Windows 10: Dont do a clean install / swap HD until you upgrade.

Discus and support Dont do a clean install / swap HD until you upgrade. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I thought ok time to upgrade this laptop. Give it a speed boost too, by putting in a new SSD. However it won't allow me to activate because of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by thedoc46, Aug 2, 2015.

1. thedoc46 Win User

Dont do a clean install / swap HD until you upgrade.

So I thought ok time to upgrade this laptop. Give it a speed boost too, by putting in a new SSD.

However it won't allow me to activate because of Win 10 Activation failed (Error code: 0xC004C003) I think its because I didn't upgrade first, and just put the new HD in, and went in for ISO download and cleaned installed.

I should be ok, in that I can throw my old HD in, and then upgrade, and then hopefully put my SSD back in and try the activation again.. If that doesn't work, I guess i'll need to install Win7 all over again, install the 2GB of patches and then upgrade. ugh.

I wish MS would just allow us to use our older OEM product key.

:)

thedoc46, Aug 2, 2015

2. The free upgrade lets you do a clean install on a blank Hard Drive, YES or NO?

Read the Answer at Andre Da Costa replied on June 2, 2015

All it mentions is that you have to have a qualifying Operating System to upgrade from.

Bill Smithers, Aug 2, 2015
  3. daslicht Win User
    The free upgrade lets you do a clean install on a blank Hard Drive, YES or NO?

Andre Da Costa wrote:

You need to start the upgrade from within a qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 whether you user the reservation app or download the .ISO.

You can't do a clean install with it on a blank SSD or hard disk.

Can we somehow do a clean install with the free upgrade of Windows 10 on a new blank SSD ?

YES or NO ?

How about this:

• Start upgrade process by getting the ISO on a qualified Windows machine
    • Format the computer
    • Reinstall using the downloaded iso
    ?

daslicht, Aug 2, 2015
  4. flhthemi Win User

I was using 8.1 then did the ISO upgrade. It activated and I had skipped entering the code at every prompt for it. THEN I did a clean/custom install. Deleted ALL partitions, created a new one and then installed. Skipped all the activation prompts and its installed and activated.

Just sayin, that's how I did a clean install....might be a better way but that's all I could come up with. It would be nice if we could just use the Win 8 DVD or the code for it...

flhthemi, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Dont do a clean install / swap HD until you upgrade. - Similar Threads - Dont clean install

2. Upgrading hardware and will do a clean install of windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading hardware and will do a clean install of windows: My PC says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft account" . Do I have to unlink/deactivate the product key on my current PC before shutting it down and swapping parts for the upgrade? The microsoft help section is pretty vague on the steps...
  3. Upgrade or Clean install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade or Clean install?: Are there any problems after updating from Windows 7 like sysytem being slow or crashing? How much free space is needed on C drive? submitted by /u/countdooku1729 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e3aga4/upgrade_or_clean_install/
  4. Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?: I want neither. I want a fix. I downloaded and put on USB that Microsoft thing designed for when you've got a BSOD or that BCD thing - when you're computer is in dire need of help. Lucky I did. Come home today and my computer is sitting there with a blue screen asking me...
  5. Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?: I want neither. I want a fix. I downloaded and put on USB that Microsoft thing designed for when you've got a BSOD or that BCD thing - when you're computer is in dire need of help. Lucky I did. Come home today and my computer is sitting there with a blue screen asking me...
  6. Upgrade or clean install

Upgrade or clean install: Hello everyone. What's preferable, an upgrade or a clean install? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-clean-install/01e13cd7-40ce-47ce-bd1a-e92de4b77f7c
  7. Swapping an HD into a new Laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swapping an HD into a new Laptop: I have a Lenovo X230 running Win 10 If I buy a new (second hand) X230 can I swap the HD from my current laptop into the new machine and Win 10 will not object? I have the license activation for this copy of Win 10 synchronised with my Outlook email account which might make...
  8. Upgrade or clean install - what do you use?

Upgrade or clean install - what do you use?: After my upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 I was very happy with the new OS on my Acer Aspire M3920 desktop. Everything worked perfect, no hardware or software problems at all. Then I read on several tech forums that many or mayby most people did prefer a clean install of...
  9. Upgrade or Clean install?

Upgrade or Clean install?: I installed Win10 (clean Install) then reinstalled Win7 (clean). I'm now going to reinstall Win10 again after getting answers to issues I had with it. So my question, is it easier to just upgrade to Win10 since my programs are already installed in Win7, rather than a clean...
  10. How do YOU clean install ? Do you follow a plan ?

How do YOU clean install ? Do you follow a plan ?: Thanks for the kind words Ed *Smile At some point I would like to do a TUT, in particular for installing and using AOMEI. Not enough hours in the day at the moment.