Windows 10: Don't have permission to Move/Rename/Delete certain files or folders

Discus and support Don't have permission to Move/Rename/Delete certain files or folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Within specific areas on my PC mainly on other internal hard drives, every time I wish to Move / Rename / Delete any file or folder, I am greeted with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MohawkADE, Oct 26, 2020.

1. MohawkADE Win User

Don't have permission to Move/Rename/Delete certain files or folders

Within specific areas on my PC mainly on other internal hard drives, every time I wish to Move / Rename / Delete any file or folder, I am greeted with a message saying "You need to provide administrator permission to perform this action". Pressing continue reveals an access denied message, clarifying that it requires permission from what seems to be old local user accounts that no longer exists. My current user account is tied with my Microsoft account that is not the same name as the old accounts.

Don't have permission to Move/Rename/Delete certain files or folders 06888466-f66f-4678-9906-9903ee216383?upload=true.jpg

Note that my current user account is an administrator and I do have User Account Control settings disabled. Additionally, any new file deposited into these folders will also yield the same result.

Here's a list of things attempted thus far:

1. Changed properties/security settings to add Full control to my current user account; Windows still demands permission from old account
    2. In safe mode, copied all files into a new folder and deleted the old files; Windows still demands permission on copied files
    3. Created local account with same name as old account; Windows still demands permission from old account
    4. Enabled Administrator account to manipulate files; Windows still demands permission from old account

While I am able to manipulate any of my files as I please in Safe Mode, I REALLY don't want to reboot into Safe Mode every time I need to move, rename or delete a folder.

Do you guys have any remedies?

:)

MohawkADE, Oct 26, 2020
  2. silkstone Win User

Cannot delete .Trash-999 folder

So I am trying to delete a folder from my secondary HDD called .Trash-999 that is from and ubuntu bootdisk. I managed to do it on the c:\ drive, but on my d:\ drive i am getting an error telling me that i don;t have permission to delete it.

I recently had a problem with windows permissions and fixed it on the c:\ drive with a windows re-install but i accidentally set up windows on d:\ The files contained within are from a mistaken windows install, which i tried to delete through ubuntu, it seems that ubuntu was able to move the files to the trash, but unable to delete them entirely.
    When i go to security on the folder, it tells me that i don't have permission to do this action. although the permissions on the folder gives re/write to everyone. However, when i go to the individual folders in there, no one has permission and when i try to give permission i get an access denied message.

Update - I just found a nifty little program that adds a take ownership option to the right click menu, this has allowed me to (finally) delete all the folders/files i need to.

silkstone, Oct 26, 2020
  3. syfer Win User
    Cannot delete .Trash-999 folder

Hi may I ask what was the program name that used ownership option can you help me I have the same problem.

syfer, Oct 26, 2020
  4. louhoang Win User

File permissions to delete file

You can try the steps below

1. Right click the file to that you don’t have permission to access. Vlick Properties.
    2. Go to Security tab and select Edit.
    3. Select Add button
    4. Type Everyone then select Check Names. Click OK to save changes.
    5. you will be back in the previous window, under Group or users names, choose Everyone then check mark Full control.
    you can refer more: Fix: You dont currently have permission to access this folder in Windows 10

louhoang, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Don't have permission to Move/Rename/Delete certain files or folders - Similar Threads - Don't permission Move

2. the folder may have been moved renamed or deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    the folder may have been moved renamed or deleted: the folder may have been moved renamed or deleted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-folder-may-have-been-moved-renamed-or-deleted/adb31747-1a70-4f5e-a48b-8794f12a9425
  3. the folder may have been moved renamed or deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the folder may have been moved renamed or deleted: the folder may have been moved renamed or deleted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-folder-may-have-been-moved-renamed-or-deleted/adb31747-1a70-4f5e-a48b-8794f12a9425
  4. the folder may have been moved renamed or deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. All users don't have folder access permission, the folder cannot delete, rename.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All users don't have folder access permission, the folder cannot delete, rename.: There is a folder A under server Logs folder, all users cannot access folder A, can't delete and can't rename, even admins.Click "Advanced" in Untitled.png, it will show "unable to display owner.png", unable to display current owner....
  6. All users don't have folder access permission, the folder cannot delete, rename.

All users don't have folder access permission, the folder cannot delete, rename.: There is a folder A under server Logs folder, all users cannot access folder A, can't delete and can't rename, even admins.Click "Advanced" in Untitled.png, it will show "unable to display owner.png", unable to display current owner....
  7. Don't have permission to delete a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Don't have permission to delete a file: HelloI've downloaded a pdf which I want to delete now.When I try to delete it del / shift + del / options->delete no action is happening.When I try to delete it through the powershell as administrator I get a message that I don't have permission for this operation.I searched...
  8. Don't have permission to delete a file

Don't have permission to delete a file: HelloI've downloaded a pdf which I want to delete now.When I try to delete it del / shift + del / options->delete no action is happening.When I try to delete it through the powershell as administrator I get a message that I don't have permission for this operation.I searched...
  9. I don't have permission to delete, alter, or save to certain files

in Windows 10 Support
    I don't have permission to delete, alter, or save to certain files: As you probably read int he title, I need help because I can't delete, alter, or save certain files. I don't know why this is happening, but it's really annoying. I looked this up and only found a temporary solution that's a pain to do for EVERY SINGLE FILE that has this...
  10. Cannot delete, move, rename folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete, move, rename folder: Hello, I am having issues with a folder which I would like to delete. However, whenever I try to do that I am told I need admin access in order to do so. Problem is, I am the admin and if I go to Properties and in the Security tab, I am not allowed to do any changes and...