company - we buy our laptops and desktops from Dell usually. I set up the computers for the employees when they come in - attach to domain,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Microfiche_WPG, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees

Small company - we buy our laptops and desktops from Dell usually.

I set up the computers for the employees when they come in - attach to domain, install required software etc.

We have a local domain and controller that is linked to Azure with a free account.

I am wondering what I am missing in this environment that would let me join the computer to the domain and add the existing domain user to the computer at the time of initial setup. I can NOT figure out a way to do this.

My issue is described well here: https://superuser.com/questions/1417297/how-to-join-local-ad-domain-during-windows-10-install with the added clarifications that I am a domain admin, and these are OEM computers with Windows 10 pre-installed, so I can't easily "automate the whole process using unattend.xml"

I always end up creating a fake local user and then going back after setup and joining to the domain.

What am I missing here?

I have been doing this for years, and this only started being a problem recently (last few years or so?) - not sure if it is a result of Windows 10 changes?

:)

Microfiche_WPG, Aug 9, 2019
  2. wyeknott Win User

Domain Admin can't set Desktop Icons

A brand new Win 10 Pro (64-bit) from DELL.
    FWIW, BOTH DOMAIN ADMINs and DOMAIN USERS were added to the Local Administrators Group.

I (DOMAIN ADMIN) wanted to add "This PC" and "Network" to the local Desktop.
    I couldn't open Themes | "Desktop Icon Settings" to do that.
    Win10 threw an error suggesting no rights to do that! Is this CRAZY or not?

So logged in with a DOMAIN USER account and THAT user COULD do it!
    What's going on here? I'm starting to get scared of this PC. *Shock

Has anyone seen this behavior before?
    Is there a fix?

-Wye

wyeknott, Aug 9, 2019
  3. Matt18 Win User
    admin rights keep disappearing!?!!

Hi guys,

I am actually having a problem at work that our IT department hasn't been able to figure out. I am supposed to be a member of the admin group. We are on a domain. The problem is that everytime I reboot the computer I loose my admin rights(no longer in the administrator group) and just become a normal user again. I have tried googling this and didn't get to many results.
    I believe IT is just giving me local admin rights, not admin rights for the whole domain.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: It is on Windows XP Pro.

Matt18, Aug 9, 2019
  4. Ar Rom Win User

Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Hello Alex,

There are certain steps that you can do to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. Kindly follow the methods provided by Andre Da Costa on October 24, 2017 on this

link
    and see if this will resolve your concern.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Ar Rom, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees

1. Domain admin - setting up Windows 10 Pro workstations for employees - Similar Threads - Domain admin setting

2. Manage windows 10 PC and Set up Domain on Windows 7.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Manage windows 10 PC and Set up Domain on Windows 7.: Hello, I have a Office 365 Business Premium 30-day trial and want to set up Device Management on windows 10 and a domain on Win7. I linked my work account on win10 but device isn't managed, even after lurking into 365 Admin. Please could you: Tell me how to manage and...
  3. Setting up new admin in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setting up new admin in Windows 10: I have a work computer that has not been used in a while. We can't find any info on the past admin, and there are dozens of updates that can't be installed without an admin password. I need to set myself up as the admin, but I can't do that either without "admin approval."...
  4. Versions of Windows 10 Pro for Workstations?

in Windows 10 Support
    Versions of Windows 10 Pro for Workstations?: I recently learned of Windows 10 Pro for Workstations as version of Windows 10 geared toward very high-end workstation hardware. Then I happened to configure a Dell Precision 7820 Tower online, and I noticed that in the operating system section, it offers a choice of Windows...
  5. WINDOWS 10 PRO FOR WORKSTATIONS ACTIVATION

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 10 PRO FOR WORKSTATIONS ACTIVATION: I recently bought a Lenovo P51 mobile workstation which had a pre installed windows 10 pro for workstations key. Due to some software issues, i had to format my laptop and after a clean installation of windows 10 pro, I entered the original key that came in BIOS ( I had used...
  6. Domain Admin can't set Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Domain Admin can't set Desktop Icons: A brand new Win 10 Pro (64-bit) from DELL. FWIW, BOTH DOMAIN ADMINs and DOMAIN USERS were added to the Local Administrators Group. I (DOMAIN ADMIN) wanted to add "This PC" and "Network" to the local Desktop. I couldn't open Themes | "Desktop Icon Settings" to do that....
  7. Domain admin account as built-in admin account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Domain admin account as built-in admin account: I just upgraded two brand new pc's from Win 7 to Win 10. Computers were already added to the domain in Win 7 and I was logged into the domain administrator account when I did the upgrade to Win 10. Now when I am logged in with the domain administrator account, I can't open...
  8. Windows 10 Pro for Workstation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstation: Hello how can i downdload and install Windows 10 Pro for Workstation? 92534
  9. Upgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Upgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations: Ah, it all makes sense now. I entered one of my Visual Studio Subscription Pro Workstation Keys on a Pro Install and got the Activate prompt. I hadn't ever remembered seeing it do that on a change product key before. Errored out on the first try though and said Windows didn't...
  10. Setting up Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting up Windows 10 Pro: Hi, I got a faster computer because I work part time in the 3D industry. So I decided to get Windows 10 Pro as it wasn't that much more in the bundled software that came with my custom rig. I'm very close to shutting down this older machine and bringing this one fully...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setup domain controller windows 10 pro for workstations