Windows 10: don't understand windows 10 documents file structure

Discus and support don't understand windows 10 documents file structure in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am attempting to clean up and streamline my file structure on my Windows 10 desktop computer. everything is messed up because I've upgraded and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RichardMase, Jul 23, 2021.

1. don't understand windows 10 documents file structure

I am attempting to clean up and streamline my file structure on my Windows 10 desktop computer. everything is messed up because I've upgraded and upgraded and upgraded since the 90's without ever really doing a clean install. However I do not understand how the documents, video, music and library folders work. In the old days it was easy, C;\folder name. Then they put things in documents and settings. Then there was My Documents. Then they added libraries. Now it looks like they are under users/username.Can somebody please explain to me how the file structure is supposed to look, the rel

:)

RichardMase, Jul 23, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 23, 2021
  3. Windows 10 File and Folder Structure

I want to reorganize the files and file structure on my Surface desktop computer and have several rather disjointed questions. My basic knowledge of file structure is based on the organization of the C drive from DOS. I don't have a typical office/windows
    application in some respects, but I could make it work if I understood where things were stored and why. I need to be able to include atypical locations, files and folders in backups. I thought I'd ask some very basic questions, understand the answers and
    be able to follow-up with more specific questions. I hope someone can help me through this learning process, please. I am the sole user of this computer and the administrator, although I also have a user account but find it confusing in some situations.

1. Where can I find an example of the original Windows structure - as in a newly installed product? I also have Office 365 so understanding where it fits in the file structure is necessary.

2. Looking at the installed configuration, I saw several folders listed first - documents, downloads, music, pictures. In exploring my C:\ drive, I see a few unnecessary folders and one that says Users. Clicking on Users, I see other folders and have
    another folder listed User. Selecting that folder gives me a long list of folders on my C:\ drive including documents, downloads, music, pictures which appear to have different locations from the first level of folders. It is likely I created this confusion
    and it does complicate backups and sometimes restores. Furthermore, I don't need all of these levels and it creates more confusion when saving stuff.

3. I have 1TB of internal storage. When I change the default location saving files and move existing files/folders to external drives, my storage space remains the same, dangerously full. How do I get the system to restore the space.

I realize this is confusing - at least to me. Is there a Microsoft book (online or hardcopy) you can suggest for me to understand these issues and how to reorganize my harddrive? I'm an old woman and just need some basic understanding to make this work.
    Thanks for any help from anyone!

Second Greatest Mom, Jul 23, 2021
  4. don't understand windows 10 documents file structure

File structure of windows 10

The Windows file and folder structure is exactly what you make it. When transferring pictures from one machine to the other then a simple way goes like this:

1. Drag the various folders from the old PC to a flash disk.
    2. Connect the flash disk to the new PC.
    3. Drag the flash disk folders into your Pictures library.
    In this way you end up with exactly the same folder structure as you had on the old PC.

Frederik Long, Jul 23, 2021
Thema:

don't understand windows 10 documents file structure

1. don't understand windows 10 documents file structure - Similar Threads - don't understand documents

2. File Structure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Structure: Evidently, I am not alone in trying to understand Windows 11 file structure. I have OneDrive for Cloud storage. Took me a while to realize that "myname-Personal" file was the OneCloud file. I'm OK with this now for OneCloud, but I am thoroughly confused about the file...
  3. File Structure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Structure: Evidently, I am not alone in trying to understand Windows 11 file structure. I have OneDrive for Cloud storage. Took me a while to realize that "myname-Personal" file was the OneCloud file. I'm OK with this now for OneCloud, but I am thoroughly confused about the file...
  4. I don't understand this . . .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I don't understand this . . .: Lately I've been having trouble, staying on the internet?When I turn it on, from being completely off.It says no internet. I have a Wi-Fi code, to get online.So I go look, for available Networks. Then I'm connected.My computer's a Dell laptop, running Windows 10.I had my...
  5. Windows 10 filing structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 filing structure: Can someone please explain the relationship between the various places from which photos may be accessed, eg This PC/Pictures or C/Users/John/Pictures? It seems to me that the contents of each are not identical. 158196
  6. I don't understand this . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    I don't understand this . . .: This a little, off subject. I do get to this Forum, on a computer, running Windows 10 That, should count, I guess? I'm a Kansas City Chiefs fan. I live near Kansas City. I watched Superbowl 54, live. The link below, will show you almost the whole game. But, the strangest...
  7. File Explorer - I don't understand it anymore

File Explorer - I don't understand it anymore: [ATTACH] That's my File Explorer layout. This is a new computer Dell XPS 8930. This machine has 2 drives: OS C: contains the operating system on a 256 GB SSD, and DATA D: is the 2TB harddrive. So far so good. Then there is something in File Explorer called "This PC" and...
  8. File Tree structure - Document moves from Old OS to Win 10

File Tree structure - Document moves from Old OS to Win 10: If I delete Word docs in one directory, they disappear from another. If I restore them from recycle bin, they restore to both. Ultimately, I'd like to delete the archaic Windows7 subdirectory which was original with the machine, and rely on docs moved to a directory above....
  9. File structure of windows 10

File structure of windows 10: I am so frustrated by the crazy windows file structure. I tried to transfer all of my photos from my old computer to the new one, but they all ended up in about 6 different locations. Plus my pictures on the old computer are in about 6 different locations too. I don't have...
  10. I don't understand Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    I don't understand Windows 10: MS says Win 10 is the last version of Windows. I don't understand all these different versions, Creators, Anniversary, Fast track, Insider Preview. I'm thinking of just dumping Windows and switch to a lite version of Linux like Zorin or Xubuntu. I just need an OS that runs...