Windows 10: Domain User Issue involving RDP

Discus and support Domain User Issue involving RDP in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’m installing a computer that will primarily be utilized using the Remote Desktop application. The Domain Controller is running Windows Server 2012 R2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Shaner1981, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Domain User Issue involving RDP

I’m installing a computer that will primarily be utilized using the Remote Desktop application. The Domain Controller is running Windows Server 2012 R2 and the computer I’m installing that will be RDP’d is running Windows 10 Professional. The new machine is a Dell Precision 5820. I have it joined to the domain and can create an RDP session using the Domain Administrator account along with other accounts.

When I go to use the User account which is a generic user account that is a member of Domain Users, and Remote Desktop Users I get a message saying “Other User, The user account is configured to prevent you from using this PC. Please try another PC.”. I’ve added the user to the local computer using the domain credentials. Does anyone have any ideas for possible reasons why I’d be getting this?

submitted by /u/Shaner1981
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Shaner1981, Feb 11, 2020
  2. changari Win User

Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, Feb 11, 2020
  3. ZenMasta Win User
    User/Domain missing from RDP log

I experienced a security issue today where I was logged out due to RDP session (while I was RDP'd) when I reconnected someone was using the webs browser. I pulled the plug on the ethernet and deleted my RDP rules on my router. As well as reset the windows
    firewall to only allow private networks.

But now I'd like to see if I can figure out the IP that made those connections.

If I drill down to

Event viewer-->Microsoft-->Windows-->TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManagerin TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager OperationalEvent ID: 1149

I do see several entries

I see user/domain and an ipv6 address for hich I believe is my current ipv6 (it doesnt match exactly what I see when I ipconfig, but when I log out and reconnect it's the same in the event viewer)

but then I see many other entries which have no user or domain, but have either an ipv4 or ipv6 (both which happen to be the pc I'm currently using)

How can user authentication succeed but not log the user and domain?

Is there any other item in event viewer that I can lookup to help find the intruding ip address?

ZenMasta, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Domain User Issue involving RDP

Domain to Domain Migration Issue

Hello All

We are migrating 2 domains in to a new domain, we have created jump boxes to perform this task as well as others. We also have an ADMT Server set up to migrate over user, accounts, servers/pcs/laptops. Using ADMT we are seeing this issue; After
    we joining to the new domain, we have to re-install RDP Services on the Jump Box that was migrated. Does anyone have a clue as to where I can look for a resolution to this issue?

Thanks,

Michael

Nexusguy59, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Domain User Issue involving RDP

1. Domain User Issue involving RDP - Similar Threads - Domain User Issue

2. Print Issues for Domain Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Print Issues for Domain Users: Just a little insight, I have a new environment all WS2019, two domain controllers, file server, sql server and more, all of that is doing as expected with no issues... Problems...We joined computers to the new domain over the weekend. Since we joined the new domain, we...
  3. Print Issues for Domain Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Print Issues for Domain Users: Just a little insight, I have a new environment all WS2019, two domain controllers, file server, sql server and more, all of that is doing as expected with no issues... Problems...We joined computers to the new domain over the weekend. Since we joined the new domain, we...
  4. Print Issues for Domain Users

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Connecting to rdp - domain user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Connecting to rdp - domain user: I connect to the Windows 10 Professional with Microsoft Remote Desktop app for MacOS - on my Windows PC, I've account created by logging to Windows with my work credentials, name@company.com - which I understand is domain account(but the remote computer is not in domain...
  6. Authenticating a user from a disparat domain over RDP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Authenticating a user from a disparat domain over RDP: I have a Win10 work notebook which, many years ago, the desktop support guy set up so that I could RDP to the work notebook from my home computer. The reason for this is that the work notebook has a 14" screen and my home computer has 2x 28" screens so nuf said about that....
  7. User@Domain / Domain\User problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User@Domain / Domain\User problem: So I was checking my Windows 10 computer and saw that there was no domain, it was in a WORKGROUP. I needed to use the format "User@Domain" or "Domain\User" for something, and I do not know what to put. The username is just "User" and there is no password. submitted by...
  8. Issues with Local Users and Domain

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Issues with Local Users and Domain: Hi All New to all of this so apologies if I get some terminology wrong. I am currently in the process of trying to change the settings for the primary user account for a Windows 10 PC, but it would appear that the PC was a part of a domain which has restricted access to...
  9. Windows 10 domain user issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 domain user issues: Hey, I have had nothing but issues getting a Windows 10 Pro machine to work within a 2011 SBS environment. I have had issues with the firewall, which is now totally shutdown; it was preventing network applications from installing. It was just the domain element of the...
  10. Issue with adding an user computer to domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with adding an user computer to domain: I have an issue with one computer in my domain and i removed that computer from domain. But, i wanted that computer to add back into domain. Now the issue is i am getting an error message saying DC can't be contacted. The error message is as follows. " Note: This...