Windows 10: "Don't have permission to save" error

Discus and support "Don't have permission to save" error in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This makes me crazy. It's not a new problem, but seems to have come with the upgrade to Windows 10 a couple of years ago. But at the moment I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DebbienDC, Mar 2, 2019.

1. DebbienDC Win User

"Don't have permission to save" error

This makes me crazy. It's not a new problem, but seems to have come with the upgrade to Windows 10 a couple of years ago. But at the moment I'm trying to install some new software and it's really aggravating.

The full error message is:

"You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the ________ folder instead?"

Note: this is a personal laptop. I am the sole owner and user. There neither is nor ever has been another administrator.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

:)

DebbienDC, Mar 2, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

You don't have permissions to save in this folder

Which folder are you trying to save to?

If you aren't using the true administrator there will be certainly places you can't save to, or even access unless you manually change the security permissions to allow yourself access.

newtekie1, Mar 2, 2019
  3. paulbasel Win User
    Network Error Message when saving files in Office Programs

@bro67 – Partial success today. Thanks for hanging in there with me. I decided that before I use the tools you suggested, I would try to uninstall and reinstall Office once more.

This time Word now works properly when saving a file, at least the error isn’t kicked. However, if I try to browse one of the Save locations in the options menu the same error occurs. I have left them they way right now.

However, Excel throws a fit immediately when saving a file. I don’t have time today to try your tools suggestions but will look into it tomorrow.

Thanks

paulbasel, Mar 2, 2019
  4. "Don't have permission to save" error

Intermittent Issues with Permissions and Saving

Hi Human,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you recently made any changes on the device prior to this issue?
    3. Does this issue occur only with the particular application?

Step 1

Open the notepad application, try to save a test file and check if you are able to save the file. If you still gets the same error, then follow the bellow suggestions.

Try the below suggested step to verify whether if you have logged in as an administrator.

Step 2

1. Open the run command (Windows + R key). Type in “Netplwiz” and click on
      Enter to open the User Account settings box.
    2. Now select the user account that is giving you the error message.
    3. Click on Properties button and click on
      Group Membership tab.
    4. Here you can set the level of access that you want to give the user.
    5. Select Administrator and click
      Apply/Ok
      and exit.
    Restart your computer and check the status of the issue.

Step 3

Sometimes the user profile corruption might also be the possible cause for this issue. Hence you may try creating a new user profile and check the status of the issue.

Refer the article Create a local user or administrator account in
    Windows 10

You may also refer "Access Denied" or other errors
    when you access or work with files and folders in Windows for
    more information about the permission issues.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Mar 2, 2019
Thema:

"Don't have permission to save" error

1. "Don't have permission to save" error - Similar Threads - Don't permission save

2. "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message: Was trying to download a driver and save it on the drive where my OS is installed. Got the error message that read "you don't have permission to save in this location...". So tried changing user access and now nothing works. I can't click on start or right click on any...
  3. "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message: Was trying to download a driver and save it on the drive where my OS is installed. Got the error message that read "you don't have permission to save in this location...". So tried changing user access and now nothing works. I can't click on start or right click on any...
  4. "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "You don't have permission to save changes to this file"

"You don't have permission to save changes to this file": I'm the only one using this desktop, with only one user account. I have tried almost everything, under properties I have ensured that all admin/users have full control. I have run sfc /scannow. But it's still not working... All I want to do is trim my videos :- please help...
  6. You don't have permission to save in this location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You don't have permission to save in this location: I am getting this error message on all files in My Documents Just did the 9/8/2020 Win 10 update!!! "You don't have permission to save in this location"...
  7. you don't have permission to save in this location

you don't have permission to save in this location: Latest Windows update I am a developer and one client is having the issue that his app can't save ordinary text files to his Documents folder. They can be saved to the User root below Documents. I added 'everyone' with full control to the permissions list for Documents but...
  8. Don't have permission to save files

in Windows 10 Support
    Don't have permission to save files: Hi, I did try searching for help with this but it wasn't working for me so I wonder if anyone can help. I recently installed an SSD and cloned my previous C drive to it. Everything works fine. Except that I cannot save files in Program Files or Program Files x86 on the...
  9. "You don't have permission to save in this location"

in Windows 10 Support
    "You don't have permission to save in this location": I installed a photo editing program program (DxO Filmpack 3) which I had previously used successfully on a different computer that also runs Windows 10. But on my new computer, whenever I try to save a photo to a folder on my Desktop using the program, I get the following...
  10. Cannot save files "You Don't Have Permission to Save..." W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot save files "You Don't Have Permission to Save..." W10: I have recently upgraded to Windows 10. I loved the changes, until yesterday. I am signed in as the administrator of my account. I tried to save a simple spreadsheet to Documents in One Drive. I received this message: "You don’t have permission to save in this location....