Windows 10: Don’t use Windows 10’s ‘Optional Updates’ if you want a stable system

Discus and support Don’t use Windows 10’s ‘Optional Updates’ if you want a stable system in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Some users seek to be the first to use Windows 10 feature updates, cumulative updates and driver updates via Microsoft’s Windows Update. If you just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Sep 28, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Don’t use Windows 10’s ‘Optional Updates’ if you want a stable system

Some users seek to be the first to use Windows 10 feature updates, cumulative updates and driver updates via Microsoft’s Windows Update. If you just want a stable system, don’t go clicking “Download and install” button under the new “Optional updates” section for Windows 10 because you may unwittingly download drivers that you don’t need.

With a cumulative update in August, Microsoft introduced a new feature called “Optional updates” and it shows up only when updates are available.

With optional updates page, Microsoft said you can quickly and easily download and install drivers and monthly preview updates if you need them.

After Microsoft retired the automatic driver updates support in Device Manager last month, all your drivers can now be found and installed via this new optional updates screen rather than going into Device Manager.

Don’t use Windows 10’s ‘Optional Updates’ if you want a stable system Optional-updates.jpg

This page also offers unwanted drivers and if you don’t pay attention, you may download a driver that you don’t need—even if you were simply hoping for fixes.

Last week, Microsoft further expanded the reach of the optional updates and the company has started pushing a bunch of drivers from Intel. If you check for updates and go to optional updates screen, you will find a long list of old drivers that could negatively affect the performance of the system.

In other words, you really need to be careful when you’re selecting and installing drivers using the optional updates screen.

Microsoft said that users should use the feature only when they have a specific problem. Otherwise, you should consider grabbing updates from your manufacturer’s site or wait for automatic driver updates.

Don’t use Windows 10’s ‘Optional Updates’ if you want a stable system Intel-driver-updates.jpg

If you see driver patch listed as “Intel – System” with a release date of 1968, you should avoid it if the current driver version is newer than the one displayed above.

Likewise, you should also consider skipping Wi-Fi, printer or Bluetooth driver updates if you don’t have any issues or problems.

The problem with these so-called driver releases is that they’re outdated and may introduce new problems or upgrade blocks. In 2018, for example, Microsoft issued a driver patch that caused audio issues for some users.

This is because when you do driver updates via the optional updates screen, your drivers are actually downgraded to an old or OEM-locked version. Old drivers are often not compatible with apps and Windows 10 features updates. In addition, OEM-locked drivers could also prevent you from loading the latest drivers from Intel’s website.

The best option to download and install compatible drivers is still the manufacturer’s tools or websites.

The post Don’t use Windows 10’s ‘Optional Updates’ if you want a stable system appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Sep 28, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Windows 10 update options

No, not Option Six, I said Option Two step 6, here: Option Two Step 6,

3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Don’t use Windows 10’s ‘Optional Updates’ if you want a stable system

Windows 10 download speed issues

Try this method:
    • First of all from Start Menu, open Settings (Type settings in the search bar and it will appear).
    • locate and select “Update and Security“.
    • in this window, Locate “Advanced Options”. Click on it.
    • In Advanced Options; Click on “Choose How Updates are Delivered“.
    • Turn off Updates from more than one place.
    Your system will not work as a seeder for other Windows 10 users. It will give sudden boast to your Slow internet speed.

lorraine walsh, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Don’t use Windows 10’s ‘Optional Updates’ if you want a stable system

1. Don’t use Windows 10’s ‘Optional Updates’ if you want a stable system - Similar Threads - Don’t 10’s ‘Optional

2. You can install the Windows 11 Snipping Tool with video recording option on the stable...

in Windows 10 News
    You can install the Windows 11 Snipping Tool with video recording option on the stable...: Microsoft is testing a Screen Recorder option in the Snipping Tool. The feature is currently available for some users in the Dev Channel of the Windows 11 Insider Preview Program. [ATTACH] The company is taking its sweet time to roll out the app update to users. I got access...
  3. want stable window 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    want stable window 11: how I get stable window 11 :-- windows insider program developers to window 11 stable original https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-stable-window-11/61b83d69-8aed-4c3e-8acf-b5367b7f0f1b
  4. want stable window 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    want stable window 11: how I get stable window 11 :-- windows insider program developers to window 11 stable original https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-stable-window-11/61b83d69-8aed-4c3e-8acf-b5367b7f0f1b
  5. Hide Optional Updates - HOW DO YOU HIDE UPDATES YOU DONT WANT!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hide Optional Updates - HOW DO YOU HIDE UPDATES YOU DONT WANT!!!: HOW DO YOU HIDE UPDATES YOU DONT WANT!!! I dont want these Intel Updates - how do I get windows to HIDE THEM' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hide-optional-updates-how-do-you-hide-updates-you/fbc2b17f-5228-4a14-841f-bc845fbeaf2b
  6. BSOD not stable system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD not stable system: From new reports to the first. My system is feeling unstable since I installed it, I recently change the SSD because the same problem but in M2. Mostly unstable on streaming videos I think******************************************************************************** **...
  7. Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates?: Microsoft moved driver updates in Windows 10 from the Device Manager to the Optional Updates section of the Windows Updates settings application this year after the company announced the change in 2019. Windows 10 administrators who check these optional updates may see one...
  8. Can you use unactivated Windows 10 for as long as you want ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can you use unactivated Windows 10 for as long as you want ?: Hi ! I heard that you can install Windows 10 from Microsoft's site , and use it and not activate it , but you will not get some personalized function and customizations . Is it true ? I want to hear personal experience from someone that uses or used it unactivated or knows...
  9. I don’t want Windows updates!

I don’t want Windows updates!: I am really tired of any updates and problems I get with them. I want to stop them. How can I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-want-windows-updates/99cd2028-249e-48f5-ac92-8f90acbb0405
  10. Don’t Click "Check for Updates" Unless You Want Unstable Windows 10 Updates

Don’t Click "Check for Updates" Unless You Want Unstable Windows 10 Updates: From How To Geek --- https://www.howtogeek.com/369656/dont-click-check-for-updates-unless-you-want-unstable-windows-10-updates/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dont-click-check-for-updates-unless-you-want/911134f5-6d20-4394-a1b0-f11256d311f3