Windows 10: Don't merge lists in Word – is it possible to set as default?

Discus and support Don't merge lists in Word – is it possible to set as default? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello, It took me some time to find the name of that function in English. I often have a multi-level list like the following. They are usually bullet... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by mgagnonlv, Aug 21, 2021.

1. mgagnonlv Win User

Don't merge lists in Word – is it possible to set as default?

Hello, It took me some time to find the name of that function in English. I often have a multi-level list like the following. They are usually bullet lists, not numbered lists, but the list-styles are the real ones : 1. This is style List1 1.1. This is style List 2 1.2. This is also style List 2 1.3. This is also style List 2 2. This is style List 1 3. This is style List 1 I often want to move item 1.2 between items 2 and 3. By default, Word reformats the paragraph as a "List 1" item and each time, I have to manually click on the icon "Do not merge lists" ("Ne pas fusionner la liste" in French). Unfortunately, I have not found a way to do it automatically, which means that cut and paste is almost always a 2-step process... and when I forget to do it on the spot, It requires even more work to reformat. My question. Is there a way to have "Do not merge lists" as the default? Because that's what I want, like 99.99% of the time. Thank you. BTW, versions are current: Windows 10, v.19043.1165 (in French) Office 2016 ] v. 2107, build 1428.20250 (in French)

:)

mgagnonlv, Aug 21, 2021
  2. mgagnonlv Win User

Hello,

It took me some time to find the name of that function in English.

I often have a multi-level list like the following. They are usually bullet lists, not numbered lists, but the list-styles are the real ones :
    1. This is style List1
    1.1. This is style List 2
    1.2. This is also style List 2
    1.3. This is also style List 2
    2. This is style List 1
    3. This is style List 1

I often want to move item 1.2 between items 2 and 3. By default, Word reformats the paragraph as a "List 1" item and each time, I have to manually click on the icon "Do not merge lists" ("Ne pas fusionner la liste" in French). Unfortunately, I have not found a way to do it automatically, which means that cut and paste is almost always a 2-step process... and when I forget to do it on the spot, It requires even more work to reformat.

My question. Is there a way to have "Do not merge lists" as the default? Because that's what I want, like 99.99% of the time.

Thank you.

BTW, versions are current:
    – Windows 10, v.19043.1165 (in French)
    – Office 2016 ] v. 2107, build 1428.20250 (in French)

mgagnonlv, Aug 21, 2021
  3. Mail merge with Windows Mail

Can you do a mail merge to email using Windows Mail? I've set my default email app to Mail, but it doesn't send the emails. I've done mail merges to Outlook in the past so have no trouble going through the right steps in Word, using an Excel list for the
    email addresses.

DavidKt_46, Aug 21, 2021
  4. Don't merge lists in Word – is it possible to set as default?

AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad Core Overclocking possibility

Thanks, have heard this before...is their a step by step procedure to OC using the bios settings you suggest.
    i don’t intend pushing this to its limit...but some increase would be great, any suggestions on a good air cooler ?

thanks

reddwarf4ever, Aug 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Don't merge lists in Word – is it possible to set as default? - Similar Threads - Don't merge lists

2. Setting default Word version for opening docs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting default Word version for opening docs: Hello, How do I choose a the default version of Word with which to open docs? Currently I have 2013 and 2019 installed, and the files are opened in 2013 by default. How do I set them so they're opened by 2019? When I go to "Open with" from the context menu and select Word...
  3. Set default list in Microsoft To Do

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Set default list in Microsoft To Do: Is it possible to have To Do open to a custom/user defined list? If so, how is that done? NOTE: I checked https://todosupport.helpshift.com/a/microsoft-to-do/?p=web but there was nothing there on this topic. Thanks for any help you can offier....
  4. Mail Merge in Microsoft Word

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mail Merge in Microsoft Word: The mail merge in my Microsoft Word Program suddenly quit being able to make labels or envelopes. If I click on either of those options, it just grinds away and never allows me to continue. It will do directories and letters....
  5. Set Microsoft Word Back to Defaults

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Set Microsoft Word Back to Defaults: For some reason only known to myself, I've messed around with Word settings and now I need to set it back to default (as it comes from Microsoft). Any help out there? *Redface 146971
  6. Word 365. Mail Merge

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Word 365. Mail Merge: G'day, When I open a new document in Word 365. I cannot see the Mail Merge Tab. Please could somebody tell me where I can find it. Cheers Perry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-365-mail-merge/ed02237b-9cbc-4a46-9683-1203faa32d7a"
  7. Can't Set Default Bullet in Word.. Smdh

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Set Default Bullet in Word.. Smdh: Is there a way to set default bullets in Word? I'm using Word 2019. It was suggested that I use the Styles task pane to set a default bullet. I did this and clicked on 'new documents based on this template' to set this default. But it doesnt work. Why the hell cant someone...
  8. Default Word settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Word settings.: On the current version of Word I cannot edit documents in reading or normal view. Switching back and getting all the carriage return and space marks appearing is a real pain. How do I reset this? I tried the online Help and the remote access guy did something but next...
  9. Default apps in settings is not on the list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default apps in settings is not on the list: I have a relatively new acer aspire, bing has sneaked into being my default browser but I can't change it because there is no Default apps in settings, it's not on the list. What can I do?...
  10. Is it possible to add legacy applications to Defaults list...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to add legacy applications to Defaults list...: I have an old Photoshop app (v.5.5) I've always used as the default to open .bmp, .jpg, .png and .tiff pics. Of course Win10 insists that I use their own 'Photos' app. Pshop isn't listed in any pic extension I look under. It sort of looks like in Settings/Apps/Apps and...