Windows 10: Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup

Discus and support Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! I'm setting up my first studio 5.1 surround system, but can't get Windows 10 to recognize a surround configuration.In the Windows Speaker setup, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GeoffSB, Jun 21, 2022.

1. GeoffSB Win User

Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup

Hi! I'm setting up my first studio 5.1 surround system, but can't get Windows 10 to recognize a surround configuration.In the Windows Speaker setup, I only see options for Mono and Stereo.My soundcard is a Motu 828es. In my Motu settings, Monitor A is set to Analog 1-6 5.1 and Drivers are up to date.Any ideas?Thanks!

:)

GeoffSB, Jun 21, 2022
  2. thomiel Win User

Windows with surround 5.1 speaker setup: Subwoofer is dead most of the time

Hi Brad! I too stumbled upon this article before and also tried the referred link.

"Note: If you have 5.1 speakers but you are unable to select
    5.1 Surround after clicking the Configure button (option greyed out or not available), the issue is part bug part Microsoft trying to push
    Sonic Surround and Dolby Atmos by forcing users off old technology. The issue has been around ever since Windows 10 launched and Microsoft doesn’t seem keen on fixing it. Instead, the company seems to opt for a planned obsolescence
    when it comes to 5.1 Surround sound. Despite a lot of users complaining that their 5.1 setups have stopped working once they’ve upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8, there’s still no official fix on the horizon."

This is explicitly not the case. I do have "some" 5.1 support. I just don't have a correct 2.0 to 5.1 upmix with bass management, which I used to have in previous Windows versions.

thomiel, Jun 22, 2022
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    5.1 surround sound not working :/

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to output 5.1 audio from your PC, the sound card of your computer should have the support for it. Not all soundcards can output 5.1 surround signal. However, you can try the following steps and see if it works.

• Right click on the Volume icon (bottom right corner) and select
      Sounds to open the sound Properties window.
    • Go to the Playback tab and right click on your 5.1 speakers and select Set as Default.
    • Right click on the speaker again and select Configure.
    • In the speaker setup window, select 5.1 surround and click Next.
    • Check all the checkboxes under optional speakers and click Next.
    • Check the checkboxes under Select full-range speakers if applicable and click Next.
    • Click the Finish button once the configuration completes and see if you get the desired output audio signal.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jun 22, 2022
  4. Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup

Problem with 5.1 surround sound

Hello Alison, thank you for your message! My name is Ted and I'm an Independent Adviser.

The sound card must support the output 5.1 audio from the PC. Follow the steps below to check if your sound card support output 5.1 surround signal.

1. Locate the Volume icon in the bottom right corner and right click on it

2. Select Sounds and open the sound Properties window

3. Move to the Playback tab to right click on the 5.1 speakers, then choose Set as Default

4. Right click on the speaker again and choose Configure

5. Select 5.1 surround in the speaker setup window and click on Next

6. Mark all the checkboxes next to optional speakers, then click on Next

7. Mark the checkboxes next to Select full-range speakers if applicable and click on Next

8. Once the configuration completed, click on the Finish and check if you get the desired output audio signal.

Ted Willson, Jun 22, 2022
Thema:

Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup

1. Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup - Similar Threads - Don't surround configuration

2. My system does not have any Speaker Configuration settings for surround sound, although the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My system does not have any Speaker Configuration settings for surround sound, although the...: My system does not have any Speaker Configuration settings for surround sound, and therefore I cannot run anything other than Stereo from my media PC. I have an ASUS TUF Gaming Z690 Plus WiFi D4 with an Intel i5-12600K that feeds via the Optical out port to a Yamaha HTR5490...
  3. My system does not have any Speaker Configuration settings for surround sound, although the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My system does not have any Speaker Configuration settings for surround sound, although the...: My system does not have any Speaker Configuration settings for surround sound, and therefore I cannot run anything other than Stereo from my media PC. I have an ASUS TUF Gaming Z690 Plus WiFi D4 with an Intel i5-12600K that feeds via the Optical out port to a Yamaha HTR5490...
  4. Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup

Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup: Hi! I'm setting up my first studio 5.1 surround system, but can't get Windows 10 to recognize a surround configuration.In the Windows Speaker setup, I only see options for Mono and Stereo.My soundcard is a Motu 828es. In my Motu settings, Monitor A is set to Analog 1-6 5.1...
  5. Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup: Hi! I'm setting up my first studio 5.1 surround system, but can't get Windows 10 to recognize a surround configuration.In the Windows Speaker setup, I only see options for Mono and Stereo.My soundcard is a Motu 828es. In my Motu settings, Monitor A is set to Analog 1-6 5.1...
  6. Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10: For my audio setup on my PC I use headphones plugged into a PS5 controller, which is plugged into the computer. The problem is that certain audio channels go through the speakers on the controller, and I can't find any way to disable them. After looking through settings a...
  7. Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10: For my audio setup on my PC I use headphones plugged into a PS5 controller, which is plugged into the computer. The problem is that certain audio channels go through the speakers on the controller, and I can't find any way to disable them. After looking through settings a...
  8. Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10

9. Stereo speakers are configured as surround speakers, meaning nonexistent speakers play the...

Stereo speakers are configured as surround speakers, meaning nonexistent speakers play the...: I have a couple of G560 speakers two front speakers and a subwoofer. I have discovered that they are configured as 7.1 surround speakers. In the "playback" settings of Windows 10, to "configure speakers", and when choosing my configuration, I can only choose "7.1 surround"....
  10. Windows with surround 5.1 speaker setup: Subwoofer is dead most of the time

Windows with surround 5.1 speaker setup: Subwoofer is dead most of the time: Every year or so, I try to get my home theatre 5.1 sound system to play back decent stereo sources with my Windows 10 PC. It worked well with previous Windows versions, so there must be a way somehow. I just tried with three different soundcards: A Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme...