Windows 10: Don't want OneDrive to upload a folder inside Documents because is too big game save files

Discus and support Don't want OneDrive to upload a folder inside Documents because is too big game save files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Can I make OneDrive no to upload backup a fonder inside Documents? It is too big and fills my OneDrive. Thanks and regards Andres... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pintxo_21, Jan 18, 2021.

1. pintxo_21 Win User

Don't want OneDrive to upload a folder inside Documents because is too big game save files

Hello,

Can I make OneDrive no to upload backup a fonder inside Documents?

It is too big and fills my OneDrive.

Thanks and regards

Andres

:)

pintxo_21, Jan 18, 2021

2. Why I have TWO Documents folders?

ok so lemme start off my saying i recently wiped my system and installed windows 10
    and i noticed even more recently that i seem to have TWO documents folders...
    i have one that has nothing that it should in it and the other somehow is linked to Onedrive...
    the onedrive linked one has everything that the non onedrive should. (game saves, etc)
    my question is...why? is this normal cause i can't imagine it is...
    i don't think steam game save cloud will work with onedrive so i need to know, is this fixable WITHOUT another wipe? i have no idea how my onedrive got synced with my documents folder. i didn't set it up that way. any help is appreciated!
    thanks!

TheMatt1984, Jan 18, 2021
  3. Unlink my Documents folder from OneDrive

I recently reinstalled Windows and installed OneDrive, but did not launch it until yesterday. When I did I noticed that a large number of files were uploading - these were saved games, config files etc. from games saved in my Documents folder. As far as
    I have been able to work out:

• OneDrive has hijacked my Documents folder. There is now a Documents folder in OneDrive that is the same as the previous folder which was in the default location under C:\Users\<username>\Documents. The Documents folder is now at C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive.
    • I initially deleted the Documents folder (assuming a duplicate had been created in OneDrive). When I realised that this was the Documents folder *on my PC* I recovered it from the Recycle Bin.
    • Attempting to move the Documents folder back to its original location yielded an error message stating that location already existed and I did not have permission to move it.
    • I have tried unlinking my PC from OneDrive and setting it up again. This made no difference apart from now the option to relocate the Documents folder is missing.
    • If I go to Documents Properties > Sharing the folder is called 'MA'. 'MA' was one of my folders on OneDrive. The contents appear to have been replaced by the contents of my Documents folder. On my PC the folder is called Documents but if I log into OneDrive
      in a browser the folder is still called 'MA' but the contents are the same. I found the original contents of the 'MA' folder in the OneDrive Recycling Bin and was able to restore and back them up.
    • I have turned off backing up Documents under OneDrive settings>Backup but this has made no difference.

I would like to fully separate my OneDrive and Documents folders as I want to CHOOSE what to save to OneDrive, and do not need it full of config files from various games. Moreover the change is causing problems with games which cannot find the new location.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tommy_Cooker, Jan 18, 2021
  4. Don't want OneDrive to upload a folder inside Documents because is too big game save files

Utilities that I run can no longer automatically save files to my OneDrive

Hi Alan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To set OneDrive as your default location to save your documents and files, follow the below steps.

1. Click on the OneDrive icon from the Taskbar area > Click on the menu button (three-dots) on the top-right corner > Click on
      Settings > Go to the Auto Save tab.
    2. Using the drop-down menu, select OneDrive for
      Desktop
      , Documents, and Pictures and click on
      OK.
    3. Once you complete the above steps, restart the computer once and try saving the files generated from utilities and check if it is saving in
      C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents folder.

If you are still facing the same issue, then I suggest you to contact OneDrive support for further assistance on this issue by following the below steps.

• Login to
      https://onedrive.com/
    • Click the ? Help icon on the top banner of the page.
    • Select Email OneDrive support for the further assistance.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Don't want OneDrive to upload a folder inside Documents because is too big game save files

1. Don't want OneDrive to upload a folder inside Documents because is too big game save files - Similar Threads - Don't OneDrive upload

2. Documents folder inside Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder inside Documents folder: A question identical or similar to this was raised in 2021 on this forum but I don't quite understand the advice that was given then. I have this annoying setup on my system, which I seem to have had ever since Windows 7 came along: In the right pane of File Explorer the...
  3. Documents folder inside Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder inside Documents folder: A question identical or similar to this was raised in 2021 on this forum but I don't quite understand the advice that was given then. I have this annoying setup on my system, which I seem to have had ever since Windows 7 came along: In the right pane of File Explorer the...
  4. Documents folder inside Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 'Documents' Folder Nightmare!! because of Onedrive

'Documents' Folder Nightmare!! because of Onedrive: HiMy son got a new laptop. Had no idea that everything was being saved in 'Documents' in the Onedrive.Moved everything from there to PC Documents wasn't much and Unlinked to the OneDrive. But in the Library, Documents location is still the Onedrive folder and NOT the PC...
  6. Inkscape is saving to OneDrive folder and not Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Inkscape is saving to OneDrive folder and not Documents: When I go to export a PNG to This PC -> Documents Inkscape is saving to OneDrive/Documents instead. I don't have OneDrive installed. I don't want to have anything to do with OneDrive. 174830
  7. Xbox Game files too big for discord

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox Game files too big for discord: So i was looking for a screen recorder but i realized xbox was a good one plz note that im on windows so i started playing a game and when i wanted to upload it to discord it said too big once i checked the file size it was 110 MB so i compressed it that made it 106 so i need...
  8. Not uploading documents to OneDrive?

Not uploading documents to OneDrive?: I just signed up for OneDrive, but only wanted to upload individual OneDrive notebooks. But now all documents, pictures and videos were automatically uploaded to the cloud. If I remove these folders in the OneDrive settings under "Select Folder", they are no longer visible on...
  9. Files and folders gone inside Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Files and folders gone inside Documents: I really don't know what happened. My folders in my documents are gone. I was pulling a repo using sourcetree then it got an error(saying something about it didn't got all the files needed). I just canceled that for a while and returned to unity(a different repository) but...
  10. No authority to save files to Documents, OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    No authority to save files to Documents, OneDrive: I initially posted about this problem a few days ago to a thread that seemed to be addressing a similar problem, but the OP decided to stop pursuing active solutions so the advice dried up. I am running Win10 build 10240 and ever since build 10166 I have lost authority to...