Windows 10: Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails

Discus and support Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Machine is on a domain, thats how it gets logged in. Doesn't that imply that it knows where the WSUS is? Is there another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by pollockLA, Sep 24, 2020.

1. pollockLA Win User

Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails

Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails d8be8785-eea1-40cb-b357-fdca2677a9ed?upload=true.png

Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails 776bc59f-d7bf-45f1-bf0a-b7358df3ac4a?upload=true.png

Machine is on a domain, thats how it gets logged in.

Doesn't that imply that it knows where the WSUS is?

Is there another reason?

Theres a workaround on github that I'd rather not use. Does anyway know how to make this go?

:)

pollockLA, Sep 24, 2020

2. OpenSSH server configuration on Windows10

I am desperately trying to configure an openSSH-server on windows 10.
    I have followed serveral online tutorials but always get stuck with the keys.

I have generated ssh_host_ed25519_key and ssh_host_ed25519_key.pub in C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH.

But when I try to start sshd the log-file shows:
    Could not load hostkey .\ssh_host_rsa_key
    .\ssh_host_dsa_key
    .\ssh_host_ed25519_key

So I guess sshd is somehow looking in the wrong directory?

I should add that I am a 'unix-guy' and very unfamiliar with windows.
    BTW: the Openssh-client seems to work well on windows10

wolfgang6444, Sep 24, 2020
  3. Diapolo10 Win User
    Having trouble getting the built-in OpenSSH server to work

Goal: I'm trying to set up the Windows built-in OpenSSH server (version 0.0.1.0, as I recall that being the latest one) in order to use my desktop PC remotely should I have the need for raw performance when on the road through a Windows
    10 laptop.

Problem: Despite following
    the official guide
    to the letter, when I try to run "Start-Service sshd" in PowerShell I get this error:

Code:
        Start-Service : Service 'OpenSSH SSH Server (sshd)' cannot be started due to the following error: Palvelun sshd avaamin    en tietokoneessa . epäonnistui.    At line:1 char:1    + Start-Service sshd    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Start-Service],       ServiceCommandException        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand
    If I run the executable without "Start-Service", however, it runs and seemingly waits for connections, but according to the Services tab in Task Manager it's not actually doing anything at all, nor is there an SSH user account associated
    with it.

What I've tried:

• Restarting Windows (after every installation)
    • Uninstalling and re-installing both the server and the client (both from PowerShell and through the Settings application)
    • Switched to local account instead of a Microsoft account (suggested on a forum thread, tried the previous steps again)
    • Using an elevated PowerShell instance with admin rights

System information:

• Windows 10 Home, version 1809, build 17763.379
    • Hardware configuration:
      • CPU: i9-9900k @ 4.9GHz
      • RAM: 32GB 3200MHz DDR4
      • GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080
      • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A, BIOS version 0805

Let me know if other information is required.

Diapolo10, Sep 24, 2020
  4. Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails

SSH client/server? VPN? RDP?

OpenSSH client:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/raw/Maemo5/openssh-client?get_installfile

OpenSSH server:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/raw/Maemo5/openssh-server?get_installfile

VNC Viewer:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/raw/Maemo5/vncviewer?get_installfile

For the LOVE of GOD, please don't download and install build-essentials via apt... the N900 has a very small / partition.. All additional software should be installed into /opt (which is a much larger partition, actually symlinked to /home/opt)

If you install build-essentials you will possibly fill your root partition and effectively hose your device..

If you want to compile packages yourself, you'll need to use the Maemot5 SDK on a desktop.. either to produce the package you want OR to product a copy of gcc etc that installs in /opt..

OR, consult downloads.maemo.org where the package you want may already be listed Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails :)

cpitchford, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails

1. Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails - Similar Threads - Domain client's OpenSSH

2. Cannot install OpenSSH client or server optional features in Windows Server 2019

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install OpenSSH client or server optional features in Windows Server 2019: Hello Experts, When I try to install the SSH Server and Client optional features in Windows Server 2019 it fails. They do not install. In the settings -> Manage Optional Features menu, it looks like they start but never complete and then show up back in the list of available...
  3. Cannot install OpenSSH client or server optional features in Windows Server 2019

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install OpenSSH client or server optional features in Windows Server 2019: Hello Experts, When I try to install the SSH Server and Client optional features in Windows Server 2019 it fails. They do not install. In the settings -> Manage Optional Features menu, it looks like they start but never complete and then show up back in the list of available...
  4. Cannot install OpenSSH client or server optional features in Windows Server 2019

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. OpenSSH Server / client on W2K16 server

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    OpenSSH Server / client on W2K16 server: Hi there running a W2K16 server as a VM - seems the the optional features install don't include the openSSH server or client -- I'm using the Desktop experience standard edition of W2K16 server However using the powershell command from within the VM both products get...
  6. OpenSSH Server install is stuck

in Windows 10 Customization
    OpenSSH Server install is stuck: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Machine is on a domain, thats how it gets logged in. Doesn't that imply that it knows where the WSUS is? Is there another reason? Theres a workaround on github that I'd rather not use. Does anyway know how to make this go?...
  7. Install and configure OpenSSH client and server on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Install and configure OpenSSH client and server on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The SSH (Secure Shell) protocol works by authenticating a remote user and transferring inputs from the client to the host. It then re-transmits the output back to the client – the communication is delivered encrypted so the security is much [...] This post...
  8. New-SmbMapping command from ssh client on openssh server on windows 10 fails with Windows...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New-SmbMapping command from ssh client on openssh server on windows 10 fails with Windows...: Running "New-SmbMapping" command from windows 10 client itself works successfully. On windows 10, open ssh server has been configured to log on as local "Administrator" user. Running "New-SmbMapping" command from a remote Mac client through ssh session as "Administrator" user...
  9. New-SmbMapping command from ssh client on openssh server on windows 10 fails with Windows...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New-SmbMapping command from ssh client on openssh server on windows 10 fails with Windows...: Running "New-SmbMapping" command from windows 10 client itself works successfully. On windows 10, open ssh server has been configured to log on as local "Administrator" user. Running "New-SmbMapping" command from a remote Mac client through ssh session as "Administrator" user...
  10. Installation procedure for domain clients

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation procedure for domain clients: Have been reading other posts relating to this but is still unclear. 1) Am I correct in stating that in order to install the update from the ISO image onto a domain client machine, the client will be logged out of their account and then I would log back in as the local...