Windows 10: Domain Controller Failed Test Advertising

Discus and support Domain Controller Failed Test Advertising in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I have created a secondary (backup) domain controller and successfully managed to promote it. However, It doesn't contain netlogon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sysatester, May 20, 2019.

1. Domain Controller Failed Test Advertising

Hi Guys,

I have created a secondary (backup) domain controller and successfully managed to promote it. However, It doesn't contain netlogon directories. On running DCDIAG command, I get the following output.

Notes:

The current primary DC is running Windows Server 2003 with Server 2003 forest functional level. (Name - pdc, pdc.domain1.com)

My new server with errors is on Windows Server 2012 R2 (DC01, DC01.domain1.com)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator.domain1>dcdiag

Directory Server Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
    Trying to find home server...
    Home Server = DC01
    * Identified AD Forest.
    Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\DC01
    Starting test: Connectivity
    ......................... DC01 passed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\DC01
    Starting test: Advertising
    Warning: DsGetDcName returned information for
    \\pdc.domain1.com, when we were trying to reach DC01.
    SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING or IS NOT CONSIDERED SUITABLE.
    ......................... DC01 failed test Advertising
    Starting test: FrsEvent
    ......................... DC01 passed test FrsEvent
    Starting test: DFSREvent
    ......................... DC01 passed test DFSREvent
    Starting test: SysVolCheck
    ......................... DC01 passed test SysVolCheck
    Starting test: KccEvent
    ......................... DC01 passed test KccEvent
    Starting test: KnowsOfRoleHolders
    ......................... DC01 passed test KnowsOfRoleHolders
    Starting test: MachineAccount
    ......................... DC01 passed test MachineAccount
    Starting test: NCSecDesc
    ......................... DC01 passed test NCSecDesc
    Starting test: NetLogons
    Unable to connect to the NETLOGON share! (\\DC01\netlogon)
    [DC01] An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 67,
    The network name cannot be found..
    ......................... DC01 failed test NetLogons
    Starting test: ObjectsReplicated
    ......................... DC01 passed test ObjectsReplicated
    Starting test: Replications
    ......................... DC01 passed test Replications
    Starting test: RidManager
    ......................... DC01 passed test RidManager
    Starting test: Services
    ......................... DC01 passed test Services
    Starting test: SystemLog
    ......................... DC01 passed test SystemLog
    Starting test: VerifyReferences
    ......................... DC01 passed test VerifyReferences

Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones
    Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
    ......................... ForestDnsZones passed test CheckSDRefDom
    Starting test: CrossRefValidation
    ......................... ForestDnsZones passed test
    CrossRefValidation

Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones
    ......................... DomainDnsZones passed test CheckSDRefDom
    ......................... DomainDnsZones passed test
    CrossRefValidation

Running partition tests on : Schema
    ......................... Schema passed test CheckSDRefDom
    ......................... Schema passed test CrossRefValidation

Running partition tests on : Configuration
    ......................... Configuration passed test CheckSDRefDom
    ......................... Configuration passed test CrossRefValidation

Running partition tests on : domain1
    ......................... domain1 passed test CheckSDRefDom
    ......................... domain1 passed test CrossRefValidation

Running enterprise tests on : domain1.com
    Starting test: LocatorCheck
    ......................... domain1.com passed test LocatorCheck
    Starting test: Intersite
    ......................... domain1.com passed test Intersite

Please assist.

:)

sysatester, May 20, 2019

2. Anyone with domain controller migration experience?

I'm testing migration of our domain controllers on vmware from 2003 to 2008 before we go ahead with it on production. I have copies of two of the DCs in vmware, and two 2k8 installs. They're all host only with IPs in the same network. On the main 2k8 DC, I try and go through the migration process. But when it gets to the point of copying the data it gives an error:

The operation failed because:

The attempt failed to join this computer to the domain failed. "This operation is only allowed for the Primary Domain Controller of the domain."

Been googling this but not much luck so far

Hybrid_theory, May 20, 2019
  3. BOINC for Windows Domain Controllers

Long story short, BOINC stopped supporting domain controllers after version 5.10.45 and 5.10.45 broke because it's HTTPS security certificates are out of date. Requirements:
    • Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition or newer (must be 64-bit)
    • Must have domain controller role installed.
    If neither of these requirements are met, just use the latest version from Berkeley.

The solution:
    • Download this ZIP from TPU (thanks @Wizzard!)
    • Extract everything from the ZIP to the desktop or some place you can easily access it.
    • Run "boinc_5.10.45_windows_x86_64.exe" to install 5.10.45 as normal.
    • After it is installed, make sure BOINC is not running. If it is running as a service, you can stop it via Services. If it is running in the tray, right click on the tray icon and click on Exit.
    • Navigate to where BOINC is installed. This is usually C:\Program Files\BOINC. You should see a ca-bundle.crt file here (it'll have a different icon from the rest). If you do, you're in the right place.
    • Extract the contents of the "certificates" folder to the folder where BOINC is installed. You should be prompted to replace existing files. Do it. If you do not, you're likely in the wrong directory or copied the "certificates" folder instead of its contents. It is very important that the files inside of "certificates" overwrite the installed BOINC files.
    • Start BOINC again. If it is a service, go back into Services and start the BOINC service. If it is a tray application, run it from your start menu. You'll also need to start the BOINC Manager if you have it installed as a service for the next step.
    • Double click on the tray icon to open the BOINC Manager if it isn't already open. Click on the "Messages" tab and verify it is able to download tasks. If it is, you're good to go. If you see "SSL connect" errors lets us know by replying to the thread.
    The "certificates" are copied from 7.6.22.

FordGT90Concept, May 20, 2019
  4. sammy Win User

Domain Controller Failed Test Advertising

Question:- How to add client to domain from domain controller side?

Hi Guys,

-I have domain called lab.com created on virtual machine Windows Server 2008
    -I have added a client machine Linux machine rhel6 to domain lab.com in /etc/host file
    -I am able to ping DC from linux machine by IP and hostname .
    But from DC I can only ping Linux machine by IP address and not by its hostname "rhel61.lab.com"

I don't want to add linux machine entry to DC's hosts file as it is DC so it should resolve it

But I wish to know what step or doings I am missing from DC side that I am not able to ping linux machine by its hostname.

Please suggest.

Thanks.

sammy, May 20, 2019
Thema:

Domain Controller Failed Test Advertising

1. Domain Controller Failed Test Advertising - Similar Threads - Domain Controller Failed

2. Windows 10 Client PC force login testing of specific Windows 2019 domain controller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Client PC force login testing of specific Windows 2019 domain controller: Dear sir, Customer has a Windows 2012 environment upgrade AD to Windows 2019. He is using a new Windows 2019 Server Server1 join to Windows 2012 AD domain. Then perform DC promotion upgrade active directory. After added Windows 2019 Server1 as a AD server, he wants to have...
  3. Windows 10 Client PC force login testing of specific Windows 2019 domain controller

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Client PC force login testing of specific Windows 2019 domain controller: Dear sir, Customer has a Windows 2012 environment upgrade AD to Windows 2019. He is using a new Windows 2019 Server Server1 join to Windows 2012 AD domain. Then perform DC promotion upgrade active directory. After added Windows 2019 Server1 as a AD server, he wants to have...
  4. Windows 10 Client PC force login testing of specific Windows 2019 domain controller

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Azure Stack HCI Failover Cluster Test report Domain Controller Error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Azure Stack HCI Failover Cluster Test report Domain Controller Error.: Hello Everyone, we have recently deployed 3 different dell nodes for Azure stack HCI and everything was ok so far but now, when we setup a failover cluster for the nodes, and ran a test which shows us all the configuration in place, here we are getting a error message that...
  6. Azure Stack HCI Failover Cluster Test report Domain Controller Error.

Azure Stack HCI Failover Cluster Test report Domain Controller Error.: Hello Everyone, we have recently deployed 3 different dell nodes for Azure stack HCI and everything was ok so far but now, when we setup a failover cluster for the nodes, and ran a test which shows us all the configuration in place, here we are getting a error message that...
  7. Domain controller is not replicating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Domain controller is not replicating: Hi Techies,We have run in kind of a situation here in our estate. We found out that one of DC is not replicating properly with rest of them . On some troubleshooting I did reset affected DC password using netdom but that did not help and now it is saying "The naming context...
  8. Domain controller is not replicating

Domain controller is not replicating: Hi Techies,We have run in kind of a situation here in our estate. We found out that one of DC is not replicating properly with rest of them . On some troubleshooting I did reset affected DC password using netdom but that did not help and now it is saying "The naming context...
  9. S.MA.R.T Test failed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    S.MA.R.T Test failed: Hi Guys.Could someone please help me with a solution to my problem.When i start my laptop i am faced with the SMART check and it says that the short DST Failed .can someone help me to get back on tracks please.Thanks....
  10. how do I control size of advertisments?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I control size of advertisments?: Advertisements are now HUGE! I cannot remove them or shrink them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-control-size-of-advertisments/6dd60ffb-0a44-49bd-b11e-b2ff8835c7d4

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Starting test: SysVolCheck An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 64 The sp failed test SysVolCheck

2. domain controller advertising fail problems

3. dc fails to advertise