Windows 10: Don't create desktop display icon

Discus and support Don't create desktop display icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Desktop Icon My desktop display gets cluttered with .txt file icons. Is there a way to put a .txt file in the desktop folder and not create a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Frank C, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Frank C Win User

Don't create desktop display icon

Hi,
    Desktop Icon
    My desktop display gets cluttered with .txt file icons.
    Is there a way to put a .txt file in the desktop folder and not create a monitor display icon for it?
    It would be accessible from File Explorer via the desktop folder.
    Thanks

:)

Frank C, Apr 21, 2016

2. Some Google Shortcut Icons appear as empty folders when I choose to display the medium size icon on desktop

I created shortcuts on my desktop for Google Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar and Google Contacts. I replaced the icons that windows offered with icons I downloaded from the web. The four icons appear as I selected when I choose to display small icons
    on the desktop. When I change the size of the desktop icons to medium, the Google Drive and Google Calendar shortcuts display the same as they did when I used the "small" icon; however, the Google Mail and Google Contacts icons appear as empty folders.

I recognize that this is a minor problem, but I would rather have the correct icon display.

Thanks.

FailedCellar392, Apr 21, 2016
  3. Missing icon word

I installed Windows 10 afterre boot I noticed
    a Word file icons on the desktop
    is no longer displayed. A generic
    white icon appears in their place.
    I created another account
    on the same computer and displays correctly.

Important: I use Office 2007 and the icons
    are displayed correctly in the taskbar
    and start menu.

Can anyone help me?

MARIUSDAIA, Apr 21, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, why use the desktop? Especially if you don't want to see anything there?

The desktop is just a folder. Suggest you put the files into another folder... and put a shortcut to the folder on the desktop or in your start menu...

dalchina, Apr 21, 2016
  5. Frank C Win User
    OK, I'll do that.
    Thanks

Frank C, Apr 21, 2016
  6. That's your only solution as far as I know. The Desktop is just a folder, as dalchina explained, so anything visible in it, will be visible however you view the folder.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Don't create desktop display icon - Similar Threads - Don't create desktop

2. Icons not displaying on the desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons not displaying on the desktop: No icons displaying on the desktop. Done all the things, suggested on the internet, Microsoft support and everywhere else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-not-displaying-on-the-desktop/dae075be-a7c2-4932-a998-60e2734684a6
  3. DESKTOP ICON NOT DISPLAYING PROPERLY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DESKTOP ICON NOT DISPLAYING PROPERLY: On window 10 on my laptop 75% of my icons are a little white box with dialogue at the bottom of them to say what they are if I enlarge them they are bigger but still a blank icon Micro Soft has suggested I reinstall windows which I did but everything is still the same...
  4. Desktop display...icon location

Desktop display...icon location: I like to separate my icons into categories. However, recently all icons moved to the left side of the screen and I can not change any icon locations. How to I correct this so I can relocate the icon position on the desktop?...
  5. Toolbar small icons don't display text

Toolbar small icons don't display text: This happens when i use the show text option on small icons [ATTACH] Is there any way to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toolbar-small-icons-dont-display-text/39aa45fa-7430-43c8-b189-d5bbf0c1d5cf
  6. Create a desktop icon for Google Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a desktop icon for Google Drive?: I have installed Google Drive, and can access my uploaded files from a Speed Dial icon within Opera Browser. This works fine! But there is no desktop or system tray icon, and without uninstalling and re-installing Google Drive there is no way to fix this, and uninstalling...
  7. Create desktop icon for Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Create desktop icon for Mail: Wife would like a desktop icon for Mail but it isn't obvious how to do it. I know it can be done as I have one on my own box but can't remember how I did it or find the web post I must have used at the time. There is a well publicised method which opens Mail at a new message...
  8. Create desktop icon for Mail

in Windows 10 Support
    Create desktop icon for Mail: Wife would like a desktop icon for Mail but it isn't obvious how to do it. I know it can be done as I have one on my own box but can't remember how I did it or find the web post I must have used at the time. There is a well publicised method which opens Mail at a new message...
  9. Unidentified icon displaying on desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unidentified icon displaying on desktop: Today, I noticed a new icon on my Windows 10 Desktop: [ATTACH] If I right-click, no additional choices appear. The icon cannot be expanded. I have been unable to locate any possibly associated processes for this. Any ideas as to what this might be and how to remove...
  10. Desktop Icons...How To Create Them ?

Desktop Icons...How To Create Them ?: O.k.....Since switching to the Edge browser, I find that I cannot ''drag and drop'' anything from the favourites bar to the desktop, to create quick link icons.....at the moment I keep going back to Chrome, which allows you to do this....there must be a way surely, in Edge to...